I've asked this on TDPRI, but I don't see any harm in asking here as well.

I've been intrigued by this for many years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryRDcE2sB2A

Specifically Mick Taylor's sound, which comes in at 2:00, and solo at 2:50. It sounds like very slow attack to me. Is it in Mick's fingers? The amp? The recording? Something else? I'm wondering if there is a pedal that will emulate it at low volumes. I even built a BYOC Lazy Sprocket for it, but it was nothing like it, and I ended up cannibalizing it for parts.
That's what glass slides sound like. The rest is in his fingers.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
There's no wah on that that I can hear. Keep practicing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i'd check and see what gear mick was using at the time.. kinda sounded to me like he may have had a bit of a boost thing going to get a little more sustain to get that tone. glass slide and lots of skill. pretty sure the Stones were still using Amped SVT amps at that point.
OK, thanks. It still intrigues me, because you don't hear that same slow attack in the other guitar. I tried it again yesterday, getting the notes, and overall tone and feel is no problem that a bit of practice wouldn't fix, but the note attack is something else entirely. Towards the end of that vid they do a more distant shot, and there is no sign of pedals near Mick's feet. OTOH, on another live recording of the same song, 1972 Pittburgh IIRC, he makes very light use of a wah.
Quote by Tony Done
OK, thanks. It still intrigues me, because you don't hear that same slow attack in the other guitar. I tried it again yesterday, getting the notes, and overall tone and feel is no problem that a bit of practice wouldn't fix, but the note attack is something else entirely. Towards the end of that vid they do a more distant shot, and there is no sign of pedals near Mick's feet. OTOH, on another live recording of the same song, 1972 Pittburgh IIRC, he makes very light use of a wah.

maybe you can't see a pedal or maybe it's off stage. he does seem to be getting some breakup so i'd think that he must have something going. keith's guitar sounds pretty clean in comparision.