Page 1 of 2
ESP Horizon (not E2)
Charvel Custom Shop
Jackson DK1, Adrian Smith or SL1
Ibanez Prestige series (RG3120 or similar)
80's US Charvel, Kramer or BC Rich Gunslinger?

Any other?

Do you think any of these has a better build quality?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Apr 28, 2015,
You cannot go wrong with any of them.

Are you actually thinking of buying one of these?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
The USA made Charvel, Kramer, BC Rich would most likely have better quality
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Probably, in a couple months. It's gonna be a Super Strat or a G&L ASAT Deluxe Black Ice. Since I do have two guitars with TOM bridge I think I can get another one with a double action tremolo... I definitely can buy used. I really don't care about dings and scratches, as long as the guitar works and plays perfectly fine.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Robbgnarly, I see you have an ASAT Deluxe... Tell me about that guitar! I'm particularly interested in the Black Ice version they are selling right now. Tone Pros bridge, swamp ash, duncans...

I need a hard rock machine.

Edit: sorry for the double post.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Apr 28, 2015,
Quote by Perverockstar69
Robbgnarly, I see you have and ASAT Deluxe... Tell me about that guitar! I'm particularly interested in the Black Ice version they are selling right now. Tone Pros bridge, swamp ash, duncans...

I need a hard rock machine.

Edit: sorry for the double post.

It is a very nice guitar, more LP than tele IMO. Really light with a comfy neck.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The USA made Charvel, Kramer, BC Rich would most likely have better quality

i dunno. i had a Kramer Pacer and a Baretta both US made and in hindsite neither was that great. Charvel's were pretty much made in japan by the time the superstrats were in full swing (early 80s charvels are awesome though). BC Rich Gunslingers were nice guitars but always seemed like a me to guitar. if i was going 80s super strat i'd consider a US made Jackson.
When I started playing I had an early 80's us made Charvel. I LOVED that guitar so much! So bad it got stolen (I cried).

I really dig the Gunslingers, and if I get a Kramer I'd only get an 80's one too.

The new Custom Charvels seem really awesome but I do not know how different are now compared to the first ones since now they are Fender guitars... The same with Jackson. I'd need to try one.

In paper they look really good. That Adrian Smith is so cool...

Now, this Charvel looks like candy to me http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-USA-Charvel-Custom-Shop-San-Dimas-RED-FLAMES-Guitar-FREE-US-SHIPPING-/121548098425?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4cd4cb79

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Depending on your budget I'd take a look at the suhr modern and the anderson angel. Super strats are supposed to have 24 frets right? There's even more options at 22 around that budget.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
i like my prestige ibbys. 3550mz, 2570evsl 1570. $680, $380, $490 respectively.

in that price range, they are all good options. its a matter of taste.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
USA G and L Legacy > Fender Strat...check out the G and L website for all the configurations

For "super strat" Rampage/Superhawk better by far than others listed IMO

FWIW I own three USA Rampages, and one USA Superhawk....I play a Tribute series made in China Rampage 99% of the time...added a JB pup and it is my favorite guitar!

Tribute series guitars are great for the money...just be sure to try them out for the feel....I tend to search for excellent condition used guitars which feel broken in to me (probably just a mental thing) vs. buying new ones...for example, the tribute Rampage I play all the time I got off of Craigslist for $200, it was well used but in exc shape...it feels better than any new off the shelf one Ive fooled with

Patience is the key...search and be diligent and you will find a great buy!
Last edited by miles136 at Apr 29, 2015,
Quote by Perverockstar69
ESP Horizon (not E2)
Charvel Custom Shop
Jackson DK1, Adrian Smith or SL1
Ibanez Prestige series (RG3120 or similar)
80's US Charvel, Kramer or BC Rich Gunslinger?

Any other?

Do you think any of these has a better build quality?

What do you mean "any other?"
There are dozens.
What's the question?
ESP definitely make guitars that mean business. If money ain´t an issue check out the Kamikazees.

If you get the opportunity try to check out a Vigier.

Washburn N4s are also exquisite instruments.
Well the best Super strat I've owned is a PRS

It pretty much ****s that list all to hell
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
For high end superstrat-ish guitars you also have the European alternatives, which IMO have really nice guitars. Look at Mayones, Hufschmid, Skervesen, Blackat, Sabre, ...
You never know you find one of those second hand for 800-2000€ (depending on what brand/model)

If you ask me, ANY of those smoke anything on the list you're looking at. I bought my Huf second hand for 1500€. I've seen Blackats go starting from 800 up to 1600 depending on the model. I see many BEAUTIFUL mayones guitars pass by starting from 1200€ up to whatever price range you might be able to pay, stunningness accordingly Skervies pass by in the 1200-2000 range. There is a STUNNING new sabre talon 7 for sale at the moment for 899 GBP for sale right now on facebook. Now that the Euro is weak compared to the USD, you should really think about it.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Apr 29, 2015,
Quote by AcousticMirror
Super strats are supposed to have 24 frets right?

