Page 1 of 2
Just got the cab. Hooked it up and no sound. Two main fuses are fine. Heard a crackling noise when I turned it on. Almost as if the tubes got hotter and started crackling. Had yet cab shipped, chance that it's the cab not the amp? Haven't looked at the tubes, don't know what to look for honestly. 16 ohm going into 16 ohm. Any ideas?
My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Flashback Delay, Digitech RP1000
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Marshall 1960a W/ Eminence Governors and Patriot Red White Blues
Quote by Xerosnake90
Just got the cab. Hooked it up and no sound. Two main fuses are fine. Heard a crackling noise when I turned it on. Almost as if the tubes got hotter and started crackling. Had yet cab shipped, chance that it's the cab not the amp? Haven't looked at the tubes, don't know what to look for honestly. 16 ohm going into 16 ohm. Any ideas?

What is the serial # on it? You may have an early model that has the rectifier issue (mine did)

Did you look at the HT fuses on the inside of the amp?

Check the inside of the cab and make sure everything is connected.

Is this a new head (to you)? If you bought it recently take it back
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
HT fuse is fine. Another thing I noticed as I move the head there's a rattling noise inside. One of the tubes?
My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Quote by Xerosnake90
HT fuse is fine. Another thing I noticed as I move the head there's a rattling noise inside. One of the tubes?

No the rattling in it is the reverb tank
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Tubes all connected, look fine and connected as far as I can tell. I bought it from guitar center about a month ago, I'll have to take it in.
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Quote by Xerosnake90
Tubes all connected, look fine and connected as far as I can tell. I bought it from guitar center about a month ago, I'll have to take it in.

Remember GC has a 30 day return policy on used gear, take it back tonight if you can
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'll see if I can. Is there reason to believe the cab isn't working?
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Quote by Xerosnake90
I'll see if I can. Is there reason to believe the cab isn't working?

Did you check the wiring in the cab?

You can always take your cab to GC and try a head with it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Haven't checked wiring yet. I don't have a power drill and I'm not pulling those screws out by hand.
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
have a DVOM? plug the speaker cable in the cab, and put one probe on the tip and the other on the sleeve and see what the resistance is. easy and fast.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Unfortunately I don't have a DVOM. I'm going to open the cab up today after work and make sure nothing got knocked loose during shipping. I'm assuming I gotta make sure everything is connected to the OHM plate. Is there anything here that can commonly become loose?

My buddy has a different head, I'll test that out with the 1960A as well to rule out the problem. If his head works then it's my JCM2000, if it doesn't then it's probably the cab.
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Quote by Xerosnake90
Unfortunately I don't have a DVOM. I'm going to open the cab up today after work and make sure nothing got knocked loose during shipping. I'm assuming I gotta make sure everything is connected to the OHM plate. Is there anything here that can commonly become loose?

My buddy has a different head, I'll test that out with the 1960A as well to rule out the problem. If his head works then it's my JCM2000, if it doesn't then it's probably the cab.

Do that then just to cover your basses
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
take a voltmeter to the cab and measure the impedance of the cab. If any wiring was knocked loose, then you will measure a different impedance than what the cab is set to.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
have a DVOM? plug the speaker cable in the cab, and put one probe on the tip and the other on the sleeve and see what the resistance is. easy and fast.

Beat you to it Al112987.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Beat you to it Al112987.

I should definitely learn how to read the thread before replying.
The cab is switched to Mono, right? And you're using a speaker cable?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Update everyone.

I opened up the cab and look what I found inside! Picture why you sideways? I can't say I'm not intruiged about the sound of these as I heard good things. I did google and find out that one is 75 watt Red coat and the USA is 125 watt speaker. Will this be a problem? And yes, switch is set to mono and it's using a speaker cable.

Now when I took off the back plate I noticed only one wire was connected, and barely. No wonder I have no sound. I saw the wires hooked up the way they are in the picture. From what I can tell not everything is wired properly and I certainly can't connect 4 wires to all the inputs for the jack. It looks like I'm missing two wires. What I saw in a video was that right top and bottom are connected positive to positive and neg to neg. Left side same spiel top to bottom connected pos to pos and neg to neg. Then you would connect the pos and neg from top left to the left inputs. Same for the right side.

Now like I said I seem to be missing wires. The guy who sent this to me most certainly did not play test it. And the guy who wired it, not completely sure he knew what he was doing. He did manage to perform one hell of a led job. Leds around the grill, wire feeds into the cab and into a switch using an phone line cat5 cable (i don't know what I'm talking about) to start it up. So... COOL! If ever I want that option. First thing is getting this going.

