Page 1 of 3
Okay, I'm sure that everyone has noticed that you can now set your Amplifi with your Apple Watch (what, you haven't done this yet?): http://line6.com/amplifi/app/?mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRonuqnPZKXonjHpfsX56ewkXaCg38431UFwdcjKPmjr1YIDRMR0aPyQAgobGp5I5FEJSLbYUKJut6EPUw%3D%3D

And yet, on another thread, a user is trying to figure out how to get his raggedy-ass mono footswitch to leave the reverb on his 50-year-old-design tube amp ON (it's expecting a TRS connector).

We've really gotten to a First World vs. Third World condition with guitar technology.
Except nobody is gonna buy an Apple Watch.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
And the Amplifi is POD XT tech which already makes the modeling outdated by 7 years
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
And god knows I want to set my amp with a 2" touch screen when I have a full-sized man's hand.
Might work for you dainty guys dspellman.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm usually an early adopter, but I can see no real use for the iWatch.

I saw the L6 blurb and while it's a novelty I don't think much of it other than that.

The modern pencil is 200+ year old tech, the ball point pen is over 100, yet they are still immensely popular.

Why?

Because they work...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Robbgnarly
And god knows I want to set my amp with a 2" touch screen when I have a full-sized man's hand.
Might work for you dainty guys dspellman.

Thank you! This will mark the first time ANYONE has ever called me "dainty."
Quote by Arby911
I'm usually an early adopter, but I can see no real use for the iWatch.

I saw the L6 blurb and while it's a novelty I don't think much of it other than that.

The modern pencil is 200+ year old tech, the ball point pen is over 100, yet they are still immensely popular.

Why?

Because they work...

Right. And you'd give up email and texting and scanning in a second and be perfectly willing to go back to pen and pencil? While the pen and pencil may still work, the current generation of 8th-graders has a hard time producing legible handwriting.

The smartphone got a lot of the same kind of "it's a novelty" dismissal when it arrived. So, for that matter, did the personal computer, which was actually *banned* from some offices when it was introduced. Apple ]['s had to be bootlegged in.

I'm not going to debate the merits of an Apple Watch (don't have one, no plans). But I wouldn't underestimate Apple's ability to sell them.

Nor would I underestimate Line 6; they've effectively made modeling commonplace, have sold over a million of the little Spider modeling amps, became the largest amp manufacturer by market share and forced Fender to change course and develop its Mustang series of amps to compete.

All that aside, when technology and antiquity compete, it's usually antiquity that's marginalized. It may remain a sentimental favorite, but not an economic one.
Hipster excited about a gimmick from Apple with flashing lights.

Next in the News, water is wet.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by dspellman
Right. And you'd give up email and texting and scanning in a second and be perfectly willing to go back to pen and pencil? While the pen and pencil may still work, the current generation of 8th-graders has a hard time producing legible handwriting.

The smartphone got a lot of the same kind of "it's a novelty" dismissal when it arrived. So, for that matter, did the personal computer, which was actually *banned* from some offices when it was introduced. Apple ]['s had to be bootlegged in.

I'm not going to debate the merits of an Apple Watch (don't have one, no plans). But I wouldn't underestimate Apple's ability to sell them.

Nor would I underestimate Line 6; they've effectively made modeling commonplace, have sold over a million of the little Spider modeling amps, became the largest amp manufacturer by market share and forced Fender to change course and develop its Mustang series of amps to compete.

All that aside, when technology and antiquity compete, it's usually antiquity that's marginalized. It may remain a sentimental favorite, but not an economic one.

for real,
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 30, 2015,
Bottom line; Amplifis are shit. Iwatch is shit. Shit + shit != good. it just means more shit.
And anyway, how is adjusting the amp on your watch of any value whatsoever? Just sounds like a PITA to me.

Friggin hipsters.
Latest isn't always greatest. High sales != good. Are you 15? You should have learned that by now, surely.

And btw, plugging the wrong switch into an amp means? The Amplifi wont work if you plug a banana into it either - what's your point?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 30, 2015,
Quote by Cathbard
Are you 15? You should have learned that by now, surely.

It should be covered in my next Econ class. Thank you Mister Catheter, I'll consider this Advanced Placement.

Quote by Cathbard
And btw, plugging the wrong switch into an amp means? The Amplifi wont work if you plug a banana into it either - what's your point?

What?
Quote by dspellman

What?

What were you trying to say?

You do realise that from this point on you will regarded as a full on hipster don't you? I always suspected it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The only time i was excited about such tech is when tc electronics came out with the novelty of being able to beam toneprints into their pedals through your guitar's pickup using a iphone/pad. That was something i hadn't ever thought of in my head.

