My Peavey Valveking is making a static sound pretty badly now. It's done it in the past before but it was very mild, and not even audible when playing. Today it just went terrible out of nowhere. I've changed all the tubes and played through a different speaker, didn't make any difference.

Something odd is that turning the volume all the way down on the clean channel doesn't mute the static, but doing it on the gain channel does mute the sound completely.

I've recorded a clip of it, to show exactly what it sounds like, and that the actual guitar sound is completely unhindered.

https://soundcloud.com/tas38/whoosh
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
I have no solutions but my VK212 has a little bit of this noise from time to time. Not as prominent but it does happen. Can't recall if it's just clean channel or both. I just assumed it was a tube issue, as it'd been banged around whilst gigging. But if you've replaced all your tubes then I don't know. Amp maintenance and repair isn't my forte.
Guitars:
EVH Wolfgang Special LH
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013
Ibanez EW20LASE-NT LH

Effects:
BOSS GT-100

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410
Laney IRT Studio + 112 cab
May be a dodgy pot or a bad solder joint, hard to tell for certain but that's where I'd start.

I'll look at a schematic if I can find one and see if the clean v. gain channel difference leads to any potential areas.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
May be a dodgy pot or a bad solder joint, hard to tell for certain but that's where I'd start.

I'll look at a schematic if I can find one and see if the clean v. gain channel difference leads to any potential areas.

Thanks for the help, but to be blunt, if I have to take the amp apart that pretty much means taking it to a tech or just buying another Valveking.

Couple updates: Tonight, the sound has changed a little bit and it sounds exactly like FM radio static. It also works fine if I go straight into the FX return, so I guess that would mean it's in the preamp for sure.
Pull your preamp tubes out. Spray some contact cleaner onto the pins and work the tube in and out of the socket three times.
If that fails to fix it, roll your spare preamp tube through it. Beyond that, it will have to be opened up.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I went ahead and decided to try swapping preamp tubes again. I had V1 in the socket but it felt like it could go a little deeper, I pushed it in pretty hard and it gave just a tiny bit more. I've never experienced that before with any tube. Long story short, it seems to have fixed it for the most part. The swoosh is still there, but it's only about as loud as the hum from the guitar (and my guitar is pretty quiet). Something clanked a little bit when I forced the tube in, and the socket was little bit loose so I tightened it up.

I'm going to buy contact cleaner next time I get the chance and see if that takes out the rest of the noise. It would make sense it seems like. I appreciate the help and now tomorrow I can finally start using my Scarlett Solo!
Always check that the tube pins are straight. You may have damaged the socket.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by tas38
Thanks for the help, but to be blunt, if I have to take the amp apart that pretty much means taking it to a tech or just buying another Valveking.

Couple updates: Tonight, the sound has changed a little bit and it sounds exactly like FM radio static. It also works fine if I go straight into the FX return, so I guess that would mean it's in the preamp for sure.

Why?

Look, minor electronics repair isn't particularly difficult. If you can make toast, pee without hitting the seat and read you can learn minor electronics repair.

Unless it's a time issue, you can do it. We can help.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
^

The main thing with tube amps is draining the filter capacitors before you work on the amp. But if you're satisfied with what you have now, I wouldn't worry about digging into the amp (although the socket/pin might be bent as Cath said). You should be able to tell if something is wonky on the pin/socket just by pulling the tube out again. However, the socket might have became unseated and that would be no fun.

My VK does some humming/buzzing, but that's just from noisy old filter caps, yours might be the same as well (especially if it's an older model). If it's not noticeable when playing/miced/room sound, I wouldn't worry about it.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 30, 2015,