Hello again wonderful people of UG.

So i have a new question for you, or rather something i'd like advice regarding. So the last four weeks i have been traveling the country and auditioned to different music schools, these are schools in my country that are pre-college level, to help students to reach the required level to get into college for music as well as provide them with an environment where they get to study music 5 days a week, live at the school, and be a part of the local music scene where the school is located.

I just found out that i got accepted to one of the schools i applied to, and that i am a backup at an even better school if someone that got accepted decides to drop out/gets into another school. So i know for sure that i am going to start studying music this fall at least.

Now, my question is what should i do in music school, other than the obvious, going to class. I know networking is important, so i will be talking and getting to know all my fellow students and teachers, i will try to get an apartment to share with a couple of other students as well, spending time outside of school hours practicing with a band is also something i will make happen (school is between 8:00-16:00, but the rehearsal rooms are open from 06:00 until 23:00). But after that i am not sure what else i can do. So i am wondering, what are some good things to put your time into/think about when going into school? What are the things you think were important when you went to school for music, or what are the things you regret not doing? (For people that have studied music)

Thanks in advance guys, i appreciate it greatly.

Mr. D.
I think you have the right idea. Meet as many people as you can and if possible work with them. Say yes to as much as you can and try to seek out and create opportunities and projects. Be ready and willing to get out of your comfort zone.
Half the battle (maybe more than half) is figuring out what to practice and how to practice.

That's where the teachers come in.

The answer will depend, in large part, on your individual musical and career goals (as well as any academic deficits you need to address.)

You will probably need to balance the time you spend playing with ensembles with individual time spent "in the woodshed" studying your core subjects and practicing your instrument.

In order to succeed with the latter endeavor, I recommend finding roommates who are not "24 hour party people" and an apartment that affords some modicum of peace and quiet, personal space, etc.

You want to make the most of your time in school by really immersing yourself in all things musical and by really focusing on the areas you want to develop or improve as a musician.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Disclaimer: I'm a G.I.T. grad. Therefore, according to the rules of UGF, I am uniquely unqualified to advise you on, well, anything.
"No one is a sorcerer every hour of the day. How could you live?" — Pablo Picasso
Congrats on getting into music school.

Like all qualifications, your success will be determined by what you do outside of it. This means that in addition to fulfilling your class requirements and making friends in the degree, you should be getting out into the rest of the world and build a name for yourself. Join a coue of bands, do some fill in stuff on the side, teach if you like. See if you can make all of your extra money purely through music during your degree. If you do that, you'll have immediate work to go to once the degree has finished.

If you finish your degree and haven't done anything musically outside it, you will instantly become the stereotypical homeless musician. Unfortunately this does make up the majority of music school grads.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I finished yesterday the first year of my studies in jazz performance. Its my 2nd year of study (last year I was in the same music faculty, but I didn't get into performance). Some general advice :

- Investigate your future guitar teachers, look for recordings, videos, if the teacher is active in the local music scene, etc. and choose the one whose playing you would like to emulate

- I'm not sure what your major is, but if you have courses like Jazz Improvisation, labs, or any course that will directly help you to get better at guitar playing, take them in your first year. This year I took Jazz improv classes so I can work on the concepts learned from the class and integrate everything into my practice sessions. Some concepts take a lot of time to master and to integrate into your playing and its better to start practicing that kind of stuff earlier instead of doing it at the end of your degree

- Get into as much ensembles as you can, this way you can meet and play with other music students. By playing with people at school you can network, you can get to know who are the assholes and who are the people you could collaborate on music projects outside of school

- Don t spend your money on BS /easy electives for your optional courses. Instead, take classes that will give you additional tools, like music programming, recording, arrangement, etc
My general tip for music-stuff:
Listen to as many different genres and styles as you can and analyse what you like and dislike about it. If you play jazz, you can learn a lot from metal and techno and the other way around!

Other tip:
Take A LOT of notes. Every sort of feedback can apply to multiple occasions. I regret not writing everything down so I can take a look at it to help me some time.

And everyone here is saying that you should play with as many people as you can, but try to be a bit selective. If you don't like instrumental punk, don't play in an instrumental punk band. Jamming with them can be beneficial but you'll hear yourself saying: "we should totally jam sometime" about 10 times as much as you'll actually jam.
Spending 10 hours a week on a project that could really work is better than spending 10 hours jamming with new people every time, I think...
Do everything. Get into every genre of music and learn how to play/write/record/arrange in all of them.

Be professional.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Every single person who plays an instrument has something to teach you. Even if they suck. We all have slightly different styles. Learn to be able to play the same song in many different styles, it will help broaden your creativity.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album