I'm about to lay down some guitar tracks for this recording project I just started, so I want some advice from experienced recording musicians out there. In your experience do you consider it a worthy endeavor to make sure your guitar has fresh strings when u record?
Yes; fresh strings before you record (for both guitar and bass) will give your tone life and vibrance that old strings have lost with their age.

EDIT: Spambot_2 makes a point about breaking strings in; when I said new strings give you life and vibrance, I don't mean literally fresh out the box strings. I would suggest changing strings 1-2 days before you start recording if you don't play very often, or if you play every day, just make sure you have played for a few hours before recording.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Last edited by BV-95 at Apr 28, 2015,
Not really.

Most of the times new strings sound exaggeratedly twangy and need to be "broken in", so I simply change strings often enough so that they sound good for whenever I wanna play and/or record.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I'm with Spambot. Though I change my strings more often than most (I think) I know what kind of sound I want on my guitar and I'll change them a few days before recording if I feel they are not what I want to hear. I remember seeing a video with one of Eric Clapton's guitar tech's who upset Clapton by changing the strings the guitar he uses when he records using a slide. He likes his slide guitar to have fairly dead strings and along with that guitar he has other specific guitars that his techs are forbidden to change strings on unless Clapton asks for them to do it. Apparently he has specific guitars with older strings for certain songs.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 28, 2015,
I prefer them new, like a day or 2 old is perfect, stretched. Chris Squire used to put new bass strings every day in the studio.
Preference.

Some people may prefer new, some may prefer old. Use whatever gives you the exact sound you're looking for.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I like coated strings on my acoustic, and i prefer them at least a few days in after a string change. That would be ideal to record for me, and I would plan ahead to have relatively new strings on there if I was going to record. Coated strings last real long, so I'd be fine even a month in, with a set of those. But non coated strings I find have a very short sweet spot, between too new, and getting old. If I used a set of those, I would prefer to record sort of next day, or a couple days in. Not so much a week or a couple weeks in, like I could do with coated strings.
Definitely new, one day or two day old, already stretched and with 2-3 hours of play on them.
Preferably on bass as well, but they're much more expensive.

Having worked as recording engineer, I can honestly say that there is a huge difference. They might sound twangy at tracking time but the difference in clarity and vibrance of the signal certainly pays off. The highs need a lot less eq for example, and the guitars, especially in heavy gain situations have a lot more bite.

The difference for bass is phenomenal, from muddy, lost in the mix to punchy and present.

So usually nowadays, when I record bands I tell them to change strings. The cost definitely pays off if you factor in tracking and mixing time spent fixing issues from dead strings.

Punk rock bands never bring in new strings, I've had sessions fall apart from punk rockers breaking strings. One band even had their lead guitarist sit out a whole recording session because he popped a string in the opening song. Then he was "the studio has no spare strings I can borrow?"....duh, moron, I told you all to bring in new sets and get your instruments tuned up and setup by luthiers, common setup is about $40 a piece, and these guys were paying $75 per hour studio time. Anyhow, rant over

For home studio I guess all this is irrelevant as you're the engineer, etc. I tend to change strings on FR guitars less often, my Jackson Soloist is sporting 2 year old strings and I still track with it
I totally agree with the people who said you should use one-to-two-day-old strings and break them in for a few hours. I just finished up a recording project with a guitar that was tweaked, cleaned, and restrung and the difference was noticeable. Unless you really know what you are doing, find a good guitar tech to restring your guitar. I recommend D'Addario nickel wound strings 10 standard (at least for rock/metal projects in E flat tuning).
I always use new strings on my recordings. It does not matter if I play guitar or bass, but the difference for bass is a lot bigger, as diabolical already mentioned
"dream your life and make it come true"
Quote by selftaught1000
Unless you really know what you are doing, find a good guitar tech to restring your guitar.

Why? That would be a huge waste of money. Taking your guitar to a shop for maintenance shouldn't be your first option unless there's a serious problem with it (broken neck kind of serious). Learn to do things yourself.
Hey if you can afford a good tech, more power to you. That's what my other guitarist does as the tech we like lives near his place. In my case I found two butchers last time (thanks Guitar Center and Evans Music), so I learned to do things myself. I prefer techs to handle my Floyd Rose setups though as they're quite annoying to do and a setup with new strings is under $40 around here so not that bad of a deal if you're a gigging musician.
Once you've taken the time to really learn how to do it, setting up a guitar with a Floyd Rose is a doddle, especially if you're keeping the same gauge of strings and just swapping old for new. Both my gigging guitars have FRs on and I set them up myself, like my other guitars Once they're settled in tune, don't have to touch them for months other than the occasional tweak of a finetuner, until a string goes.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.