I'm in the market for a new, reasonably priced amp and want to get a metal/deathcore tone. It can be a head, combo, or whatever. Although I'm sure their rigs probably differ greatly, a few examples of bands with tones that I like are:
  • August Burns Red
  • As I Lay Dying
  • Parkway Drive
  • Blind Witness (probably #1 on this list)
  • This or the Apocalypse
  • Caliban
  • Etc.

After doing some research it seems that there are a few obvious choices in this category: EVH 5150 (probably III mini), Peavey 6505+, Carvin V3M, and maybe one or two others.

What would your suggestions here be? Are there any that I've missed or overlooked? And please no hurr durr core sucks, thanks.
You sound like you want a 6505 or 6505+ or possibly 6534+.

Some for of 6505 anyway.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
You sound like you want a 6505 or 6505+ or possibly 6534+.

Some for of 6505 anyway.

That's what I was initially thinking, but a bunch of people on different forums kept claiming other amps had better headroom, tighter clean channels, etc.

And then if I were to go with the 6505, would it be worth it to invest in a head+cab if I'm not gigging or anything?
Other amps may have more headroom and tighter clean channels, but the general consensus imo for modern br00tz is the Peavey 6505. From what I understand, the clean channel on the 6505 is meh but it should be workable.

If you see gigging as a possibility in the future, go ahead and get a head+cab.
A 6505 is definitely the best amp for the price for you. I recommend just getting the 6505+112 combo, I've owned one and I think that it had a great metal tone and completely usable cleans.

If you have the money, an ENGL fireball would definitely do anything you need. But ENGLs aren't cheap.
Quote by ab529235

• August Burns Red
  • As I Lay Dying
  • Parkway Drive
  • Blind Witness (probably #1 on this list)
  • This or the Apocalypse
  • Caliban
  • Etc.

This list has 6505+ written all over it. They don't all use 6505s, but most of them have used them or still use them. Out of the box, that amp will get you right to that tone without any fuss. Just throw a Tubescreamer up front as a boost, make sure you've got V 30s (or clones) for speakers, and you're 99% there.

Those bands probably use other amps/processors for cleans on their albums. Having said that, you can get decent cleans out of a 6505+, you just need to work for them. They're certainly passable cleans at least for live playing, in my book.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by Kevätuhri
A 6505 is definitely the best amp for the price for you. I recommend just getting the 6505+112 combo, I've owned one and I think that it had a great metal tone and completely usable cleans.

If you have the money, an ENGL fireball would definitely do anything you need. But ENGLs aren't cheap.

Yeah for my price range and purposes I was thinking a combo makes the most sense, although some have said there are noticeable differences between the heads and combos in terms of tone.
Quote by KailM
This list has 6505+ written all over it. They don't all use 6505s, but most of them have used them or still use them. Out of the box, that amp will get you right to that tone without any fuss. Just throw a Tubescreamer up front as a boost, make sure you've got V 30s (or clones) for speakers, and you're 99% there.

Those bands probably use other amps/processors for cleans on their albums. Having said that, you can get decent cleans out of a 6505+, you just need to work for them. They're certainly passable cleans at least for live playing, in my book.

You have to be particular about which tube screamer you get too, right? I seem to recall there being numerous models, some newer, some older, and some simulating other vintage ones.
Quote by ab529235
You have to be particular about which tube screamer you get too, right? I seem to recall there being numerous models, some newer, some older, and some simulating other vintage ones.

Not really. Contrary to claims, there's damn little difference between them.

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/tstech/tsxtech.htm
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Not really. Contrary to claims, there's damn little difference between them.

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/tstech/tsxtech.htm

Since I'm no electrical engineer, I'm gonna go ahead and take that article at face value since I understood almost none of it. Pretty cool that anyone with a little soldering experience can essentially buy one and convert it to whichever model they'd like.
Last edited by ab529235 at May 1, 2015,
Quote by ab529235

You use whatever overdrive you want. Max Volume/Level. Min Gain/Drive, or close to it. Tone and other knobs set to whatever you like.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
You use whatever overdrive you want. Max Volume/Level. Min Gain/Drive, or close to it. Tone and other knobs set to whatever you like.

Those are settings for the pedal since the gain will be coming from the amp, right?
Exactly.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
A nice Peavey 5150/6505 would do you well. Get any cab with vintage 30s or greenbacks and you're golden imho.

I personally rock a Peavey Ultra-plus, amazing sleeper amp that can be had for 4-5 hundred on bad days and 3-4 on good ones. I've played it side by side with a friend's 5150 and kind of liked the Ultra-plus more.They pop up on ebay a good deal.

Quote by ab529235
Those are settings for the pedal since the gain will be coming from the amp, right?

With good high gain heads I usually use the amp's heavy channels and stay away from distortion pedals unless I'm going for a very peculiar sound.
Last edited by WilhelmTGFRyan at May 2, 2015,
i would recommend the 6505+ as well. the 5153 is nice (haven't played the 50 watt model), but it doesn't have the same type of br00tz that the peaveys do. i like them both a lot, but the 6505+ does what you are looking for better.

again as its said, tube screamers are all fairly similar, and probably 75%+ of overdrive pedals are tube screamer based (if not more). find something for a good price. if you are stretching your budget, and don't want to spend much on a pedal, i would look into the digitech bad monkey ($40 new). i don't like them quite as much, but hell you can't whine about the price.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Whoops, sorry Wilhelm and trashed, thought this thread had died and didn't check over the weekend.

I appreciate the input everyone, and it seems like the 6505+ is the clear (if not unanimous) consensus. Now just to decide between the head or combo. Hmm....
Yes the 6505 is what you want (at least for the first 3 bands, haven't heard of the rest).

It just depends on how much money you're willing to spend and if you're willing to haul a head/cab to gigs.

If you get the combo you will want to upgrade the speaker to a celestion vintage 30 though.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by ab529235
Whoops, sorry Wilhelm and trashed, thought this thread had died and didn't check over the weekend.

I appreciate the input everyone, and it seems like the 6505+ is the clear (if not unanimous) consensus. Now just to decide between the head or combo. Hmm....
If you're going to be playing unmiced gigs, go ahead and get a head and cab. With home use, the combo would be fine. I think most miced gigs only use one mic for the cab as well. But for recording purposes you might want a cab.
Last edited by Will Lane at May 4, 2015,
I kind of feel like Peavey makes accounts on here from time to time asking this question to see if their amps are still recommended.
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
If you go with the combo you will probably want to mod the effects loop. If in your budget go head and cab.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by AsOneIStand
I kind of feel like Peavey makes accounts on here from time to time asking this question to see if their amps are still recommended.

pretty sure they don't have to. Peavey's are one of if not the most suggested brand on this board.