For one of my university finals, we got to choose what to do. So I chose to write and play and original Celtic instrumental using piano and keyboards (I tried guitar at first, but it didn't sound as "powerful" as piano/keys).

I recorded it with an iPad.
I know there is a mistake or two, but it's really hard to get it 100% perfect. I did like 12 takes.

Tell me what you think! I love constructive criticism too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9BkBLX5Wxs
lolnope
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
1. wtf is that hair it's awesome
2. doesn't sound all the celtic really. sounds like it'd be in a gritty reboot of Pocahontas or Last of the Mohicans or something.

that was my assessment for the first two minutes and then I saw that is was seven minutes long and gave up so it might get better further in the song but idk.

Cool that you composed it though cause that's more than I can do. Good luck with uni as well
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
1. wtf is that hair it's awesome
2. doesn't sound all the celtic really. sounds like it'd be in a gritty reboot of Pocahontas or Last of the Mohicans or something.

that was my assessment for the first two minutes and then I saw that is was seven minutes long and gave up so it might get better further in the song but idk.

Cool that you composed it though cause that's more than I can do. Good luck with uni as well

haha thanks! I cut it myself a week or two ago.
Yeah that's why I used a panflute, strings, and acoustic guitar on the keyboard to give it that Celticy feel. Thanks
watch out cause you might get Lyme disease
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
There is literally nothing celtic about this

Quote by Eastwinn
aside: how do you all pronounce "celtic"

Hard C is the correct way.

Quote by ultimate-slash
Like I 'sell ticks'

Just the worst
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
There is literally nothing celtic about this

Hard C is the correct way.

Just the worst

May I ask why you think there is no Celtic elements in the song?
Quote by symphonicspeed
May I ask why you think there is no Celtic elements in the song?

Because there aren't any. Sounds like regular old symphonic metal stuff without the rest of the band. The rhythms are all wrong, the melodies aren't very celtic, and you're missing all of the embellishments that celtic music is known for.
Check out my band Disturbed
To be honest, I was a little influenced by Nightwish (they are my favorite band), but I tried to make it Celticy by having the panflute sound, strings, guitar too. Thanks for your input(: And the reason why it doesn't sound too Celtic at times is because I was trying to keep the listener interested with the several motifs and key change (in the guitar part). Playing a simple melody over 3 chords is easy to tune out during a 7 minute song.
Last edited by symphonicspeed at May 2, 2015,