Today I bought a brand new box sealed peavey vypyr vip 1 from my local guitar center, and It's a great amp, however I'm having some issues. Whenever I switch effects or switch between anything for that matter, it gets loud as **** to the point of ear-piercing screeching. I makes me kinda scared to switch settings, because even when the volume is at 1, it's still too loud. What can I do to help fix this? I've seen videos of people using this amp and they keep the volume at 5 at all times and as they transition they have zero issues. Also, what other things should I know about this amp as a newbie? Thanks.
Different presets of amp models and whatnot may have different amp volume levels by default. Go through all the model presets you intend to use and adjust them all to make sure they're near the same level.

Although, that thing has a master volume knob, which should be independent of the preset/model changes. And it's only a 20-watt solid state amp. If you're getting an "ear-piercing screech", it's almost certainly broken, and you should take it back to GC for a replacement.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
At least with the older Vypyr 30W, the default patches always had the post gain cranked which made the master volume knob very very sensitive and LOUD.

Never used a VIP but that's probably what's going on. Just resave the patches you like with the Post Gain turned down a good bit. The Post Gain setting is there to match volume levels between patches.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
At least with the older Vypyr 30W, the default patches always had the post gain cranked which made the master volume knob very very sensitive and LOUD.

Never used a VIP but that's probably what's going on. Just resave the patches you like with the Post Gain turned down a good bit. The Post Gain setting is there to match volume levels between patches.

+311

You have to save the patches with the post gain turned down. If you switch patches without saving them, they'll revert to stock settings.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
+311

You have to save the patches with the post gain turned down. If you switch patches without saving them, they'll revert to stock settings.

Do you know how to save the patches? Been fooling around with it all day.
I strongly suggest you start here - http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/1192/118345/Vypyr%26reg%3BVIP1 - and scroll down to where it says manual. Then read it cover to cover, at least once. That's the only way you're going go get everything you can out of the amp.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by metalmingee

I've come a bit further with understanding the amp, and I was wondering if you think cranking the post gain down on every preset would make it so I could keep it on the same master volume without it constantly getting extremely loud. As of right now I can't go above 1 volume without it being extremely loud. I tried putting the post gain down on a few presets, and it helped a lot, I was able to comfortably play my music. I'm just worried i'll have the volume up, switch effects then it'll get really loud. Also, do the effects change the volume? Or is it just the amplifier that change the volume, due to them having different presets and the such. Let me know whenever, I'm really interested in hearing whatever you have to say if you're experienced with these amps.
Quote by AlexRussell
I've come a bit further with understanding the amp, and I was wondering if you think cranking the post gain down on every preset would make it so I could keep it on the same master volume without it constantly getting extremely loud.

Yes, that's exactly what the post gain is for. It lets you match the volume between patches. It will be easier once you start creating your own presets.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
I also recently purchased a Vypyr VIP 1. It is a bad ass little amp, for what it is. Nothing I would ever really use to record an album, or play live with, but its applications are awesome. I've been using it to work out harmonies, and as a general writing tool. Hooking it up to a computer is basically like a DI to the computer. I've been farting around with Reaper deciding whether or not I want to buy it, but most of the recordings I've made with it was using Audacity, which is free. I also recommend downloading the free Peavey Vypyr Edit program from the Peavey site. It gives you a nice interface for messing with the settings. I like it because it is a high gain amp (I play in a metal band), but I can still satisfy my urges to play blues and classic rock. Here are some videos of the program in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyrqegA34Ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnjRWMkhEL8
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1