Page 1 of 2
Who are your favourite famous musicians who aren't primarily musicians? For the purposes of this thread, we will discuss people whose careers are predominantly not in music (Ariana Grande does not count- arianagrande_deadsmileyface.gif). This excludes people who started as musicians but took divergent career paths either temporarily or permanently (e.g. Ludacris, Jamie Foxx, Justin Timberlake, Ricky Gervais, Mark Wahlberg, Jennifer Lopez, Will Smith, Jared Leto, Eddie Murphy).

Hugh Laurie comes to mind immediately (though I think he's doing music full time these days).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsgiX42sXuU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_XSU43gEls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HrmAgYE-6k

I will add more later as I think of them.

Other examples include Zooey Deschanel, Johnny Depp, Bernie Williams (before he retired), Gwyneth Paltrow, Seth McFarlane, Shaq, Paris Hilton, Russel Crowe, Michael Cera, Anne Hathaway, Scarlett Johansson, Ryan Gosling, and Manny Pacquiao.
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at Apr 30, 2015,
Rick Rubin.

learned four chords for a w/e punk band, became a producer but doesn't know how to operate anything in a studio or anything about actually producing but still gets to work with lots of different musicians. this is my dream job right here.

(not even a fan of most of his production but I like the general idea. )

this isn't what you meant for the thread but still.

Alexander Borodin

Professionally, he was a respected doctor and chemist. Yet he still managed to find the time and develop the skills to compose into the rankings of the Russian Five...alongside Rimsky-Korsakoff and Mussorgsky.

That's fuckin' mental!!

Seth McFarlane is pretty good too. Has a great sense and voice for big band jazz.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Apr 30, 2015,
michael cera and scarlett johansson I'm pretty sure are the only actor side projects I really have even listened to

michael fassbender has a good voice too
Quote by whywefight
michael cera and scarlett johansson I'm pretty sure are the only actor side projects I really have even listened to

michael fassbender has a good voice too

They do not have to be actors. I listed many actors because that's how it worked out based on what I know.
Free Ali
Myself.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Why wouldn't Jared Leto count? He was a famous actor almost a decade before 30StM released their first album
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Will Ferrell
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Oscar Isaac
"If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
Lewis Carroll
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Bruce Willis

Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by MH400
"Musicians who aren't musicians"

Drummers.

Quote by chrismendiola
They do not have to be actors. I listed many actors because that's how it worked out based on what I know.

oh I know, I just really couldn't think of any other examples
The Edge

watch It Might Get Loud
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
hello ts i am here to inform you that the proposed topic is impossible, as you must be a musician in order to be a musician. you cannot be something that you are not
superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by Baby Joel
hello ts i am here to inform you that the proposed topic is impossible, as you must be a musician in order to be a musician. you cannot be something that you are not

Are you including shit-pop boy bands in this?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Why wouldn't Jared Leto count? He was a famous actor almost a decade before 30StM released their first album

Was he? All right, you can use Jared Leto if you want.

Quote by CaptainCanti
Charles Manson

Damn, I forgot about Charles Manson. Yeah, he made some decent music.
Free Ali
Quote by Baby Joel

You can be a musician without having a career in music tho.
Quote by chrismendiola
Was he? All right, you can use Jared Leto if you want.

Requiem for a Dream was before 30StM, he got his start on My So Called Life.

Anyway, I feel like most people are only familiar with a handful of songs like The Kill and Kings and Queens, but 30 Seconds to Mars has some other great songs ranging from rock to arena pop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-tqzcq1BY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wiFq9LrACU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK268TLKCK4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY2Uz_PZsFM

I'd say if there's a weakness, they always try to make their songs sound epic. I was talking to Pagan Poetry once and he put it perfectly "every song sounds like it should be the last song on the album"
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

'Cause chris was the only kid at school that didn't like The Kill.
Quote by slipknot5678
Rick Rubin.

learned four chords for a w/e punk band, became a producer but doesn't know how to operate anything in a studio or anything about actually producing but still gets to work with lots of different musicians. this is my dream job right here.

(not even a fan of most of his production but I like the general idea. )

this isn't what you meant for the thread but still.

What does he actually do?
Bernie Williams (NY Yankees. Excellent guitar player), Robert Downey Junior, check out his live duet with Sting on YouTube singing "Every Breath You Take". He also is a pretty good song writer and piano player. He recorded a decent album in 2004. It's not a great album but it's better than most of the other crap I hear out there from industry made boy bands and other lip syncing female singers with lots of auto-tune on their crappy voices.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 30, 2015,
This guy played baseball for the Yankees for a long time and he is actually a great jazz guitarist! His albums have some great playing, although the music can be kind of cheesy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lN_Z2mg3mY

EDIT:

Quote by Rickholly74
Bernie Williams (NY Yankees. Excellent guitar player), Robert Downey Junior, check out his live duet with Sting on YouTube singing "Every Breath You Take". He also is a pretty good song writer and piano player. He recorded a decent album in 2004.

**** you
Chris Jericho
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
^Oh yeah that reminds me of Eric Show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkS6y2AJyBo

Plays guitar at 0:52. He'd probably have been a successful musician if he wasn't doing baseball.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Requiem for a Dream was before 30StM, he got his start on My So Called Life.

Anyway, I feel like most people are only familiar with a handful of songs like The Kill and Kings and Queens, but 30 Seconds to Mars has some other great songs ranging from rock to arena pop.

-vidyas-

I'd say if there's a weakness, they always try to make their songs sound epic. I was talking to Pagan Poetry once and he put it perfectly "every song sounds like it should be the last song on the album"

This Is War is a phenomenal album and I don't care what anyone else thinks.
Night of the Hunter, Closer to the Edge, Hurricane, the title track, 100 Suns...much good.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by SGstriker
This Is War is a phenomenal album and I don't care what anyone else thinks.
Night of the Hunter, Closer to the Edge, Hurricane, the title track, 100 Suns...much good.

Their best album in my opinion. Only downside is I've heard a couple renditions of Night of the Hunter live on YouTube and it doesn't translate well live, the guitar intro sounds kinda empty, which is a shame because it's my favorite song of theirs and their songs are usually enjoyable live because of the visuals.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Page 1 of 2