What do I need to do to fix this set up? And I'm taking my amp to guitar center tomorrow to have them try it out with one of their cabs. I'm praying the amp is fine and I just need to wire up these speakers properly. Let me know what you all think.
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Last edited by Xerosnake90 at Apr 30, 2015,
Just Google up a wiring diagram for a 4x12 and you'll be set. That's a bone simple fix.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I did so and only found a bunch of confusing diagramns. I prefer to ask here for a more personal touch. As far as I know the description I put above of positive to positive and negative to negative. Then taking positive and negative from the top speakers into the jack should do it. I'm going to buy some more wiring cables at guitar center today and give it a shot. Check my amp make sure that works too.
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Need to know what impedance the speakers are, and what impedance you want, to know how to wire them up. It's not difficult, but doing it wrong can cause your head to fail.

Also, a couple of pictures of your jack plate would help, to make sure everything gets connected where it's supposed to.
Charles Darwin
2 Redcoat The Governer 75w 8OHM speakers. 2 Patriot Red white and blues 125w 8OHM speakers. They are in an X shape as you can see. Backplate of the Marshall 1960A is as following...

And btw. What're those cables called like in the picture? The ones I can just slip over the connectors?
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
If they are all 8 ohm speakers, then you can hook the amp up for a total of 8 ohms in parallel/series or series/parallel. Either will work.

This is a pretty simple diagram that tells you exactly how to hook things up.

And obviously, make sure to match your amp impedance to 8 ohms when you use the amp. Since it doesn't sound like you are looking to use the cab in stereo, you can just wire to one of the inputs instead of both. I'd probably just use the original "16 ohm input" on the cab and wire everything in parallel/series and just use it as a mono 8 ohm cab.
Last edited by al112987 at Apr 30, 2015,
That is an awesome chart, thank you. Now one more time, is there a specific name for these cables that I use? I'm going to guitar center today and I'll ask for them there. Lastly, the input plate has 4 slots for connectors. It looks like I'm only connecting 1 positive and one negative to the input jack. Do I put them on the outside connectors and does not using all 4 slots make a difference? Or do I put both positive and negative onto one side and use that jack?

I'll be running it with 16OHM speaker line out into one of the inputs on the cab in Mono.
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Quote by Xerosnake90
That is an awesome chart, thank you. Now one more time, is there a specific name for these cables that I use? I'm going to guitar center today and I'll ask for them there. Lastly, the input plate has 4 slots for connectors. It looks like I'm only connecting 1 positive and one negative to the input jack. Do I put them on the outside connectors and does not using all 4 slots make a difference? Or do I put both positive and negative onto one side and use that jack?

I'll be running it with 16OHM speaker line out into one of the inputs on the cab in Mono.

The ends you are looking for are crimp-on quick disconnects (may also be soldered on)

http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack-3-16-insulated-quick-disconnects-16-pack/6403132.html#.VUJEYZP0fVI

I don't know that you will find them at Guitar Center, but any auto parts store on the planet will have them.

You'll need a crimping tool or a soldering iron to do it right. You can crimp with a pair of pliers, but I wouldn't since if the crimp fails it's your amp that takes the abuse.

I use one similar to this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/ratcheting-crimping-tool-97420.html

The ratcheting crimpers make the best connections by far if you're not going to solder them.

Also avoid the cheap crimpers that come in kits like these. (Nothing wrong with the connectors though)

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200627032_200627032

The problem you're going to have since those are 8 ohm speakers is you can't wire all 4 for 16 ohm. You can have all 4 wired for 8 ohm and each bank of 2 wired for 16.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Apr 30, 2015,
OK. So I need some AWG wiring right? Some female quick disconnects. I have a soldering iron so I can do that. That's not a problem.

Your last sentence confused me now, lmao. So if I follow your diagramn for parallel series I'll have one positive and one negative cable going into the input jack on the same side? I'll have it switched to MONO mode using what? 4, 8OHM or using the 16 ohm?

I appreciate all the help. It's my first half stack and I know nothing about any of it. Reminds me of when I first put together my computer and had to learn how to do everything.
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Quote by Xerosnake90
OK. So I need some AWG wiring right? Some female quick disconnects. I have a soldering iron so I can do that. That's not a problem.

Your last sentence confused me now, lmao. So if I follow your diagramn for parallel series I'll have one positive and one negative cable going into the input jack on the same side? I'll have it switched to MONO mode using what? 4, 8OHM or using the 16 ohm?

I appreciate all the help. It's my first half stack and I know nothing about any of it. Reminds me of when I first put together my computer and had to learn how to do everything.

Yes, I usually use 14ga.

