I thought it might be nice to discuss who your favorite producers or mixing/recording engineers are. I'm not taking about a favorite band or song but those guys who actually turn the knobs, raise the faders, pick the microphones and mix the final product. I have my own top five list of favorite producers and engineers. Sometimes the same person does both and sometimes they are either a producer or an engineer and in a third category there are teams (Phil Spector/Larry Levine for example) but not always both. Here are my five not necessarily in order.

1. Bob Clearmountain (OK he is my #1)
2. Alan Parsons
3. Glynn Johns
4. George Martin/Geoff Emmerick (best acoustic guitar sounds)
5. Tom Dowd (went back and forth with him and Bob Rock)

How about you?
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 28, 2015,
Quote by Rickholly74
those guys who actually turn the knobs, raise the faders, pick the microphones and mix the final product. I have my own top five list of favorite producers and engineers.
The mixing and mastering engineers though are often different people from studio techs, who decide which mic is better for which application, where to put the different mics and so on.

If we're talking mixing engineers, then in no particular order:
- Arif Mardin (Norah Jones before Al Schmitt)
- Mark Ellis (Depeche Mode, earlier U2)
- Mark Endert (early Maroon 5)
- George Martin (The Beatles, even though not only the mixing engineer)
- Myself (too much projects to choose one)
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Arif Mardin. Nice. Even if you don't like the Bee Gees his productions for them were not just state of the art at that time, they actually moved the whole sound of production a few years forward in the 70's. His work with Queen, Bowie, Phil Collins, Hall and Oates, Aretha. Excellent choice.

That's exactly what I am talking about. People who advanced the whole art of sound recording with incredible artistic taste and tech skills.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 28, 2015,
1. Mutt Lange
2. Tom Lord Alge and his brother Chris Lord Alge (very similar sounds, styles, artists)
3. Bob Rock

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.