http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32475030

At least 3,617 people are now known to have died in a massive earthquake which hit Nepal on Saturday, police say.

More than 6,500 people have been injured, according to the National Emergency Operation Centre.

Dozens of people are also reported to have been killed in neighbouring China and India.
More than 200 climbers have been rescued around Mount Everest, which was struck by deadly avalanches in the 7.8-magnitude quake.

Vast tent cities have sprung up in Nepal's capital, Kathmandu, for those displaced or afraid to return to their homes as strong aftershocks continued. Thousands spent Sunday night - their second night - outside.

Officials have warned that the number of casualties could rise as rescue teams reach remote mountainous areas of western Nepal.

Initial reports suggest that many communities, especially those close to mountainsides, suffered significant quake damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=946BfN-OI-Q

As of today, more than 4,000 people have died.

I'm really not sure what to say to this. It isn't like what I can say will make anything better. But I feel sad. That death toll is horrendous.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 27, 2015,
legit awful. One of the worst things this year so far. just real real awful
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Saw that, been reading a bit about it, its pretty shit

was there no warnings or did it just happen? I know sometimes scientists can detect earthquakes before they happen

and isn't Japan about to get hit by a massive tsunami too?
that would be one of the most terrifying things ever
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by Bladez22
Saw that, been reading a bit about it, its pretty shit

was there no warnings or did it just happen? I know sometimes scientists can detect earthquakes before they happen

and isn't Japan about to get hit by a massive tsunami too?

Scientists and geologists have been tracking building seismic pressure under the Himalayas for years now, but this one was kind of out of the blue as the plates kind of slid a little but didn't release any real pressure. So there's still a magnitude 8-9 quake predicted in the forseeable future in the exact same area.

A guy I know on facebook is in Kathmandu doing photography atm, and has been reporting optimistic locals and good spirits among communities who are banding together and building entire "refugee" camps outside the danger zones. Many food vendors and hotels that survived are operating on no profits which is good feels, but man this is a shitty shitty situation all round.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Scientists and geologists have been tracking building seismic pressure under the Himalayas for years now, but this one was kind of out of the blue as the plates kind of slid a little but didn't release any real pressure. So there's still a magnitude 8-9 quake predicted in the forseeable future in the exact same area.

A guy I know on facebook is in Kathmandu doing photography atm, and has been reporting optimistic locals and good spirits among communities who are banding together and building entire "refugee" camps outside the danger zones. Many food vendors and hotels that survived are operating on no profits which is good feels, but man this is a shitty shitty situation all round.

thanks, couldn't find that info anywhere. That second quake is gonna be fvcking awful. It must be terrifying to have to jut wait to get hit again
Quote by SkepsisMetal

Fuck me.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
^that bonding together in the face of united tragedy is magical and i think it says a lot about humanity

but yeah very very sad.

here's probably the top-rated charity to help out

http://www.directrelief.org/
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
I get a feeling like this will make everest a little more dangerous to climb even in the following years as the rocks settle back into place.I always wanted to go but this adds another variable in a possible climb.*tear drop for all the people. Sadhus and monks
The International crisis aid has been pretty good so far to be fair, I just hope it keeps up. This could end up being one of the worst humanitarian crises in our generation if prolonged help isn't given.

This is one of the articles that touches on it
http://www.firstpost.com/world/nepal-isnt-the-big-one-the-next-himalayan-quake-maybe-far-more-serious-and-closer-to-home-2214286.html

And an early journal that predicted such activity in the area
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/293/5534/1442
Quote by zachacgt
I get a feeling like this will make everest a little more dangerous to climb even in the following years as the rocks settle back into place.I always wanted to go but this adds another variable in a possible climb.*tear drop for all the people. Sadhus and monks

I think that people need to stay the hell away from Everest. It's incredibly overdone these days, littered with trash, and more like a bucket list for the rich as opposed to an actual climb problem.

As much of a tragedy as this is, I hope that it keeps people away from Everest for awhile, because quite frankly the mountain is being desecrated.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
I think that people need to stay the hell away from Everest. It's incredibly overdone these days, littered with trash, and more like a bucket list for the rich as opposed to an actual climb problem.

As much of a tragedy as this is, I hope that it keeps people away from Everest for awhile, because quite frankly the mountain is being desecrated.

Agreed. Pretty much any asshole with money and a reasonable capacity for altitude conditioning can summit Everest.

Want to work for it? Try the South-Southwest pillar of K2 (Magic Line).

I don't know if it's the hardest climb in the world, but it's harder than I'll ever try.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I have a friend who lives just outside Nepal. I think he lost some relatives.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
there are a lot of people with family in nepal at my school. i think they we will be organizing charity efforts. i'm gonna hit them up.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by MadClownDisease
This is really a Nepal-ing tragedy.

What Kathmandu in the face of such unstoppable power of nature?

dude.

you're a genius

Quote by MadClownDisease
This is really a Nepal-ing tragedy.

What Kathmandu in the face of such unstoppable power of nature?

I laughed but real talk this is sad and I wish I could do something.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day

I would gladly donate to those scientists trying to figure out when and how that next big Himalayan earthquake will happen.
Hearing qualified scientists basically say "Nepal will be utterly ****ed soon by an even greater earthquake" makes me much more scared than what is happening right now. This is a tickle compared to what they are predicting.

Shit I'm so glad that I live in the most boring country in the world, disaster-wise.
Last edited by gonzaw at Apr 29, 2015,
I was in Nepal for a couple of months, I loved it, Katmandu is an amazing city. I feel really bad for them but things happen....so some of you believers can just blame god on this one, he can be a total ass right?
according to my stupid grandfather, this was prophesied by the Bible.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo

did u tell ur grandpa to shove that bible up his ass?

(don't, btw)
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
did u tell ur grandpa to shove that bible up his ass?

(don't, btw)

sometimes i make the mistake of challenging one of his stupid religious rants with reason and that always explodes in my face. (literally. he practically screams in my face, and funnily enough, contorts his face so he looks like some kind of satanic creature)

so no, i don't think i'll tell him to shove his bible up his ass.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo

maybe it's time to send him to the nursing home
Is anyone else finding it a little ironic that this happened the day before Inge Lehmann's birthday?

at any rate, sad news and I feel useless sitting here but what can I do?
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day