Mono 8 ohm.

Also, wire it Series-Parallel, that way any one wire/connection can fail and you will still have a speaker load on your head.
Charles Darwin
Now I have two people recommending different things. If I use the Series-Parallel in Mono 8OHM I need to connect 4 wires to the input jack. The negatives go into the left input slots and the positives go into the right? I will plug in a the speaker cable into the 4/8OHM slot for my amp, set it to 8OHM and I plug the cable into which jack, left(neg) or right(pos)? Or does that even matter?

If I do parallel series then I only have 2 wires connecting to the jack. I would still be using 8OHM for the speakers? In what case would I be using 16 ohms? This is what's confusing me the whole two cables going to input or 4.
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Quote by Xerosnake90
Now I have two people recommending different things. If I use the Series-Parallel in Mono 8OHM I need to connect 4 wires to the input jack. The negatives go into the left input slots and the positives go into the right? I will plug in a the speaker cable into the 4/8OHM slot for my amp, set it to 8OHM and I plug the cable into which jack, left(neg) or right(pos)? Or does that even matter?

If I do parallel series then I only have 2 wires connecting to the jack. I would still be using 8OHM for the speakers? In what case would I be using 16 ohms? This is what's confusing me the whole two cables going to input or 4.

Yes, if you wire it SP you will need to connect 4 wires to the input, which is, conveniently enough, designed for 4 wires. The problem you're having is the 1960a jackplate is designed with 16 ohm speakers in mind, so the ohm numbers printed on it don't apply with 8 ohm speakers. (If wired as described using 8 ohm speakers, divide all printed numbers by 2)

Connect one bank of 2 speakers, wired in parallel (+ to +, - to -) to one side of the jackplate, connect the other bank of 2 speakers, wired the same way, to the other side. It doesn't matter if the banks of 2 are upper and lower or left and right, that's up to you.

Set the switch to mono, plug in to the right hand jack (labeled 16 ohm), set your head for 8 ohm and rock out!

If you set the switch to stereo, then both the left and the right jacks are 4 ohms.

You cannot use the left jack on mono, as no tube amp I know of is designed for a 2 ohm load.
Charles Darwin
Ok cool, that was a fantastic explanation. I think I'm ready to give this a go. I'll report back after I wire everything up about 5 hours from now. If this works you have my gratitude, I've been waiting far too long to get a half stack going.
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Quote by Xerosnake90
Ok cool, that was a fantastic explanation. I think I'm ready to give this a go. I'll report back after I wire everything up about 5 hours from now. If this works you have my gratitude, I've been waiting far too long to get a half stack going.

I'm glad you've finally got it sorted. Hope nothing bad happened to your amp, if you only tried it briefly you should be fine.

I really like my DSL100 through a good 4x12. But even a good 2x12 sounds great
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Xerosnake90
Just got the cab. Hooked it up and no sound.

Lesson 1. Learn how a cabinet SHOULD be wired before said cabinet arrives.

Lesson 2. Open the cabinet up to see what's in there and how it's wired before plugging your amp into it.

Lesson 3. Check the speakers using a 9V battery to make sure that they're wired in phase.

Lesson 4. Pretty LEDs and X-patterns and speaker mixes are sort of less important than making sure that you have working speakers in the cabinet.
Quote by dspellman
Lesson 1. Learn how a cabinet SHOULD be wired before said cabinet arrives.

Lesson 2. Open the cabinet up to see what's in there and how it's wired before plugging your amp into it.

Lesson 3. Check the speakers using a 9V battery to make sure that they're wired in phase.

Lesson 4. Pretty LEDs and X-patterns and speaker mixes are sort of less important than making sure that you have working speakers in the cabinet.

How informative

Lesson 1: Hands on training is more effective than simply going over diagrams pictures and instructions. When's the last time you learned something just from reading about it, I bet you didn't pick up that item next time and perform every action as you previously saw it. As in wiring speakers when you have no electrical experience. Genius, you have NO idea how a learning process even works. Preparation is only half the battle. You're in a guitar forum, do you read a tab and know how to play the song without practicing the actual finger movement?

Lesson 2: Is this under the assumption that the cab shouldn't be wired properly before I receive it? Which it most certainly should've been.

Lesson 3: I bought a multi meter I can use that

Lesson 4: I didn't buy it for led's or x patterns. None of this has anything to do with the actual cabinet, just some neat things I decided to point out. Neither does you pointing this out have anything to do with anything. Other than you wanting to sound like a smart ass.

Take your ignorant criticism somewhere else. You contributed nothing to this thread that this community has been so kind to help me through.