This however isn't amazing anymore, nice but not utilitarian when wanting to change patches on the fly. Unless you touch the watch & start playing the 007 theme song, all while wearing a black tux, then its cool!
i would rather use my foot.

despellman is a line 6 fanboi. this confirms it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It's definitely a big advancement.

The amplifi's sound is nothing to talk about though, and at least for now the apple watch is just a gimmick 'cause it can't do anything that a phone can't, nor it can do anything better than a phone.

I'm thinking using it just to change patches, so having like a couple buttons on that screen instead of 6 faders, could be pretty nice and useful, but that idea in particular seems it was formulated by somebody who prefers new stuff to old stuff just solely because "it's new".

I agree with the pencil analogy.
People nowadays use computers because they offer a hell of a lot more possibilities than pencils, but there's still a hell of a lot of things I'd rather do with a pencil than a computer, namely taking notes that require me to write symbols, or drawing outdoors, or making simple drawings.

Maybe in 5 or maybe in 50 years I'm convinced they'll be able to create the guitar amp equivalent of a computer, so make it sound as good as a good, high quality analog amp, and make it more versatile.

The computer analogy of that would be the macintosh computer - it used to be the only computer running software designed for graphic design, yet it was still very buggy.
You might argue people didn't use it because they were used to other stuff and their work would have only benefited from using it, but the thing WAS buggy as hell.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by dspellman

Yet email, texting etc. haven't replaced the pen and pencil because for many things they just work better. It's not a binary choice, we can have both.

I'm aware of the advance of technology, even revel in it, and I might be wrong about the Apple watch, but I doubt it.

I don't underestimate L6, I actually admire a lot of their gear, I'm not sure where you got that from?

I think you're arguing to be arguing and I'm not sure why. Do you enjoy being the butt of jokes? Is there in you some pathological need to take the knowledge and experience you clearly have and self-marginalize it?

I try diligently to see your side of issues because when you choose to, you come across as intelligent and knowledgeable (albeit a bit aggressively opinionated, but I can't throw stones there...) but damn, you make it really hard sometimes.
Charles Darwin
Here's the deal.

I don't have an Amplifi and have no intentions of getting one. It is, however, an interesting advance in amps in that

1. It's probably the first "combo" amp that starts with a full-range speaker system, which is an advantage for modeling.

2. We have all these extended-range bedroom metalistas trying to find more bottom end with their 15-watt amps, and this offers a very extended bottom end with enough power to produce reasonable volume at that end of things (especially true of the 150W version).

3. It offers the ability to be an all-round speaker system for a medium space, capable of playing, with good fidelity, content from computer, iPod, video game console, TV, etc. If nothing else, that saves space and wiring and makes a guitar amp a lot more wife/living room friendly. And yes, if you have an Apple watch, you can walk in the room and punch up tunes from that.

4. You can leave the thing in one spot and operate all the controls from wherever else you are, via almost any iOS or Android gizmo (including an iPad size). This means you don't have to be sitting right next to it or squinting into a tiny screen inconveniently placed. And if you're practicing, you can make changes from your mike stand. If you like to practice with your speaker cabinets across the room facing you so that you can hear what the audience is likely to hear, that's a good thing.

None of that is an "issue" or a bad thing; they're all non-hipsterish and thoughtful advances pretty much in line with how people use things these days.

When Line 6 introduced the first combo amps (back in the late '90's) with some modeling built in, they were trashed by a lot of the traditional guitar community, but by 2011 the stupid little Spider III 15-watter sold 12,700 units and was the best-selling guitar amp in America. The Spider IVs (15, 30, 75, 120W) are all currently the best selling amps at their levels. The point?

That is, de facto, the mainstream.

The original post was snarky more than earnest; it was a dig at the whole "set your Watch and your guitar amp listens" ethos, but was apparently not snarky enough. I don't have an Apple Watch and have no plans to get one of those, either. I don't, in fact, have ANY watch; I tend to destroy them (and/or any jewelry I wear). Contrary to Robbgnarly's good-natured poke, I'm not very dainty. I'm linebacker-sized and have lunchbox-size XXL-glove size hands, and I'm capable of turning a Breitling's innards to jelly within a week. I've done so.

The original post was simply a slightly sarcastic observation of the 50-year stretch we have in guitar ampdom, where one thread concerns someone trying to figure out why his mono footswitch isn't working in the stereo (TRS) input of an ancient tube amp design while an email I received touts the benefits of running a very different setup with a wrist device. Go back and read the original post and you'll see.

