hi guys, let me start right off the bat!

I have purcharsed myself an electric guitar about 7 years ago (i was 18 back then) it will be now, it was Epiphone SG-Black together with Kustom 35w amp. I have played it very little and dropped it off <stupid youngster mistakes> and then i moved out and left my guitar in my old place.

Now 7 years after it being laid back in the original box and catching dust im willing to pick it up again, the question is, what state it will be in? i know it wasnt touched by anybody literary, and it was just waiting for me to pick it up again.

What kind of damages should i expect from it? i know that one string has been broken but i will swap them for the new ones. Should i take it to the local music store to let them do the checkup or can i do it by myself?

I have no means to see it now as i moved out to the different country i will most likely use some shipping service.

Note im totally newb.

Another note to add. The house it's currently stored is dry, there was never damp problem
Last edited by torvi at Apr 30, 2015,
It should still be in a good state of repair if it's not been moved too much. There might be a little neck warping especially if the strings aren't all of a reasonably similar tension (which may have happened with a snapped string). When you say collecting dust though, is that true or a figure of speech?

If anything, it's more likely (but not certain) to sustain damage being transported unless it's put in a very safe container like a flight case. if it's coming by road it shouldn't be too bad but travel is where you need to be careful.

you could take photos and post them in the electric guitar forum if something is wrong, but just talk to someone who knows a thing or two about electric guitars, they'll tell you if there's something wrong.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
i have asked my sister and dad to do all the neccessary measurments for shipping purposes and also to shot some pics for me as i need to see the state of it. and yes it was literary collecting the dust, was lying in the box on a wardrobe all these years.
in that case, get them to take pics of the side of the neck, from the headstock towards the bridge on both sides. If the fretboard doesn't stay straight, you may have to fiddle with the truss rod but that's something I seriously suggest taking it to a tech to do, I've seen a lot of novices try to adjust the truss rod and completely destroy the guitar neck.

as for travel, get them to wrap it in bubble wrap, until it fits in the container TIGHT, no movement, if there's movement, that means it could get damaged quite easily.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

First of all, nice. Second, It doesn't look like it's fared badly as there appears to be support at either end of the neck and from the photo supplied (could be worse, can still see alright) it looks like it hasn't warped. Third, was the bridge pickup always angled like that? I've not seen that before but I'm not counting it as a fault or damage.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Pastafarian96
Third, was the bridge pickup always angled like that? I've not seen that before but I'm not counting it as a fault or damage.

i dont really remember tbh, i think it was. if not, is it hard to fix or will it influence the sound?