Nah, not necessarily.
The original superstrats just got humbuckers.

Most of my superstrats do have 24 frets, neck-through construction, smooth neck heels, lots of upper fret access, fairly flat (15-16" radius) fretboards, medium jumbo and jumbo frets.
Quote by Tony Done
^^^^ Who would you say were the pioneers of superstrat design? Ibanez?

I'd guess either Carvin (they've been around for a much longer time than most people think) or Jackson/Charvel
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
The first ones making a Superstrat, according to my research, are Charvel.

Where can I find those european guitars in the States so I can try them?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Quote by Perverockstar69

Well, that might be the only problem... Ask around on facebook or craigslist if somebody knows someone that has one and if you could play it. There are many guitar sales pages on fb where you can put an add. If someone friendly in the area sees it you might score a chance to test one.
Look around for a local sales page, post your request and see what happens...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Apr 30, 2015,
Quote by Perverockstar69

Charvel is an American company
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think the second part of his post was a reply to me
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Well, I just checked Hufschmid and it looks like an absolutely awesome builder. If I can get that amount of money I'm going to consider getting a piece of his art. Thank you!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Apr 30, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I'd guess either Carvin (they've been around for a much longer time than most people think) or Jackson/Charvel

I'd put an arbitrary marker on the year 1980 for the origin of the superstrat, and while there were other folks doing the same thing at the same time (and as early as the mid '70's), Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstrat is as good a marker point for the guitars as any.

And if I had to pick a manufacturer, it would probably be Grover Jackson in about 1981 with the Soloist, but a LOT of people climbed onboard pretty quickly.

Carvin cranked out a double neck guitar in 1980 that looked like their superstrats, but they were still mostly putting out guitars that resembled LPs (both single cut and symmetrical doublecut) at that point. In late 1980, too late for their catalog, they began cranking out the DC200, which was a "pointy" superstrat guitar. They didn't have to make a lot of changes; their neck was already a 24-fret 24.75" scale and the guitars had an extremely smooth transition, pretty much the same as a neck through. Their DC200K was a solid koa guitar (when did YOU first see koa used?), and the DC160 was available in all-koa well before 1980. That guitar was pretty much unchanged (though they did switch its construction to neck through in the late '80's) until the early 2000's, at which point they made some minor modifications to the shape. It's still in production in that form today, with 1, 2 and 3-pickup versions available.

It was a couple of years after that before the rest of the manufacturers really got involved, but once they did, everyone had them.

The Ibanez GEM really didn't come along until 1987 (Vai helped design it), and until 1985 (and "Crossroads") not all that many people had heard of Steve Vai. He was working, certainly, but he really wasn't influencing much.
Quote by dspellman
I'd put an arbitrary marker on the year 1980 for the origin of the superstrat, and while there were other folks doing the same thing at the same time (and as early as the mid '70's), Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstrat is as good a marker point for the guitars as any.

And if I had to pick a manufacturer, it would probably be Grover Jackson in about 1981 with the Soloist, but a LOT of people climbed onboard pretty quickly.

Carvin cranked out a double neck guitar in 1980 that looked like their superstrats, but they were still mostly putting out guitars that resembled LPs (both single cut and symmetrical doublecut) at that point. In late 1980, too late for their catalog, they began cranking out the DC200, which was a "pointy" superstrat guitar. They didn't have to make a lot of changes; their neck was already a 24-fret 24.75" scale and the guitars had an extremely smooth transition, pretty much the same as a neck through. Their DC200K was a solid koa guitar (when did YOU first see koa used?), and the DC160 was available in all-koa well before 1980. That guitar was pretty much unchanged (though they did switch its construction to neck through in the late '80's) until the early 2000's, at which point they made some minor modifications to the shape. It's still in production in that form today, with 1, 2 and 3-pickup versions available.

It was a couple of years after that before the rest of the manufacturers really got involved, but once they did, everyone had them.

The Ibanez GEM really didn't come along until 1987 (Vai helped design it), and until 1985 (and "Crossroads") not all that many people had heard of Steve Vai. He was working, certainly, but he really wasn't influencing much.

little quick research suggests that Charvel (owned by grover jackson at that point) was doing super strat style guitars in the late 70s. i believe if you poke around you may find a few japanese made guitars that were strat style with humbuckers as well.
Quote by monwobobbo
little quick research suggests that Charvel (owned by grover jackson at that point) was doing super strat style guitars in the late 70s. i believe if you poke around you may find a few japanese made guitars that were strat style with humbuckers as well.

