So I just bought a used 2010 RG2550Z prestige w/ case for $300 shipped.....I felt pretty good about this deal. Guitar came in....pretty damn clean. Well anyways I have owned a couple different prestige models and never have I been this disappointed in the stock pups, so I am cosidering on running this set up:

Bridge: D Activator
Middle: True Velvet
Neck: Evolotion

I play mostly Metalcore and Melodic Death Metal (Scar Symmytry, Early ATR, Solution .45, Threat Signal) just trying to see if anyone has experience with this setup! Thanks!
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7
83 Peavey Patriot Special

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 MKii
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
My friend has the same setup except a tone zone in the bridge. You'd be surprised what different picks and string materials also do to contribute to your sound. The big problem I have with any guitar with tremolos is they sound too thin until I put brass blocks in the tremolos personally.

The d-activator is great from what I hear, similar to an EMG 85 but more life, when I think of the d-activator I think of John 5 and his "god made me do it" or song he guest appeared on called hour one by the scorpions. There is also the d-activator X which has more bass if memory serves me right.

if the true velvet is 4 wire it shouldn't be that bad , im not a single coil guy so lets see what everyone else says

I personally found the evolution way too balanced myself. It's a love or hate situation I suppose. I guess if you love the acoustic tone of the guitar it can be a good thing because it'll come out of the amp just the same is what my ears tell me.

my best advice, play the guitar for a while, don't worry about the pickups at all. It's one of those things I hear constantly and just roll my eyes. If you find something you don't like about the guitars sound it's your job to find ways to fine tune it. Tone charts exist on seymour duncan , dimarzio and all to help us make a decision like if we need more treble, bass , mids , output ..etc.

some of my favorite pickups I've played over the years for metal are
the dimarzio X2N , seymour duncan JB , the seymour duncan screaming demon single coil ..i think people said the air norton is a great neck pickup too by dimarzio. It may sound silly but a stock bc rich pickup the BDSM one (dumb name) but it's 19.5k and for metal it's a favorite of mine. I use a bass cut to give me more clarity when I need it. Again it depends on the guitars needs so i could have just got lucky.

but for metal I always think along the lines of high output and high resistance.
the black winter , duncan distortion , invader, full shred, dimebucker , Nazgûl , kent armstrong motherbucker , I'm not much of a Dimarzio guy honestly other than the d-activator so I'd like to say super distortion or crunchlab but again , its the sound you're not getting out of the amp you're correcting. Most if

two big tips
string material matters , they mention on the pack which is which
pure nickle is more darker and warmer
nickle plated steel - balanced , like regular d'addario or ernie ball
steel - brighter
I buy all my strings from stringsandbeyond.com , they are offering free international shipping on all orders right now. I use them all the time and it's all major brands and newer than most dilapidated shops.

picks matter too
john petrucci ones I liked for this , the aluminum dunlop ones for that and black ice by planet waves for this. Thankfully both picks and strings aren't a massive investment.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Apr 29, 2015,
Yeah. I've always used D addario strings. Recently just switched to NYXLs. Very pleased. I use Jazz III picks. Always have. Just what I'm comfortable with.
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7
83 Peavey Patriot Special

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 MKii
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
pretty much Ibanez pickups suck ass, the IBZ/ Dimarzio are decent, but that is still a stretch
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate