The standard information goes here I guess!

I've been playing three years, and I'm in a band that's starting to gig. We play fairly generic modern rock, and I personally like to stray into a metal tone. I've had an old peavey vypyr 75 (digital modelling amp - circa $300 new) for two years, which served me well while I was learning, but doesn't really have the tonal aptitude to keep up in a band setting, particularly as the other guitarist in the band has a massive, 120-watt tube amp.

I don't really want a massive, 120-watt amp, but I would like something closer to a 20-watt solution, with tubes, that I can get for about $300-500 used. Suggestions including a primarily clean amp coupled with an appropriate distortion pedal are also welcome.

I've been considering:

Blackstar HT-20 studio
Bugera V22 (with a dist pedal)
Laney VC30-112

Thank you very much in advance
I would take an Egnater Rebel or one of the newer Peavey Valvekings over any of those. I saw a Marshall DSL401 combo for $350 the other day, one of those would probably work great for you but they typically sell for a lil more. If you need clean headroom, you might wanna get something bigger (though the DSL401 would be fine).
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Peavey 6505+ combo and replace the speaker with an Eminence Governor or Vintage 30.

I'm replacing mine because its kind of a one trick pony I've found, but when it comes to metal it really can do any style justice.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
ENGL Thunder
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at May 1, 2015,
What amp models on the Vypyr did you enjoy the most?

Are you after a combo strictly or a head and cab?

Without knowing anything else and for your budget I'd suggest a Peavey JSX 212 Combo. You can get them on Guitar Center's Used site for $500-$600. It's 120W but has a volume knob. I'd guess you'd spend most of the time on Channels 1 and 2 but 3 is there for "metal" time.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Lots of choices. Name your three favorite guitarists that you would like to explore their guitar tones, and where you live always matters in terms of price, availability, and line voltage.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
What that ^ guy said

I'd never say a Valveking or a Rebel would beat a Laney VC30, those Laneys sound REALLY great, and I liked the Valveking I had. I think that would be a really nice choice. Good cleans, takes pedals well, it is loud and has enough headroom for big venues, it's overdrive is phenomenal in that league...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at May 1, 2015,
may be a little bit out there, but JSX combo?

or you could look into jet city.

i wouldn't bother with a blackstar, and the bugera doesn't seem to have the tone that you are describing (i could be wrong i haven't played one for a very long time), haven't played the laney, so i can't say.

as it has also been said, you won't be heard well and the sound won't disperse as well as the other guitarist if you are just using a 1x12"
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/