I have two amps but one Cab - an Orange 112 with one input and one output for an additional cab.
I have already gone through some of the posts and this was the closest sounding one, but got almost a bit too technical (plus I have never built a pedal myself before)

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1674274&highlight=two+amps+one+cab

By the sound of it, Radial make good options for this kind of scenario.
Can anyone here suggest or confirm this option for switching between two amps with one cab? Thanks!
Hooper drives the boat chief...
You are refering to the Headbone. If you intend to use it with two tube amps the Headbone VT is what you are looking for.
Quote by Gab_Azz
You are refering to the Headbone. If you intend to use it with two tube amps the Headbone VT is what you are looking for.

Have you personally tried it before? It is quite a pricey option. Couple hundred bucks more and I can almost get another Orange Cab. Any idea if there are cheaper options?
This is a somewhat delicate subject because two active amp heads switching between one cab has to be done just right or the potential of having a serious malfunction is quite high. Can't say that I ever thought of doing it myself but if I was to do it I'd want the best switcher I could find. Personally if you are not completely happy with with either head I'd trade or sell them and buy one head I was happy with.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by Rickholly74
This is a somewhat delicate subject because two active amp heads switching between one cab has to be done just right or the potential of having a serious malfunction is quite high. Can't say that I ever thought of doing it myself but if I was to do it I'd want the best switcher I could find. Personally if you are not completely happy with with either head I'd trade or sell them and buy one head I was happy with.

Well, the last thing I want is a serious malfunction. I am very happy with both amps, but they both have unique sounds and depending on what song I am playing I need that sound. In the practice room I can just manually switch the cables, but for gigging it would be quite an ordeal. I guess the best and most simplified option is to get a second cab and Boss LS (line selector). Thanks for the input guys and/or gals.
The headbone works fine, however, getting a second cab opens up the option of using them at the same time, which is awesome in some cases.

I'd only get the headbone if hauling an extra cab is a problem.
Putting a regular ABY switch between 2 heads and one cabinet will cause to damage to one or both of your amps.
Quote by Fumble fingers
would a AB/Y switch work for this ??

Absolutely not.

Not only do you have to switch between the two heads, but you have to disconnect the one head from the cabinet *before* you connect the other head. More importantly, you have to have a load on the head that's not actually connected to the speaker to avoid damage to the head, so the Headbone needs to lift the connection from one head and shift it to the load, then establish the connection from the other head to the speaker, and do so without "popping" either one.

There's a specific Headbone for switching between two tube heads, another for switching between a tube and a solid state amp, and yet another for switching between solid state heads

http://www.tonebone.com/headbone.php
I'd considered a headbone solution at one point, but ultimately decided the easiest thing was to carry a 2x12 cabinet and wire it in stereo so that each head could have its own speaker. Overall, the 2x12 weighed less and took up less space than a pair of 1x12s.

At that point, a simple A/B/Y box out front of them would allow me to use either or both heads together.
I have a ABY with a 212 that has a stereo option built in, each speaker is a V30 so they can each handle 50watts. For this scenario an ABY is all that is needed.

I would suggest just getting a stereo 2x12 or wiring it in stereo yourself. 2x12s with wheels aren't that cumbersome at all and there's much more you can do with them.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Quote by dspellman
I'd considered a headbone solution at one point, but ultimately decided the easiest thing was to carry a 2x12 cabinet and wire it in stereo so that each head could have its own speaker. Overall, the 2x12 weighed less and took up less space than a pair of 1x12s.

At that point, a simple A/B/Y box out front of them would allow me to use either or both heads together.

Curiosity question, since I'm too lazy to figure out the dispersion patterns and you've probably already done it.

Say we use a 4x12 this ^ way. Left bank/Right bank or cross pattern (upper left lower right etc.)?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Curiosity question, since I'm too lazy to figure out the dispersion patterns and you've probably already done it.

Say we use a 4x12 this ^ way. Left bank/Right bank or cross pattern (upper left lower right etc.)?

Vertical banks, right and left. You'll get wider horizontal dispersion if you have two different guitarists playing or two different sources. Cross pattern does nothing for you at all.

If the program material is the same (just coming from two different amps), you'll get the same dispersion pattern as if you simply ran one amp through the cabinet with all four speakers.

Best horizontal dispersion pattern for four 12" speakers running the same material is a single vertical column of four speakers. It forms a vertical line array, same as the flying PA speakers.
Quote by dspellman

This is what I'd do. Simple and reliable.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I have seen it work at the local store but I have never owned one I always owned combo amps. It is pricey because it is from a nice brand and I would rather get an expensive piece of gear from a thrust worthy manufacturer rather than risk blowing an amp. I would prefer getting another cab as you mentioned, but I tried to reply what you asked for.
Thanks again everyone for the feedback, it has all been very helpful. Got some good ideas now of what is possible and what I can do.