Hi guys,

Long time 6-string fiddler (20+ years) and did not make the progress I should have in that time. It's only just now starting to click and come together.

I just grabbed myself a Yamaha TBRX304 Bass and am 'feeling it' right away. This could be the start of a beautiful relationship but one real question remains;

How do I do it right this time? How can I avoid ****ing this up?

I can't believe I took so long to 'see' the fretboard the way I am beginning to now. Frankly, I am embarassed by it.

TLDR - Please help me do this right. What foolproof steps will see me progress is an efficient manner this time 'round. How would you do it if you had to go back?

Cheers & Beers

Thanks for your time

Appreciated.
Well; your best bet is to set up a learning course that will have you advancing constantly. Identify your weak points and focus on strengthening them. Try to learn something new each day, and perhaps also learn a new song each week. They key to staying interested is to constantly be moving forward; making progress and taking on new challenges. That keeps the journey interesting, and few people abandon an interesting journey.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
There are two things I would like to add:

1.) Most important is to have a goal you can focus on every single day. It does not matter how this goal looks like. It has to be precise and worth it. That will help you to constantly go forward, take every step needed and be able to come through bad times as well.

2.) Whenever you suffer from standing still in your learning process or you feel bad about your playing, always ask yourself these two questions:
- What is the root cause of this issue I have right now?
- What steps do I have to take to overcome this issue and process a lot faster?
You have understanding of the Pattern Structure of Major and Minor scales amongst the 4 strings.

You have the understanding of Song Structures, compositional structure.

As a Bassist I would be directing you to scales to reinforce independence of the left hand third finger.

That would be supported then by learning some quick tunes in the Pentatonic structure (The Who, My Generation, Come Together) songs in 6ths Boogie style which you find John MacVie doing in Fleetwood mac tunes.

Understanding those fingering structures you would then be ready to combine them both into learning Minor 7th Structure in Red Barchetta or YYZ by Rush.

When you got board with that and find some Major Structure to learn on the left hand, you could move into Foo Fighters and STP for Extension work into the sus9/m2.

That will keep thing interesting.

Don't forget Pick experimentation with all sorts of Guages and Materials. For the Bass this is about Tone and Attack, That is why different pics are used.

Come Together is a good tune to express wit a Pick. I liked most of the Queensryche Empire Album to play on a Green JDunlop with and offset edge attack. It was a terrific grind.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Thanks FG!
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B