I use Ableton. I can put reverb, compression ect. On each track individually. I can also use the send/return knobs to put tracks through a virtual effects processor track. Why would you use one option rather than another?
Because using a send track means that you can run a group of tracks through the same effects rather than giving each track their own set. Generally, running fewer effects slows your computer down less.
You can also use send tracks to output to outboard effects units.
A common practice with mixing is to have a reverb fx channel use an aux send to apply reverb to tracks. It's often better to use one type of reverb to prevent the mix getting muddy.
Quote by CorrosionMedia
Because using a send track means that you can run a group of tracks through the same effects rather than giving each track their own set. Generally, running fewer effects slows your computer down less.
You can also use send tracks to output to outboard effects units.

A common practice with mixing is to have a reverb fx channel use an aux send to apply reverb to tracks. It's often better to use one type of reverb to prevent the mix getting muddy.

Both of these things. Everyone should get into the habit of doing sends for FX when they first start, it'll save you from problems down the line.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
I agree with the above. I was doing a mix with a lot of tracks using many individual VST effects and at one point I kept crashing. I then intentionally tried to add as many individual effects as I could to individual the tracks to see how far my computer would go before it started slowing down and crashing. I wanted to stress it to see if I needed more ram. It took a lot of overloading but I was able to do it it. I tried doing the same thing using the effects sends on a single reverb and a couple of compressors. I didn't have that issue and my needs were still met. (I still bought more ram anyway.)
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 29, 2015,
Quote by Playsabadguitar
Thanks.

Can someone expand on outboard processing and parallel processing. I am a total newb.

Outboard processing - running audio to external 'outboard' gear (physical hardware).

Parallel processing - running something 'in parallel' to something else, e.g. you have your 'clean' track and then you send (not as main output) the audio to an aux track and put a compressor on there, and blend the two tracks. A lot of plug-ins offer a 'wet/dry' control though that is essentially the same thing as parallel processing.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Outboard processing - running audio to external 'outboard' gear (physical hardware).

Parallel processing - running something 'in parallel' to something else, e.g. you have your 'clean' track and then you send (not as main output) the audio to an aux track and put a compressor on there, and blend the two tracks. A lot of plug-ins offer a 'wet/dry' control though that is essentially the same thing as parallel processing.

Thanks
My two most common uses for sends are a mix reverb (everything gets sent to the one reverb track at different levels, helps it 'gel' like it does in a room) and a distorted bass track in parallel to the clean one (helps it blend with guitars, especially in metal).
You would use insert effects to affect one specific track and adjust the amount of effect by using the dry/wet knob.
When you use an effect as a send return, a reverb for example, it can be "send to" by many tracks, i.e. the sound of one reverb can be used for various tracks.
An example would be a vocal reverb to which you then send sound from the lead vocals, harmony vocals and backing vocals - all by using one effect and varying the amount of reverb you get by adjusting the send knob.
This is a huge processor saver too.
Hope that helps.

Best Wishes!
Aux sends let you send a signal to an effects processor in parallel. It's great for reverbs and other time-based effects. It also lets you send multiple things to the same processor. It can also be very useful for parallel compression.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.