Do you guys have any suggestions on a preamp to add to an acoustic rig? I've got a Taylor 114CE that has a bit of higher tone, so I'd like something that lets me customize it a bit.

I'm thinking the LR Baggs DI box is a good bet.

Anything else worth checking out?
Paul Reed Smith CE-24 2005 and Santana SE with Seymour Duncan pickups.
Line 6 Amplifiers
Boss Effects and Steve Vai's Wah Pedal
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
https://www.guitarchalk.com
You have a guitar, I'd much rather not get a pre and let the sound guy handle everything.

If you absolutely want one, then I'd say get a GAP pre73 mkIII (about to be released) if you want something very colored, warm, somewhat unfocused.

Or a warm audio tonebeast if you want something not as colored but more versatile.

Mind you that these pre's (as any sensibly designed pre really) will not add much to your sound unless you turn the input gain fairly high.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
You have a guitar, I'd much rather not get a pre and let the sound guy handle everything.

If you absolutely want one, then I'd say get a GAP pre73 mkIII (about to be released) if you want something very colored, warm, somewhat unfocused.

Or a warm audio tonebeast if you want something not as colored but more versatile.

Mind you that these pre's (as any sensibly designed pre really) will not add much to your sound unless you turn the input gain fairly high.

Thanks for the reply man.

We do have a sound guy but I'd much rather handle it and mix my channel on my own. I'm guess I'm just kind of picky haha.

The ToneBeast looks excellent. Never used one though.
Line 6 Amplifiers

WEBSITE
Tech 21 has a para di as well, another option besides LR to have there.

Are you wanting to add some compression & eq to the sound? There was some pedal i came across once that had comp + eq in it, forgot the name, it was floorQ something maybe, might want to google that up to see if its useful for you.
I'd highly recommend against using a compressor on an acoustic guitar in a live setting, it's the recipe for feedback.

If you want more than a pre then your best bet is a multi fx unit unless you wanna spend a lot of money.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
I'd highly recommend against using a compressor on an acoustic guitar in a live setting, it's the recipe for feedback.

If you want more than a pre then your best bet is a multi fx unit unless you wanna spend a lot of money.

Yeah I almost always use a compressor (Boss CS-3), but the versatility (extra EQ) is something I'm hoping a preamp can deliver.
Line 6 Amplifiers

WEBSITE
Quote by robertwilliam9
Do you guys have any suggestions on a preamp to add to an acoustic rig? I've got a Taylor 114CE that has a bit of higher tone, so I'd like something that lets me customize it a bit.?

There are TWO LR Baggs preamps (one for $299, the other for about half that) and there's also the "BBE Acoustimax Acoustic Instrument Preamp Pedal with Full Featured Sonic Maximizer" for about $150 (check Amazon).

Actually, Taylor has the K4 preamp that's outstanding (if a bit pricey).

Seems to me that at one point there was an app being developed, but I don't know that I've seen mention of it for a while. Did it actually hit the street, or did Taylor kill it?:

Last edited by dspellman at May 1, 2015,
One of the cheap newer Zoom boxes will give you effects. If you acoustic has a pickup then it already has a preamp.
Tone shaping for live? I gig live once or twice a month and have a Baggs onboard EQ with notch filter that I like a lot. I have also used the Baggs Para DI and I think it is excellent for live work. Just the stuff you need without a bunch of kid stuff or fluffery. I also use compression when gigging acoustic live. It just sounds better.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/445961.html?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&gclid=CJiF1YOhocUCFdBlfgod0E4AuA

I have the Taylor iphone app but never really plugged in. I just use the tuner.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at May 1, 2015,