The result was a discussion of pens and pencils, accusations of "hipsterism" (a hipster by definition is urban, white, 20-30ish, and anti-mainstream), a Robbgnarly "lalalalalalala I don't want to hear this" meme, Cathbard's predictable "THIS is shit and THAT is shit and THEY'RE ALL SHIT TOGETHER!" All good, and all fun.
Last edited by dspellman at May 1, 2015,
This argument + the thing about writing equipment reminds me of a story.

When the US guys brought a ballpoint pen to space and realized it wouldn't write in absence of gravity, they thought it was inacceptable and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in designing and building something that could solve the problem.

After months, the result was a pen that could write in space, upside down, underwater and on very lucid surfaces.

When presented with the same problems, the soviets used a pencil.

That to say, if something works there's no need to fix it.

Now you're arguing here that stuff might work better, and I think you're right on this, but these things you described look pretty good on paper alone, about as much as NPN transistors look better than triodes on paper.

They don't live up to their specs you might say.

So basically you'll be very right when digital stuff will sound good enough.
Until to that point, you're almost only gonna get hate for your radical opinions about the matter
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2

When the US guys brought a ballpoint pen to space and realized it wouldn't write in absence of gravity, they thought it was inacceptable and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in designing and building something that could solve the problem.

After months, the result was a pen that could write in space, upside down, underwater and on very lucid surfaces.

Sort of an urban legend, that. Paul Fisher actually invented it (private funds, not gummint) in 1965. And using pencils was a bad idea and the Soviets eventually went all in for Space Pens as well.

From Wiki:

A common urban legend states that NASA spent a large amount of money to develop a pen that would write in space (the result purportedly being the Fisher Space Pen), while the Soviets just used pencils.[2][3] There is a grain of truth: NASA began to develop a space pen, but when development costs skyrocketed the project was abandoned and astronauts went back to using pencils, along with the Soviets.[2][3] However, the claim that NASA spent millions on the Space Pen is incorrect, as the Fisher pen was developed using private capital, not government funding. NASA – and the Soviets[3][4][5] – eventually began purchasing such pens.

NASA programs previously used pencils[6] (for example a 1965 order of mechanical pencils[7]) but because of the substantial dangers that broken pencil tips and graphite dust pose to electronics in zero gravity, the flammable nature of wood present in pencils,[7] and the inadequate quality documentation produced by non-permanent or smeared recordkeeping, a better solution was needed. Russian cosmonauts used pencils, and grease pencils on plastic slates until also adopting a space pen in 1969 with a purchase of 100 units for use on all future missions.[8] NASA never approached Paul Fisher to develop a pen, nor did Fisher receive any government funding for the pen's development.[7] Fisher invented it independently and then, in 1965, asked NASA to try it. After extensive testing, NASA decided to use the pens in future Apollo missions.[6][8][9] Subsequently, in 1967 it was reported that NASA purchased approximately 400 pens for $6 a piece.[8]
Quote by Spambot_2

What did the Italian space program come up with?

Charles Darwin
God knows I always believe wiki
yep the same as I'd believe my ol lady if she came home and said "I'm pregnant but I'm a virgin" sorry, but you guys are gullible if you believe that shit

I'd have my reservations

^ calzone's and Stromboli, so the pizza didn't go everywhere
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at May 1, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
yep the same as I'd believe my ol lady if she came home and said "I'm pregnant but I'm a virgin" sorry, but you guys are gullible if you believe that shit

I'd have my reservations

if you check the references, that story comes from www.physics.org/facts/apollo-nasa-pen.asp

physics dot org wouldn't lie to me!
Quote by Robbgnarly

You're silly, everyone knows the Italian space program invented screen doors, in case it got hot in the space ship...
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
You're silly, everyone knows the Italian space program invented screen doors, in case it got hot in the space ship...

Nope, that was the Polish NAVY sub program
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by NakedInTheRain
if you check the references, that story comes from www.physics.org/facts/apollo-nasa-pen.asp

physics dot org wouldn't lie to me!

That looks more credible than any wiki page to me
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by darkwolf291
Graphite's a metal, and would short out electronics
Not the best thing to use when said electronics keep you from dying a cold, lonely death in space

A mineral but not a metal.

Your point remains valid however.
Charles Darwin
Quote by dspellman
Sort of an urban legend, that. Paul Fisher actually invented it (private funds, not gummint) in 1965. And using pencils was a bad idea and the Soviets eventually went all in for Space Pens as well.

From Wiki: [...]
I stand corrected.

