Poll: Singers who smoke. Are they stupid?
Poll Options
View poll results: Singers who smoke. Are they stupid?
Absolutely
24 42%
Yes but singers are anyway, irrespective of smoking
14 25%
No, that's harsh
14 25%
Depends on... (please expand)
5 9%
Voters: 57.
Page 1 of 2
If you were trying to be an Olympic athlete you wouldn't eat at McDonalds everyday.

If you were trying to make a career out of using your voice box to make pleasant sounds you wouldn't drag cancerous tobacco fumes over it everyday. Or would you?
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Can you really compare the vocalist to some no name band I saw last week at the bar to an Olympic athlete?
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
just gonna say that Frank Sinatra smoked virtually his whole life and no doubt a lot of the other crooners did and probably everyone in the 60's and 70's

:shrug:
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
If you're a rock singer smoking is ok because your voice doesn't need to sound good

If you're a singer who actually sings then yes smoking is probably a bad idea
I have nothing important to say
21st century american schizoid man

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
stfu moooooooooooooom I am a man now I can do wut i wunt!
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Anyone who smokes tobacco is pretty stupid. I feel like the only people that smoke tobacco are those who can't smoke weed or can't handle weed cuz their brain can barely handle them self sober.
OP is stupid

jrcsgtpeppers is really fkn stupid
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠

jrcsgtpeppers is really fkn stupid

As if that ever needed pointing out
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
ayyyy lmao
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by The Judist
If you were trying to be an Olympic athlete you wouldn't eat at McDonalds everyday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fourth-place-medal/american-swimmer-gorged-mcdonald-first-post-olympics-meal-150555170--oly.html
there's a difference between being an athlete and being a swimmer
it's all coming back

Ask Les Gray, Elsbeary Hobbs and Mary Wells. They were all well known singers and smokers.

Except you can't because they are all dead from some form or another of throat cancer.

And that doesn't even consider the singers that were smokers and died of lung cancer.

Yeah, smoking, no matter who you are, is stupid.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Baby Joel

Someone has clearly never tried to swim competitively.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
There's some female singer who screams all day before her performances to achieve a raspy sound.

It's someone big but I can't remember her name.

Just saying, some people do things intentionally stupid for the sake of their voice.

Also

>Swimming
>competitive

LOL
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Ace: you are incredibly stupid.

DisarmGoliath: you are treading on thin ice, but your comment wasn't directly related to jcr's post in this thread, so you get let off with a warning for now
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Anyone who smokes tobacco is pretty stupid. I feel like the only people that smoke tobacco are those who can't smoke weed or can't handle weed cuz their brain can barely handle them self sober.

Quote by GameSkate
Nat King Cole was smoking 1-2 packs per day.

Until he died after surgery for lung cancer...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Smoking is stupid regardless of your job, and it's hard to quite regardless of your job as well. It is doubly irresponsible I suppose if you're a singer; a good example is Eddie Vedder, who still has a signature voice but not as powerful. Although, it's hard to tell if that is entirely the fault of smoking or just improper technique.

That scream halfway through Blood
Quote by JackSaints
If you're a rock singer smoking is ok because your voice doesn't need to sound good

If you're a singer who actually sings then yes smoking is probably a bad idea
Quote by Fat Lard
Jokes aside, it is a solid post. I wont vouch for the "brain can barely..." part, but I also will or will not write it off completely.

However,

It really isn't socially acceptable though to smoke weed on your break at work, or while driving, or in a lot of situations people would like to smoke.

The second part of his post is what I was mainly referring to. Typical enlightened stoner bs.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

welcome back cray sam
Last edited by MeTallIcA313 at May 1, 2015,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

ayyyyyyyyyy my man sam :y:
it's all coming back

From a general health standpoint, nobody should smoke. Like obviously it destroys their lungs and puts their throats at risk too.

But if you're arguing that singers shouldn't smoke specifically because of what it does to their voices, well, that answer isn't so clear. Smoke can alter how your voice sounds, and for some people, it's a favorable change, from an auditory standpoint.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

When people tell me not to "ruin things with logic", I have this urge to hit them upside the head and go, "You remember what the **** I do for a living, right?! Never tell a software engineer to avoid logic!"

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
brb, going to take a breather from work. Hanging out with the boys shooting the breeze, keeping the talks real as we always do with our social n accepting it. no bad vibes on the break, keeping it chill n not making the bros anxiety act up by "just standing there" or something lmao, we're too hands-on for that nonsense, cool on the surface but the hands keep busy ya dig? The hands are cold
@Lard

Interesting stuff there. I think another big thing for smokers is not necessarily the nicotine but the actual act of holding the cig and inhaling it.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
I quit about 4 months ago. It's a pretty dumb thing no matter what if you make it a habit and don't recognize it as a bad one for your health, but I don't think someone is stupid if they smoke. In fact, a lot of really smart people were smokers. Einstein was one.

I just think it's dumb to start smoking regularly regardless of what's wrapped in the paper. You'll regret it at some point. Just like everything else, moderation is key.

The singer in the last cover band I played in said he smoked to 'add rasp to his voice'. He didn't last very long. He was a dumb ass.
It's very easy to not really realize how much smoking is affecting your voice. It's also very easy to sing well enough, even though you smoke. But I think that anyone that is serious about singing and smokes, if they could A/B comparison with what their voice could be like without smoking, they would drop smoking in a heartbeat.

It makes a big difference for sure.
Quote by Baby Joel

Good thing swimmers have all that water around to cool that wicked burn
Page 1 of 2