Hey all,

I have a vintage crate closed back speaker cab (12x2) with stock speakers, I brought it used 2nd hand last year. I believe the speakers are celestions rated @ 30W each, connected to a vox night train (50W) head. And I think the speakers are on their last legs, but it could also be the tubes.

Basically, when I turn the master volume around 12 o'clock, the distortion/fuzz still sounds smooth and not crackly etc, but at times it feels like someone is fiddling with the eq, with the bass sometimes dropping off or coming in hard. Kind of like, pulsating? If that makes any sense. Time for new speakers?

Thoughts?
sounds like it could be poweramp tubes. i haven't ever had a speaker die on me though, so i have no idea, all i know is that its hard to kill a speaker if you are using it under the wattage max and with the right impedence.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Way, way more likely to be dying tubes than speakers. Like Trashed said, sounds like a power tube is going.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
when was the last time you changed your power tubes? start there.

average power tubes, 2x el-34s will probably be 20-30 a tube for solid ones like JJs. so 40-60 bucks. speakers are going to be about 70+ a peice for respectable ones.

and yeah, 60 watts of speakers with a 50 watt amp, not very old, i doubt they are messed up. as stated its really hard to blow speakers.

power tubes on the other hand...blow regularly with regular use. like every 1-2 years depending on the level of play. sometimes many many years. its a darn light bulb dude...does anybody know when its going to go out?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)