Hi,

I hope these kind of threads are allowed!

I haven't played an acoustic since the cheap one I learnt on, but am looking to buy one in the next month or so. In the past I've only ever really played punk/power pop, but I want to branch out.

Basically I'm after a 6-string steel string guitar I can use to learn some fingerpicking and delta blues stuff, some of which I'll be using a slide for so I guess I want one with a relatively high action. However, I also want the option to use it for folk/country stuff, so it has to be pretty versatile. I'm not really that interested in resonators, but if there's one that's really worth it I might be interested. Something sub-£300 would be nice, ideally it'd be the kind of thing I could use live in small pubs but that's not a deal-breaker to be honest because it's not something I'd be immediately getting into.

Any ideas in terms of brands or models? I don't really have a clue about acoustics so it'd be nice to have a decent idea before I go shopping and get drawn in by the recommendations of one shop assistant!

Cheers
also I guess £300 would be roughly $400-450 in the US (exchange rate says 450 but I dont think that always translates so well into actual prices)
In the UK, Busker, metal body. - Cheap wood bodies are dodgy. There is a trade-off between high action for slide and playability for fingerpicking. I mostly go for low action and a light touch for slide - a heavy glass bottleneck won't do too much damage to the frets, but it won't sound as good as a heavy brass slide and a bit higher action.
Quote by Tony Done
In the UK, Busker, metal body. - Cheap wood bodies are dodgy. There is a trade-off between high action for slide and playability for fingerpicking. I mostly go for low action and a light touch for slide - a heavy glass bottleneck won't do too much damage to the frets, but it won't sound as good as a heavy brass slide and a bit higher action.

Thanks Tony, I'd probably be only using a glass slide (i've been fiddling around with one on my electric and it feels like it suits me best). Thanks for the advice about the action, I'm not exactly a naturally gifted picker so a more 'playable' guitar would definite be more suited for me, even if it's at the expense of something more suitable for slide.

Do you really think there wouldn't be any decent wood bodies for £300ish that would suit?

I'm a bit hesitant about buying a metal body as even though I'm interested in playing a lot of blues kind of stuff, I'll be hoping to use it for other styles of music too...

Thanks again for your advice.
I bought a Republic Miniolian, a parlor sized wood body reso. I'm almost certain that is the same as Busker, just a different importer badge. It sounds great, but the cheaply-made plywood soundwell started delaminating after a few months, and would probably have fallen apart if I hadn't spotted and fixed it (about 12 tubes of superglue and some clamps), so it is buyer beware. I had an Epiphone Biscuit that was pretty good, and a good replacement cone worked wonders. I also hardened the soundwell by soaking it in superglue, and added some posts between the soundwell and the back of the guitar. So you can get an inexpensive clunker and do things that have a good chance of making it sound a lot better. I'm not sure what is available these days, as it is a long time since I looked at resos - IIRC Regal are pretty good, and Recording King have a good reputation.

Thomann have a good range:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/resonator_guitars.html

I was thinking it terms of resos, but you could just use an ordinary flattop. I've played a few inexpensive flattops over the years, because my mate owns a music store, and a lot of cedar-topped guitars seem well-suited to slide. They often have a strong response in the high regsters, which is good for slide. Tanglewood have some nice ones with cedar tops, though I've found good ones in a few different makes.