So I play guitar and do vocals in a metal band. Since I'm using my hands to play the guitar, I cant cup the mic. I know that sound guys hate it when singers cup the mic, but is there a way (besides the bananadyne product) to mess with a microphone grille to give me the cupped mic sound?

Would throwing a 561 grill on microphone help?
You're talking about extended bass and distortion from a proximity effect. Some people I know have done it with a styrofoam cup around the mic, don't know how well it works. Maybe switch mic to a Shure SM7B or play around with some tube mic preamps that generate distortion. The 610 is great ... but the price is pretty high, anyhow here are a few to try. You can probably mix in an overdrive in paralel in a mixer channel and blend the two.
http://www.frontrowelectronics.com/art-prochannelii-professional-tube-mic-preamp-compressor-eq.aspx
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BlueTubeDPv2/reviews
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Solo610/
Learn to sing properly, this is the only sensible answer.

You're like a bicycler using training wheels here.
Surely they work until you're good enough, but the point would be to become good enough so you don't need them anymore.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
i don't understand the question why do you want a cupped mic sound.. that is generally considered bad. so to me it sounds like you are fine, by not cupping you already win singing, vs the tool that cups and sounds like a turd.
Guitars
Fender Strat-HH dominion/D-activator
Fender Strat-HH Distortion/jazz
Washburn HM-CL/Liquifier
Amp
Orange TH30
EVH 5150iii 50w
Cab
Marshall 1960tv
Fender Bandmaster 2x12
Handmade 2x12 based on Zilla Fatboy
Pedals
NS2>DIY TS808>TU2
Thanks a ton Diabolical.
would using those result in any feedback?

Spambot, I've taken voice lessons for a few years, and use proper technique. That's not the issue I'm having. Theres a very distinct difference between a scream going into a cupped mic and a scream going into a mic that is not cupped.
I have a very fairly nice PA (Mackie active speakers, Mackie board and effects) and when someone gets up sing with my band and cups the mic (Shure SM58 or Shure 87A condenser) I immediately ask them not too. The sound is awful. It turns a decent clean and clear PA into audio sludge with no highs or distinction. As far as recording, you can't really cup my vocal mics that I use for recording since they are all condensers in spider cages and be behind spit/wind screens.
Can't imagine why anyone would enjoy that muffled sound of cupping the mic.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by Rickholly74
Can't imagine why anyone would enjoy that muffled sound of cupping the mic.
It adds distortion and a bit of low end, which is something desirable if you're not able to create enough distortion and low end with your voice.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I stand duly corrected. I guess it's a lo-fi thing and that's OK I guess.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
The thing is, if you cup the mic you cancel out the back ports of the mic causing it to go from a cardioid pattern to an omni directional pattern. The cardioid pattern causes canceling of the sound coming in from the back and sides because of a slight delay, which is why you're supposed to sing directly in to the front of the microphone. But when you cancel out the back and side ports on the grill aka. cupping the mic it picks up sound from everywhere, not just the front which it is supposed to, and will cause it to feed MUCH much easier.

Like you said, the sound guy will hate you. So why do it? The one guy you rely on for you to sound good through the PA, you're going to go against. Don't cup the mic. With or without your hands.

Edit: I just realized this was in the recording forum. Definitely don't cup it if you're in the studio. What's the point? And don't cup it live either
Last edited by pkgitar at May 2, 2015,