I'm buying an Explorer, and my options right now are the Dean Chicago Flame Z, or the Epiphone Thunderhorse. I don't have a music store close to me, so I can't try either of them out, and can't find much online about either.
I don't know the Thunderhorse, but the Chicago (and 79) series Deans are decent axes in their price categories..
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 30, 2015,
Never played a dean but i have the epiphone explorer korina.I dont have time to go into depth but its pretty good for its price and has great sustain with a fast neck.
They're going to be very differently voiced guitars because the pickups in both of them are so different.

The Epiphone Thunderhorse has Gibson Burstbuckers, which are very PAF-like.

The Dean has Dimarzio Super Distortions, which are very hot and in-your-face sounding.

They're both great sets of pickups, but they specialize in very different things. You need to know what is more important to you.

Personally, the Thunderhorse is a ****ing awesome-looking guitar. Everything is so 'right' about it in terms of looks and in my experience Epiphone's Explorers in general are a great value. They're a huge amount of guitar for the money.

I've played at least 1 or 2 different Dean Z's before. Both Korean. I personally don't think they're made quite as well as other Korean guitars made in the same factory. The ones I did try played okay though.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
They're going to be very differently voiced guitars because the pickups in both of them are so different.

The Epiphone Thunderhorse has Gibson Burstbuckers, which are very PAF-like.

The Dean has Dimarzio Super Distortions, which are very hot and in-your-face sounding.

They're both great sets of pickups, but they specialize in very different things. You need to know what is more important to you.

Personally, the Thunderhorse is a ****ing awesome-looking guitar. Everything is so 'right' about it in terms of looks and in my experience Epiphone's Explorers in general are a great value. They're a huge amount of guitar for the money.

I've played at least 1 or 2 different Dean Z's before. Both Korean. I personally don't think they're made quite as well as other Korean guitars made in the same factory. The ones I did try played okay though.

+1

When in doubt see if you can try them both out!
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
As stated, the OP can't.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
As stated, the OP can't.

Unless OP is buying them online...which wasn't stated.
OP would probably have to go somewhere to get them.
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
OP, what kind of music do you play? As in genre, similar artists we might know etc.
Also, what amp etc are you using?
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
I play mostly metal, stuff like Judas Priest, Megadeth, older Metallica. The amp I'm using right now is a Peavey Transtube half stack.
They're both very similar guitars and it's hard to argue that any of them is going to be objectively better in terms of quality or what you're intending to play with it. I think this is one of those occasions were it would be best to go for the guitar that you think looks more inspiring.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
They're both very similar guitars and it's hard to argue that any of them is going to be objectively better in terms of quality or what you're intending to play with it. I think this is one of those occasions were it would be best to go for the guitar that you think looks more inspiring.

Alright, I wasn't really sure on the quality of the Dean, I've heard they can be pretty aweful lol. If the Thunderhorse happens to sell before I can get it, I'll go to the Dean.
Quote by Alpha Decay
Alright, I wasn't really sure on the quality of the Dean, I've heard they can be pretty aweful lol.

Make no mistake, they can be, but that particular line should be OK.

Now, if that worries you, could you tell us what other brands you can find that you're curious about? Your budget? Because we can still help!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 1, 2015,
For example, Fernandes is clearing out a limited supply of their guitars online. Some of those deals are quite good.

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com