I was here the other day about delay pedals, and there were almost as many suggestions as there were replies. I did some research and spent some time in store playing with the options they had, but I couldn't make up my mind. I didn't fall in love with any of the analog pedals, so I'm thinking the increased control and flexibility of a digital pedal would suit me better. Also, I'm not looking for any particular sound; just a versatile delay that can handle a lot. Delay is such an important effect and many people seem to have 2 or 3 pedals to cover all the types they want. It seems like it would be easier to get a timeline instead of cycling through various pedals until I find the ones I want. I don't plan on gigging, so I'd have plenty of time to dive into all the parameters to really nail any tone I could think of.

So, if you had no delay and enough money for the Timeline, would you buy it or not? What other pedal/s would you get instead?
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
Quote by Skar578
So, if you had no delay and enough money for the Timeline, would you buy it or not? What other pedal/s would you get instead?

I think it's very overwhelming for someone who isn't a delay enthusiast. It's not a plug and play pedal and you need to read the manual. You also have to go through menus to make adjustments. It's not something that you turn a few knobs and flip a switch or two to get a sound you like. And the truth is that the Timeline doesn't do everything. I think a Timeline is worth the price but it's not worth the price for someone who asks that question. And just curious but what amp are you going to use with it? Delay is an effect that completely relies on what you're plugging it into.

For alternatives, I would look into a TC Flashback or Line 6 DL4 (maybe M5) for versatility. But if you don't like analog pedals, just look for a simple digital delay. A lot of the higher end digital delays digitally replicate old analog circuits. Those circuits are desired for their imperfections and strange behaviors.
I really liked Line6's delay modeler when I tried it. Alternately, now I've settled on a Boss DD3 and a Mod Tone Analog delay as they get me the delay tones I want. If I want something dedicated, I'd probably get one of the more expensive TC or Lexicon units, or even go rackmount as rack delays used are peanuts to buy and I have the pedal midi controllers to use them for interfacing with them.
If you can, I would.
Alternatively, the TC Flashback X4 is a good option. I own one and love it.
[404]Signature not found
I have the DL4 and it will be permanently on my board for eternity. If it broke, I would replace it with another DL4.
I highly recommend it if you want something in between the Timeline and the basic delays. Its gigantic but its also chock full o' delay tricks and has an awesome looper (which is advertised as 14 seconds but you can hit a switch and makes it 28 seconds, which is plenty for 99% of the looping I do.), there's all kinds of weird tricks it does. And it is plug and play.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Jelifish19, I know the timeline isn't the most intuitive thing, but that doesn't bother me. I'm not gigging with it so I'll have plenty of time to dial the effects and adjust parameters until I liked it. I wasn't asking if a unit of this quality is worth it, but specifically is this a good value for my money compared to other delay stations. I'm playing it through an orange micro terror, with a lower gain tube (more clean headroom).
Guitars:
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

It's not worth it if you're using it with a Micro Terror. A really good delay pedal is only going to shine with a really good amp. And it's not about having time to adjust them, it's whether you really need them or not. Do you need a tape, bucket brigade, reverse delay, ducking, swell, lo-fi, pitch-shifting, and trem delays? You're paying $400 to get those things. If you're not going to use them, it's not worth it. The average guitarist is fine with just a simple digital delay. The Timeline is for delay enthusiasts. Most of the algorithms are very specialized. You have to be deliberate with their use. It's not for people who are just looking for delay.
Jeli, thanks. Thats probably the best help regarding the strymon. After your last comment I started reading through the timeline manual to get a better understanding of it. The whole time I was thinking that I didn't really need this much control, but at least I'd have plenty of awesome sounds to take advantage of. I didn't think much how overkill this was for me.
Guitars:
Gibson SGJ 2014

Then get a DL4 or a TC Flashback X4. I'm pretty frugal myself but having a bunch of different crazy delays to screw around with just for experimental noises has some value to it, imo. Add in the looper and the couple delays you will use regularly and either is actually an arguably frugal buy. Yet they both sound very classy and most functions are simple to use.

Even cheaper, the regular TC Flashback pedal still has multiple delay options and a looper.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I have a love hate relationship with Line 6 DL4s.
There isn't a pedal on my 15-pedal board that makes me more creative.
However, my DL4 is also my most unreliable pedal. I have 2. Both are wonky. I'll press a button and then it's like "oh, you pressed THIS other button, right?" and it'll activate that and f*ck everything up.
DL4s have had this problem for decades and they haven't been fixed of the problem. I know I'm not the only one.
So as much as I love the DL4, I thought I'd warn you cuz f*ck Line 6 and their shitty quality products.

To answer the post, the Timeline is really, really cool and goes really, really deep, and since you're not performing live that could be a great thing. I perform live all the time and do a lot of improv, so a Timeline wouldn't be too good for that cuz of the menu diving. Delays like the DL4 or Flashback x4 help you play and alter your tones in real time a lot easier. And they're a lot cheaper.