My point is still that even without the analogy tho
Quote by Arby911
What did the Italian space program come up with?
Quote by Robbgnarly
calzone's and Stromboli, so the pizza didn't go everywhere
Quote by Arby911
Oh come the **** on
Quote by Robbgnarly
Well there are references on wikipedia pages, see that little numbers in square brackets?
These are the references.

Also apart from a bit of vandalism wikipedia's been deemed about as credible than the encyclopedia britannica.
Of course you might argue these studies aren't credible but then you'd sound like nihilist instead of a biased and close minded asshole like you act everytime dspellman mentions anything at all.

Point taken about the graphite not being ideal in space guys, I think we all learned something today
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Spiders aren't the mainsteam amp because they sell more - they only sell them to kids. That makes them a mainstream toy and nothing more. Mattel probably sell more easybake ovens than any single other oven out there too. Is the Easybake oven the mainsteam oven?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I found the OP pretty funny. But how in the world am I, a 16 year old, on a guitar forum full of adults, reading a thread and thinking 'twelvie, twelvie, twelvie' to myself? This was a joke, and a good one at that. Let's not argue and just laugh at people who like Apple and Line 6

I'm a Russian, and I'll believe The Motherland's propaganda till my last breath! It wasn't graphite pencils, as pointed out, it was plastic grease pencils (closer to chalk in all technicality), so screw you 'Muricans!

And as far as keeping on what has become the thread 'topic', I'll be the first person to come out and say that as far as perfect, 100% pristine, strictly no break - up cleans go, I can't tell the difference between even crappy modelling and 'the real deal'. In my opinion, the more clipping/distortion is introduced to the signal, the easier it is to perceive modelling due to the harmonic content (and even - order vs odd order etc). However, if we're talking Kempers and AxeFXII (high end modelling), the Kemper comes like 90% close enough to the model when sampled correctly, and has traits (speaking strictly of the sound) that I'd prefer to the actual amp. For the AxeFXII, I actually prefer the sound of the EVH 5150III 50-watt on that to the actual thing, with any speaker cab matching. To me, all of the above means that we're more like 5 years away from getting computers to sound as good as analog.

Disclaimer: I ain't no audiophile, I can't even tell the difference between brands of tubes. I've played guitar for over 4 years now, music for over 9 if this matters to anyone.
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
Quote by 2Crosser
I found the OP pretty funny. But how in the world am I, a 16 year old, on a guitar forum full of adults, reading a thread and thinking 'twelvie, twelvie, twelvie' to myself? This was a joke, and a good one at that. Let's not argue and just laugh at people who like Apple and Line 6

I'm a Russian, and I'll believe The Motherland's propaganda till my last breath! It wasn't graphite pencils, as pointed out, it was plastic grease pencils (closer to chalk in all technicality), so screw you 'Muricans!

And as far as keeping on what has become the thread 'topic', I'll be the first person to come out and say that as far as perfect, 100% pristine, strictly no break - up cleans go, I can't tell the difference between even crappy modelling and 'the real deal'. In my opinion, the more clipping/distortion is introduced to the signal, the easier it is to perceive modelling due to the harmonic content (and even - order vs odd order etc). However, if we're talking Kempers and AxeFXII (high end modelling), the Kemper comes like 90% close enough to the model when sampled correctly, and has traits (speaking strictly of the sound) that I'd prefer to the actual amp. For the AxeFXII, I actually prefer the sound of the EVH 5150III 50-watt on that to the actual thing, with any speaker cab matching. To me, all of the above means that we're more like 5 years away from getting computers to sound as good as analog.

Disclaimer: I ain't no audiophile, I can't even tell the difference between brands of tubes. I've played guitar for over 4 years now, music for over 9 if this matters to anyone.

Most people cannot tell the different between the Axe FX and the real amp that it models in a mix, if that helps you.

Here, check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EtxHlJ2FPo
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
^I couldn't tell the Framus, but I'd never heard one personally. The 5150 was kind of obvious to me, but the Mesa was a lucky guess to be honest.
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
Quote by 2Crosser
Let's not argue and just laugh at people who like Apple and Line 6
Hey, don't exaggerate.

Apple doesn't only make watches and Line 6 doesn't only make spiders and ampli-fi's.
Quote by 2Crosser
Oh boy you learn new stuff everyday on the internet
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Cathbard
Spiders aren't the mainsteam amp because they sell more - they only sell them to kids. That makes them a mainstream toy and nothing more.

You wish.

That's a bit like saying that tube amps are only sold to Baby Boomer old farts with too much money and no ability to figure out how to use anything more complicated.

