I've been playing on a acoustic guitar for almost two years now, and I'm looking to buy a electric guitar. I know very little about electric guitars, so I'm not sure what to look for. Any suggestions for a good electric guitar and amp? (preferably under $250) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I have been doing some browsing, and I've found these two starter packs.

Opinions and suggestions are much appreciated
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RZCZ90/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A6D50L0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A14L2MX88GSRVI
Last edited by JumJumJR at Apr 30, 2015,
Usually people will ask what kind of sound you're looking for. But at this stage of the game, you'll want to pick an electric guitar based on what kind of music you listen to and look at what kind/style of guitar the bands/artists use. So you should give that a thought (i.e. Stratocaster vs Les Paul style guitars ; single coils vs humbuckers etc.)

Anyways,
Out of the two option you have there, I would place my vote on the epiphone pack.

However, other considerations you may want to look at:
Squier Classic Vibe guitars which are a bit more than what you have stated
Squier Standard Stratocaster or Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Amps:
Roland Cube Series (Microcube or 15Watt should be more than sufficient for bedroom practice!)
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
Thanks for the help!

Quote by xvasmx
Usually people will ask what kind of sound you're looking for. But at this stage of the game, you'll want to pick an electric guitar based on what kind of music you listen to and look at what kind/style of guitar the bands/artists use.\

With my acoustic guitar, I generally play whatever song I enjoy, but I plan on mainly playing 80-90s rock with an electric guitar.
Last edited by JumJumJR at Apr 30, 2015,
i have a squier vintage modifed 1970s strat. its amazing for $250. if youre american zzzounds.com is great with their payment plan, no credit check.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by JumJumJR
Thanks for the help!

With my acoustic guitar, I generally play whatever song I enjoy, but I plan on manly playing 80-90s rock with an electric guitar.

Ah alright! Any of the ones I recommended would be versatile enough for that
~Vince~
Yamaha F310

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by JumJumJR
With my acoustic guitar, I generally play whatever song I enjoy, but I plan on manly playing 80-90s rock with an electric guitar.

I would recommend using a humbucker for that.

Squier Vintage Modified 51 Stratocaster?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
Do you need to be heard, or would a headphone amp suffice? Like a Behringer or Line-6?

When it comes to guitars and amps, pawn shops have always been my first stop, but misspellings on E-bay have gotten me some deals too. Buying new is rarely worth it, especially when buying used lets you sell it for the same as what you bought it for when you outgrow/get tired of it.
Quote by griptape
Do you need to be heard, or would a headphone amp suffice? Like a Behringer or Line-6?

When it comes to guitars and amps, pawn shops have always been my first stop, but misspellings on E-bay have gotten me some deals too. Buying new is rarely worth it, especially when buying used lets you sell it for the same as what you bought it for when you outgrow/get tired of it.

Totally depends on the amp I feel.
Some older solid state amps just start falling apart or humming and what not after x number of years (this is assuming OP is sticking at the stated price range. It's a little difficult to get a valve/tube amp in that range. Even used, replacement tubes & gen. maintenance can easily go above & beyond the price range)
~Vince~
Yamaha F310

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by xvasmx
Usually people will ask what kind of sound you're looking for. But at this stage of the game, you'll want to pick an electric guitar based on what kind of music you listen to and look at what kind/style of guitar the bands/artists use. So you should give that a thought (i.e. Stratocaster vs Les Paul style guitars ; single coils vs humbuckers etc.)

Anyways,
Out of the two option you have there, I would place my vote on the epiphone pack.

However, other considerations you may want to look at:
Squier Classic Vibe guitars which are a bit more than what you have stated
Squier Standard Stratocaster or Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Amps:
Roland Cube Series (Microcube or 15Watt should be more than sufficient for bedroom practice!)

+1

the vox mini3 is pretty nice for a mini amp as well. similar idea to the microcube.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?