Page 1 of 2
Me an my dad went to an art museum on Sunday, which got me thinking about it. I've always been pretty partial to Van Gogh, especially the Cafe Terrace at Night. Though Dali and Pierre Bonnard were also p cool. Discuss your favorite paintings, painters, ect.
¯\_()_/¯
and another favourite:

it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
anything done by Jheronimus Bosch

Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
I've "dabbled"....I have a series of paintings up on Deviantart, and I've sold portraits and done a variety of small-scale sculptures. I've studied art history to the extent that I'm familiar with most of it and the major movements and such in art from ancient times.
All that being said, I'd have a hard time picking a favorite among the well-known classics. I really, seriously don't like "minimalism" which always struck me as artists with nothing to say having us on.....

I have seen maybe one or two abstract-expressionist works I thought were not dreadfully awful, and that mostly because the colors used were fairly pleasing. Most of them look like the canvas the artist used to clean his brushes on.
Don't get me started on "fiber" art or most "installation" pieces.

Most all of what turns me on falls into the category of science fiction and fantasy art. Each year I get the "Spectrum" competition book which features the winners of the annual competition in this category. There is some absolutely spectacular work being done in this area.

Another I appreciate is wildlife art. The skill and dedication necessary to produce high-quality wildlife art is sort of mind-boggling. The standard is perfection...Anything less is glaringly apparent.
my favourite is one that hangs in my house, its by J. Williamson, who nobody seems to know... My grandfather used to paint, and his last name is the same, but his first initial is R. We can't work out where it came from. Its a nice painting though, its a path in a park with trees on either side, and its winter. the colours make it look all foggy/dreamy

I'll take a photo when I'm home in 2 weeks, and upload it if this thread is still around
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
^****ing hate pyramid head. Was watching silent hill and the ****er just tore off a girls skin and threw it. One of the grossest things I have seen.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
There's a polish chap called Beksinski who did some of this crazy shiet which is cool.

o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american

printing it would've taken away from the authenticity. so its a good thing they didn't cause they might've reuined it or something
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Like I said in another thread, I absolutely can't give any ****s about art online even though I can spend hours in an art gallery.
Quote by whywefight
Like I said in another thread, I absolutely can't give any ****s about art online even though I can spend hours in an art gallery.

ughhh it's because the paintings are always the wrong color when you look at them online. like every image of the same painting is slightly different colors.

like ffs that bosch was making me cringe even though garden of earthly delights and the whole triptych is one of my favorite works of art ever
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
ughhh it's because the paintings are always the wrong color when you look at them online. like every image of the same painting is slightly different colors.

like ffs that bosch was making me cringe even though garden of earthly delights and the whole triptych is one of my favorite works of art ever

Huh I'm colorblind so I wonder how much of that is subconcious for me
Quote by whywefight
Huh I'm colorblind so I wonder how much of that is subconcious for me

I was really just speaking more for myself than for you, but in general I agree with you that I don't really care to look at art online. A huge part of the emotional impact is lost, for whatever reason. The one I mentioned is just one reason.
I like this one

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
i'm a Mike Diana fan.

mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I like the melting clock painting dali did, there probably a lot more modern paintings I like but I can't be asked to look them up. The one where it's like a siberian waste land with a lot of red balloons really captivates me.
Last edited by stratkat at Apr 28, 2015,
i like romanticism a lot

thomas cole - voyage of life: old age

frederic church - twilight in the wilderness

jmw turner - decline of the carthaginian empire

others:
peter paul rubens - fall of the damned

caravaggio - david with the head of goliath
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Baby Joel
and another favourite:

dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

jmw turner is so good i love him
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
Linky linky: http://webpages.cs.luc.edu/~dennis/300_Germany_19th/05-Realism-Esser-Strike%20of%20the%20Blacksmiths%20(1892).jpg

Strike of the Blacksmiths by Theodor Esser. It's a massive painting, incredible to see in person. It's 7 or 8 foot tall and you get to stand right up against it nearly. Feels like you could fall in.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
i don't really get realism
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i don't really get realism

ikr?

i can look around me and see reality any time.

and who wants that? the real world sucks.

surrealism.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I like this one

not a painting

i cant find the van gogh thing i was looking for so im just gonna say van gogh
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Francis Bacon because he was cvlt as fuck

Also Matisse's Dance is pretty cool imo. Not because nudes or anything but it just looks so natural

Turner did some great stuff too that I really like. Rain Steam and Speed is one of my top 3 paintings
Quote by MeGaDeth2314

So just to back up your point, these are all taken from the top few rows of results in google images.

Quote by Pastafarian96

this is the closest you can get to art deco while it's still a painting and not drawn.

Yeah Mondrian seems kind of pretentious unless you get his whole story/philosophy behind his later works. Also Broadway Boogie Woogie is the greatest name for a painting of all time.
Comp II by Mondrian is actually my favorite painting, speaking of.
But beyond that I will not mingle with you scrubs.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Skullivan
Yeah Mondrian seems kind of pretentious unless you get his whole story/philosophy behind his later works. Also Broadway Boogie Woogie is the greatest name for a painting of all time.

what about Victory Boogie Woogie though?
Page 1 of 2