There's marketing data out there if you're really interested in who buys them. There are three or four companies at every NAMM that provide that stuff to manufacturers (for a hefty fee, of course).

Here's what's accurate about your statement, however. The cheaper ones ARE going to entry-level guitar players (as are the Fender Mustangs, which are Fender's fastest-selling amp by far). A whole generation has grown up with modeling amps and they're very comfortable with them. But the more expensive (and higher wattage) versions are ALSO the best selling in their classifications. And it isn't kids buying those.

The marketing data suggests that when they upgrade, they do so to other modeling products and/or to computer-based gear of some kind. Tube amps are still an upgrade choice, but they're pretty far down the list. That's just what the data says, not what I make up.

"Mainstream" is what it is. We don't have to be happy about it, nor do we have to slot in, like sheep in a flock. Ford sells more F150 pickups than any other vehicle they make. SUVs and pickups are now the mainstream choice. Automatic transmissions outsell manual transmissions. My personal preference is a small but overpowered coupe with great handling and a five or six-speed. Oh well.
Quote by dspellman
You wish.

That's a bit like saying that tube amps are only sold to Baby Boomer old farts with too much money and no ability to figure out how to use anything more complicated.

There's marketing data out there if you're really interested in who buys them. There are three or four companies at every NAMM that provide that stuff to manufacturers (for a hefty fee, of course).

Here's what's accurate about your statement, however. The cheaper ones ARE going to entry-level guitar players (as are the Fender Mustangs, which are Fender's fastest-selling amp by far). A whole generation has grown up with modeling amps and they're very comfortable with them. But the more expensive (and higher wattage) versions are ALSO the best selling in their classifications. And it isn't kids buying those.

The marketing data suggests that when they upgrade, they do so to other modeling products and/or to computer-based gear of some kind. Tube amps are still an upgrade choice, but they're pretty far down the list. That's just what the data says, not what I make up.

"Mainstream" is what it is. We don't have to be happy about it, nor do we have to slot in, like sheep in a flock. Ford sells more F150 pickups than any other vehicle they make. SUVs and pickups are now the mainstream choice. Automatic transmissions outsell manual transmissions. My personal preference is a small but overpowered coupe with great handling and a five or six-speed. Oh well.

well maybe you wish. marketing data isn't that hard to manipulate. for instance you'll see ads for say a comedy movie trumpeting that it's the #1 comedy in america this week. ok that in itself may be true but what they are leaving out is that it was the only comedy released in the last few weeks and actually came in at say #8 in the box office that week. that movie may well tank at the boxoffice but hey it was #1 according to the advertising.

as for amps seems to me that there are more lower priced tube amps than ever before. now why would that be? if all the "marketing" data suggests that younger players aren't going that route then why make them. us old farts aren't the ones buying those little inexpensive low watt amps from say bugera.

certainly modeling amps have their place and obvious uses. they have done a better job in a shorter period of time to giving tube amps a run for their money than solid state maps of the past. but much like the pickup trucks and SUVs you mentioned the public may find them to be not as great as they thought. both aren't great on gas and have their limitations. i assure you that when me and the mrs go on road trips it isn't in her pickup truck (that she got cuz she wants to be the girl in country songs). there are many times when i'd much rather just plug into my nice basic tube amp directly then spend a bunch of time fvcking around with some menu only to have everything go to shit cuz the battery in my watch died.
Quote by Spambot_2
This argument + the thing about writing equipment reminds me of a story.

That to say, if something works there's no need to fix it.

Now you're arguing here that stuff might work better, and I think you're right on this, but these things you described look pretty good on paper alone, about as much as NPN transistors look better than triodes on paper.

They don't live up to their specs you might say.

So basically you'll be very right when digital stuff will sound good enough.
Until to that point, you're almost only gonna get hate for your radical opinions about the matter

I love my Fisher Space Pens. I also love my No.2 pencils, styluses, pastels, Rotring mechanical multi pens, etc.

Different tools for different tasks. Technology is awesome!

As for the iWatch? They'll sell a bunch, and they'll get improved upon and other tech giants will make copies and eventually, we'll all be like Dick Tracey.

...but it will be many years before I own one. Not because I'm anti-tech (I'm not) or anti-Apple (most of my "computer" tech is made by them), but because it performs no function I need that isn't covered by other tech I already own.

Plus, I don't have anyplace to wear it. I wear jewelry on both wrists- cuffs & bracelets on the right, real watches (currently a Movado) on the left.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 2, 2015,
Page 1 of 3