Hello everyone,
My pop-punk band is recording our EP this summer, and so we are looking at shows to play. Right now I play my Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro through a Fender Mustang III, but it's just too small for playing the medium gigs we are looking at.
I've looked at, among others, a Fender Bassman, a Marshall Mosfet Lead 100, a Peavey 5150, and a Fender Mustang V Head. My budget is around 300-400$, and I would prefer to buy used. Any recommendations are super appreciated!
Check out my band: facebook.com/WeAreDrifterBand
It would help if you could tell us what kind of sounds you're after. Pop-punk is a pretty wide genre with lots of different style guitar tones etc... Could you maybe post some examples (you can link youtube videos) of sounds you're after?

Do you need an effects loop? Do you need more than one channel? Does it have to be a stack or combo etc...?

You also say 'Fender Bassman'. What kind of bassman? Silverface? Blackface? Tweed? Red Knob?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by twostoomany
it's just too small for playing the medium gigs we are looking at.
Get a PA system.

Unless the venue is reeeally small (say no more than 30 people all in front of the stage) the problem with gigging unmic'd will be related to sound dispersion, not volume.

Volume will be enough in most cases, but guitar speakers basically project different portions of the sound (frequency bands) in different directions, and some parts of the sound will be attenuated by travel through air before others, so unless the audience can be all contained in a relatively small space, different parts of the audience will hear different things, with most of them not hearing much good stuff.

So if you're serious about gigging and you wanna achieve a more than mediocre sound result, get a PA system as well.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Get a PA system.

Unless the venue is reeeally small (say no more than 30 people all in front of the stage) the problem with gigging unmic'd will be related to sound dispersion, not volume.

Volume will be enough in most cases, but guitar speakers basically project different portions of the sound (frequency bands) in different directions, and some parts of the sound will be attenuated by travel through air before others, so unless the audience can be all contained in a relatively small space, different parts of the audience will hear different things, with most of them not hearing much good stuff.

So if you're serious about gigging and you wanna achieve a more than mediocre sound result, get a PA system as well.

^ +1

Also nowadays, I've found most places end up mic-ing the amps. (ie bars and what not who usually do events or open-mic nights)
It's actually gotten more rare (at least in my experience) for opportunities to arise where you need say a stack or a half stack of 100 watt amps. Often times it ends up being too much power for too small a place.
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]