I'm just getting back into playing and was wondering what's the best bang for buck large amp for around 150 preferably on amazon
There's no "best" amp really, and for that money you're not gonna get anything worthwhile.

Why don't you try again following these directions?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
For $150?

Nothing, keep saving.

While you can buy an amp on Amazon for that amount, you'll hate it in short order.

Or try answering the following and perhaps we can help a bit more.

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
if you save just a little bit more then you can get yourself a Peavey Vypyr which will fit the bill.
Yikes, for $150 you're not gonna get much 'bang'. Save up a little more and get an egnater, valveking, blackstar, jetcity, etc.

For $150, the best I could recommend is a good used epi valve jr. but it's tiny
You're not going to find much in the way of a high-wattage amp for under $200. You'd probably just find a head. Off the top of mine (my head), there's the Marshall Mosfet, Peavey Supreme, Peavey Windsor (basic tube head). Those are all quite good. Your best cheap option might be something like a Behringer Ultra G DI box, $40 American. Connect your pedals to that and go to the mixer and have all the loud you'd need.
I'd NEVER grab a Bugera. Save more money and answer our questions.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by negativefx
It's not the owner that will go wrong, it's the Bugera.

Maybe. But it's $280. And it's got a warranty.

What's your suggestion for a similar alternative in that price range?
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Maybe. But it's $280. And it's got a warranty.

What's your suggestion for a similar alternative in that price range?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-6505-Plus-1X12-60W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110512722-i3920854.gc

Of course, 280 and 300 is still a good bit over budget.

I'd maybe even suggest an SS amp if you're stuck to $150. You can get a Vypyr 75 at that price. I have a Raven RG60 and don't think it's terrible, they have 100 watt and 200 watt 2x12 models.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by tas38
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-6505-Plus-1X12-60W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110512722-i3920854.gc

Of course, 280 and 300 is still a good bit over budget.

I'd maybe even suggest an SS amp if you're stuck to $150. You can get a Vypyr 75 at that price. I have a Raven RG60 and don't think it's terrible, they have 100 watt and 200 watt 2x12 models.

Didja miss the 'warranty' part?

As to the bolded, you've just flushed your credibility down the crapper...
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

That's been gone for quite a while, it's okay.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
For $150 bucks you can probably buy one Celestion Greenback speaker and then next paycheck get a second one until you have an amp

Seriously though, depending on styles, you can probably grab a big wattage solid state combo from Randall or Peavey from a pawn shop at around that price or maybe some kind of powered PA/speaker system.

The older Marshall VS series has some decent to good sounds at around 50 watts and up so that'd be my suggestion.
Last edited by diabolical at Apr 28, 2015,
Quote by diabolical
For $150 bucks you can probably buy one Celestion Greenback speaker and then next paycheck get a second one until you have an amp

Seriously though, depending on styles, you can probably grab a big wattage solid state combo from Randall or Peavey from a pawn shop at around that price or maybe some kind of powered PA/speaker system.

The older Marshall VS series has some decent to good sounds at around 50 watts and up so that'd be my suggestion.

For $150 you can get 2 Eminence GB128 which are IMO better than a G12m25
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
$150? The Roland Micro-Cube is nice.

Mow lawns, wash cars, sweep floors until you can get a decent amp. Decent sounding small ones can be found for $300. Decent sounding larger ones that don't totally suck are closer to $600. The last thing you want to do is drag around a big ol amp, set it all up, turn it on, and nothing but crappy sucking guitar tone comes out. Aaak!

The best bang for the buck is always to buy used because you can often find a decent amp for 1/2 price.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Arby911

"We are gonna take a short break now while I go and get a replacement amp from GC"
Quote by Ippon

a 333/XL would be better bang for buck if it could be found a similar price
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Maybe he could go for a used Yamaha THR10X?
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Maybe a used Bandit? To get anything even remotely decent, you're gonna have to go used.

Some of these suggestions are truly horrible. Well, they'd have to be for me to rec a Bandit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You can find used flextone3 xl's for that. A very workable 150 watt 2x12 combo with an xlr outs,midi,effectsloop,headphones. covers every style of music and even though its a modeling amp it uses vetta tech. so it sounds great. I really like the jcm800 channel. Thanks to line6 having such a bad reputation from there spider series these gems go for cheap.
Quote by Arby911

"Warranty" means that you get to pack up your amp, send it away and wait.

I've never sent an amp in for warranty repairs in my life. Useless as tits on a boar hog.

You'd much rather pay for a better quality amp than for a warranty.
As mentioned, $150 isn 't going to buy Big OR Bang.

At $350, you can pick up some absolutely killer amps on the used market if you know what you're looking for OR if you have a good tech on speed dial who can take a look at the amp with you and go over it.

If you're buying a tube amp, look up what a complete retune will cost you and figure that into the cost of the amp, no matter what the seller says about what's in there. You may not NEED those tubes right away, but you'd rather have them from day one than sit and wait for them to come in.
I had warranty repair on one of my Peavey amps but a certified tech in my city, all paid by the manufacturer. At least at the time (2 years ago) they had certified Peavey techs in Houston. So, it wasn't totally useless. If I had to ship it, it probably would've cost $120 to get it to the manufacturer.
Quote by dspellman

I've never sent an amp in for warranty repairs in my life. Useless as tits on a boar hog.

Better quality amps fail too. No manufacturer has a perfect record.

If I'm not going to gig or I have several other amps, warranty is a good thing. I just bought a Bugera 6262 2x12 because MF is blowing them out to only stock the Infinium versions. A $30 no fault 2 year warranty seemed reasonable to me since the amp only cost $280
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Better quality amps fail too. No manufacturer has a perfect record.

If I'm not going to gig or I have several other amps, warranty is a good thing. I just bought a Bugera 6262 2x12 because MF is blowing them out to only stock the Infinium versions. A $30 no fault 2 year warranty seemed reasonable to me since the amp only cost $280

I don't buy GC's extended warranty, either.

Given the number of amps, guitars, keyboards and accessories I've purchased (new and used), the amount I've spent on fixing *anything* over the years has been a tiny fraction of the 10-15% of the purchase price that GC wants. And that includes repairs that have occurred well after any warranty would have long since run out.
I hate warranties. Delays making mods to the amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by dspellman

Quote by dspellman

Given the number of amps, guitars, keyboards and accessories I've purchased (new and used), the amount I've spent on fixing *anything* over the years has been a tiny fraction of the 10-15% of the purchase price that GC wants. And that includes repairs that have occurred well after any warranty would have long since run out.

+311
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by dspellman

I don't normally either, but it's on a case by case basis.

$30 seemed cheap enough.

If this amp ever sees a gig, it will be a "friends and family' affair that I'm not getting paid for anyhow, so if it fails me I'll just go "sorry" and drink another beer...

If gigging was how I paid my bills it might be different. (Or not, in that case I'd probably have an MFX rig similar to yours...I buy tube amps because I LIKE tube amps, not because they are necessary to the task.)
Charles Darwin
Quote by Cathbard
Maybe a used Bandit? To get anything even remotely decent, you're gonna have to go used.

Some of these suggestions are truly horrible. Well, they'd have to be for me to rec a Bandit.

Agree. Back in the day the bandit went a long way for the money.
save 50 and grab a peavey vyper tube or line 6 vetta
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.