Quote by Robbgnarly
I'm glad you've finally got it sorted. Hope nothing bad happened to your amp, if you only tried it briefly you should be fine.

I really like my DSL100 through a good 4x12. But even a good 2x12 sounds great

Yea, it was such a short amount of time that I don't think any harm could've been done. I'm getting outta here in 30 so I'm looking forward to getting this rolling. I'm feeling like the amp head is fine and it's just the cabinet requiring some proper wiring. I've been playing on a Vox AD30VT so it's time for me to get some real sound going on I'm excited
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Quote by Xerosnake90
How informative

Lesson 1: Hands on training is more effective than simply going over diagrams pictures and instructions. When's the last time you learned something just from reading about it, I bet you didn't pick up that item next time and perform every action as you previously saw it. As in wiring speakers when you have no electrical experience. Genius, you have NO idea how a learning process even works. Preparation is only half the battle. You're in a guitar forum, do you read a tab and know how to play the song without practicing the actual finger movement?

I learned to read music long ago, and learned to read and play at the same time. Amazing how many musicians picked that up. Tab is a fairly recent development, and i think it's largely limited to guitar players. My first instrument was a classical pipe organ. Two manuals of keys and you play bass with both feet, heel and toe. No tab for that. Bach didn't know about "tab." Same deal with saxophone. No tab. Try learning to transpose on the fly, both sight-reading and/or by ear.

It's amazing how much learning I've done from reading and looking at the pictures. I hand-wired my JTM-45 working from a .pdf file supplied by Metropolis amps. I read the instructions and pretty much pre visualized how everything was going to go together before I ever had the bits and pieces in hand. I'd never done it before, and it fired off the very first time. I did have a tech standing next to me when I turned it on, and I had him look it over to see if he could spot anything I'd done wrong before I flipped the switch.

Honestly, I don't require a "learning process". I just learn.
Some folks require a village.

2. If you're buying something brand new, you should probably expect that it will work when you get it. That said, I've always opened the control cavity on a guitar and I've always checked the wiring of a cabinet when they're new to me. It's like the old maps of the world that had the "uncharted" areas noted with "Here there be monsters." So many times I've encountered, "Here there be idiots." And screwups. And people who aren't paying attention. I pulled a brand new Variax out of a factory box in January. It was set up perfectly, and everything looked good in the spring cavity (it has a Floyd) and in the control cavity. It had the "Models" knob where the Alternate tunings knob should have been. Oops. those Korean kidders.

I've pissed off sellers of 4x12s (I have four cabs left at the moment) when I insisted on pulling the backs to see if the speakers are what they claimed and if the wiring is reasonably done. Most of these are built by carpenters and by minimum wage task-specific workers. No designers, no smart technicians. They're stupid easy to do and just as easy to screw up.

As you now know. Now THAT's learning process.
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 30, 2015,
We are in business gentlemen! Took me a wiring or two but I finally got it working. Just need to set up my pedal board now. Thanks for the help everyone!
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Quote by Xerosnake90
We are in business gentlemen! Took me a wiring or two but I finally got it working. Just need to set up my pedal board now. Thanks for the help everyone!

congrats
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Xerosnake90

Happy to help and glad that no harm was done to your amp.

Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Happy to help and glad that no harm was done to your amp.

You were a big help thank you. I only got one speaker to work with series parallel. I did a variation of parallel series that ultimately got everything wired. Ended up having to create two quick disconnect wires and everything came together perectly.

Man the sound is fantastic, I understand now what everyone means when they say such amps create fullness, warmth and all that. The Vox amp I've been playing since I picked up guitar is great but this thing blows it out of the water. And I haven't even got to hook up my digitech to it yet!
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Quote by Xerosnake90
You were a big help thank you. I only got one speaker to work with series parallel. I did a variation of parallel series that ultimately got everything wired. Ended up having to create two quick disconnect wires and everything came together perectly.

Man the sound is fantastic, I understand now what everyone means when they say such amps create fullness, warmth and all that. The Vox amp I've been playing since I picked up guitar is great but this thing blows it out of the water. And I haven't even got to hook up my digitech to it yet!

How about some pictures of your wiring so we can double check for you that your impedance matching is as it should be?
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
How about some pictures of your wiring so we can double check for you that your impedance matching is as it should be?

+1 just to be safe.

A DSL100 sounds pretty nice through a 4x12 though huh?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
No problem. I'll take a picture after work.

4 x 12 is a whole different game. I love having two separate speakers as well, the red white and blues have one of the cleanest tones I've ever heard. The red coat governer is pretty much a v30. Fantastic tone.
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Page 1 of 2