Yeah, it's tough to put a timeline on these because a lot of the folks who were building them weren't, by any stretch, a "manufacturer" yet. Most folks will tag Grover Jackson as the initiator, but there were others out there who were cranking them out as well. Mike and Al at Valley Arts were making mods in the early/mid '70's that certainly would have qualified, and for a whole bunch of artists. But they didn't start making guitars from scratch until maybe '77. Those would definitely have qualified, but they were mostly just a tiny local builder/repair/retail shop that happened to have some star clientele.
Quote by dspellman
Yeah, it's tough to put a timeline on these because a lot of the folks who were building them weren't, by any stretch, a "manufacturer" yet. Most folks will tag Grover Jackson as the initiator, but there were others out there who were cranking them out as well. Mike and Al at Valley Arts were making mods in the early/mid '70's that certainly would have qualified, and for a whole bunch of artists. But they didn't start making guitars from scratch until maybe '77. Those would definitely have qualified, but they were mostly just a tiny local builder/repair/retail shop that happened to have some star clientele.

totally agree. there were strats that were modded around even before EVH got popular. Glen Tipton was using a strat with 2 humbuckers in 77 and one of the guys from the MC5 had a strat with a humbucker in the middle position back in the late 60s.

obviously it was EVH popularity that got guitar manufacturers to start putting out stock models based on that idea. by the mid 80s you weren't shit unless you played a super strat (or a pointy guitar).

as a side note i was literally the first guy in town with a Kramer (pacer) that had a floyd rose. bought t as soonas it came out and i had to travel out of town to find a dealer that had them. my guitar tech did the setup for free just so he could take teh floyd apart and see how it worked as he'd never worked on one.
My limited experience with Jackson has been very positive. I believe Jackson is now owned by Fender? My recent experience with newer Fender American Standard series has also been very good.
Quote by Seriden
My limited experience with Jackson has been very positive. I believe Jackson is now owned by Fender? My recent experience with newer Fender American Standard series has also been very good.

They've been owned by Fender since 2000 or so.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
They've been owned by Fender since 2000 or so.

Right. I posted that because some people have questioned whether Jackson's would continue to be high quality guitars. My experience with Fender as a company has been positive. I also own an early 2000's Jackson SLSMG which is a fine instrument.
1980 Ibanez Blazer.

Holdsworth....not sure of guitar but check out the cigarette.

1970s univox ripper.

Last edited by HowlerMonkey at May 3, 2015,
i had a regular strat style version of that guitar back then. i did metnion that some of the japanese makers had super strat style guitars. ibanez at that point wasn't a big brand name they were more of a budget brand that made good guitars.
One of the best quality superstrats I have ever seen was the Kramer Liberty 86.

Nice house!!! whoever it is.

Music Man was making Strat style guitars (Sabre and Sabre II) with humbuckers before the music world outside of LA knew about EVH!
I haven't seen Yamaha mentioned, but they made a lot of great super-strats including the SE series, the Pacifica series, and the RGX series. These series all had different models from low to high, and the high end stuff was really awesome.

I have had a Yamaha SE612A (active), SE612, Pacifica 712, and Pacifica 912, all superstrats. My favorite was the SE612A which is still my go-to guitar (though I know active pickups aren't for everyone). I found the SE612A -- which was made in Japan -- to have better feel for me than "higher" level Pacificas (i.e., the 712 and 912, both made in Taiwan, I think).

I actually sold a USA-made PRS McCarty after getting the Yamaha SE612A because I preferred the Yamaha. I've tried USA-made Fender strats and preferred my Yamaha. I really like their RM Pro tremolo, locking nut, fast neck, easy to access higher frets.

I'd be very curious to try higher end SE models, like the 9xx or 12xx. I know the highest end SE's (SE12xx) had through necks and you sometimes see an SE1212 or 1203 or 1221 on Ebay.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
Earlier yamahas and Ibanez superstrats were made by Fujigen and are pretty good quality.

If you notice even the naming/numbering schemes of Ibanez and Yamaha (pre pacifica) were similar.

Even earlier Kramer Focus series guitars were often made in japan and featured ESP necks and really played well.

Some Focus series with the banana or hockey stick headstock are very sweet guitars and quite valuable.
This thread is pretty much dead. Don't Necrobump
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Page 1 of 2