Going for Mastodon type tone. It's a closed back.

Not sure what head I'll be running through it. Considering selling my 6505 and picking up a Jet City with a boost or something so I have a more versatile set up. Originally I was planning on adding a second amp instead of ditching the 6505 but just ran into some financial troubles so yeah won't get too into that

More context: a co-worker of mine is refinishing his Avatar and trying to sell it for 450 but said he'd throw it my way for 400 once its done.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Last edited by BV-95 at Apr 30, 2015,
It is not a great deal, but not a bad deal either.

G12h30 will do mastodon better. SwampThangs are nice if you mix them, but by their-selves they are like K85/100 and too dark with not enough treble or high-end detail.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
It is not a great deal, but not a bad deal either.

G12h30 will do mastodon better. SwampThangs are nice if you mix them, but by their-selves they are like K85/100 and too dark with not enough treble or high-end detail.

So like, 2 Swamp Thangs and 2 G12H30s for example?
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Would you say this shootout is a pretty accurate representation of how the swamp thang sounds compared to other speakers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9_exgI5Esg
Peavey 6505+ 112

Quote by BV-95

More context: a co-worker of mine is refinishing his Avatar and trying to sell it for 450 but said he'd throw it my way for 400 once its done.

What does "refinishing" mean? Is he replacing the tolex or doing something else to it?
Quote by dspellman
What does "refinishing" mean? Is he replacing the tolex or doing something else to it?

He did specifically mention replacing the tolex now that you mention it. I'm not sure if he's doing anything else. I know nothing about cabinet maintenance.
Peavey 6505+ 112

Quote by BV-95
Would you say this shootout is a pretty accurate representation of how the swamp thang sounds compared to other speakers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9_exgI5Esg

I don't have a lot of experience with them, but the ST sounded darker than that clip to me

The private Jack sounded best to me, and it is a G12m25 clone so not a modern metal tone at all
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 30, 2015,
I really like the sound of the governors. I might go with 2 governors and 2 swamp thangs and see if I like that, if not, I can get 2 more govs and sell my 4 swamp thangs
Peavey 6505+ 112

Quote by BV-95
I really like the sound of the governors. I might go with 2 governors and 2 swamp thangs and see if I like that, if not, I can get 2 more govs and sell my 4 swamp thangs

I have always heard the Texas Heat and ST pair nicely
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
In the mix it sounded like the governor and private jack were pretty similar and had the high end that the swamp thang missed; and the texas heat sounded, to me, just as dark.

Guitars only, the private jack was easily my favorite. It sounded like the swamp thang and texas heat had a lot of really bad distortion in the high end.

Ugh. I hate having so many decisions. Now I'm leaning towards the private jack after listening to how the speakers sounded by themselves.
Peavey 6505+ 112

I run Governors and Swamps in my cab and that video sounded nothing like how they sound out of my 6505+. For starters, that governor sounded like it wasnt broken in. Mine have a lot more low end than that, in the form of low mids. The highs are less harsh and they have more midrange grind. It sounded terrible to me in that video.

My swamps have a little more low end thump, and smooth, musical highs. Mids are not as pronounced as the Governors, but I wouldnt call them scooped. The two pair together very nicely.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at May 1, 2015,
Quote by KailM
I run Governors and Swamps in my cab and that video sounded nothing like how they sound out of my 6505+. For starters, that governor sounded like it wasnt broken in. Mine have a lot more low end than that, in the form of low mids. The highs are less harsh and they have more midrange grind. It sounded terrible to me in that video.

My swamps have a little more low end thump, and smooth, musical highs. Mids are not as pronounced as the Governors, I wouldnt call them scooped. The two pair together very nicely.

You got any clips of what your setup sounds like?
Peavey 6505+ 112

that isn't that great of a deal.

i wouldn't pay more than $320 for it i don't think.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by BV-95
You got any clips of what your setup sounds like?

I've currently got a song about 75% done on my DAW, in which I mic'd the Swamps for some tracks and Governors for others. Who knows when I'll have time to get it done...:facepalm

Anyway, I could probably record some riffs onto my loop pedal and A/B the speakers tomorrow morning. It'll be fairly crappy quality (phone recording), but it should give you the idea.

I've got a guitar in D Standard and another in C# Standard/Drop B...any preference?

I can play death, black, and thrash metal. Don't ask me to play djent.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I guess D standard out of those tunings haha.

Anything with a Mastodon/Cloudkicker vibe would be sick
Peavey 6505+ 112

BUT; another deal just popped up at work:

$380 for a Marshall 4x12 1960 with G12-75s that were actually made in England apparently from back in the day. Its cheap because the cab itself its a little beat up.

$550 for a Marshall JCM2000 dual super lead head.

Thoughts on this?
Peavey 6505+ 112

That is closer to a Mastodon rig. The early stuff is all T75. Also used JMP/800 amps, the DSL can do that ok too.
Just check that the DSL was made after 2003.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Are the new DSL100H heads as good as the JCM2000 DSLs? I can find out what year the head is tomorrow.
Peavey 6505+ 112

No, they aren't. The new ones are serviceable but I've gigged with both side by side. The 2000 slays the new one. Both had decent tubes too, not stock ones.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If the JCM2000 was made before 2003 is it a no-go?
Peavey 6505+ 112

Unless the rectifier has been upgraded or you're willing to do it yourself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
How expensive of a fix would that be?

We check to make sure everything works before we buy stuff in; so I'm assuming it is at least functional.
Peavey 6505+ 112

It will work with the smaller rectifier, it will just overheat.
If you can fix it yourself, maybe $5. Maybe $50 to have it done for you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by BV-95
I guess D standard out of those tunings haha.

Anything with a Mastodon/Cloudkicker vibe would be sick

I've never listened to either of those bands. So here's some At the Gates...

This was just a quick few riffs from "Slaughter of the Soul" I recorded with my looper which is limited to 40 seconds, unfortunately. Anyway, I recorded two times -- one with my phone in front of a Governor, and the other with it in front of a Swamp Thang. I tried to hold the phone the same distance and angle for each take, but I may have inadvertently held it closer to the center cone of the Governor, hence the added rasp (though, it is a bit more raspy anyway. Crappy method, I realize, lol. But it it'll give you an alternative picture of what they sound like. Of course, they sound different together...better, naturally. You'll hear that the ST is a bit more mid-scooped and heavier in the low end, while the Governor is more upper-midrange. That's why they work so well together. In person, I still prefer the sound of the Governors.

6505+/Eminence Governor Close-mic'd
6505+/Eminence Swamp Thang Close-mic'd
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood