Voters: 34.
So which one would you choose

Line 6 30w
Peavey vypyr 30
Vox vt40+
Roland cube 40xl( my choice)
Roland cube 40gx
Fender mustang 2
I have both a Mustang and a Vypyr, and I think the Vypyr sounds fuller. Just my own opinion.
Check out my band: facebook.com/WeAreDrifterBand
Peavey is best for distortion. Right?
But i think the distortion on the roland is pretty good too.
I have a peavey vypyr 30 and a roland cube 40xl. The jc model on the roland is too good, though peavey nails it in the distortion department.
Vypyr 30, or vypyr tube 60 if you can.

Why do you absolutely want a SS amp tho?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Vypyr 30, or vypyr tube 60 if you can.

Why do you absolutely want a SS amp tho?

Probably wants to play metal, but usually plays at his house and doesn't wanna disturb neighbours
Stop the racism for a fucking second and let's all get to goddam Mars together to shoot us some fucking squid aliens, TOGETHER
Quote by sewoo55
Probably wants to play metal, but usually plays at his house and doesn't wanna disturb neighbours

Exactly
Quote by cyruseternity
Exactly

if you can get the tube 60 then go for it. will sound just fine at lower volumes. i use a 50 watt full tube amp for practice and the neighbors haven't killed me yet. yet...... . don't buy ito the whole tube amps only sound good when cranked to 11 thing. all amps sound better turned up but to sit at home and practice it just isn't needed.
I have owned only tube amps for the last decade but lately I've been practicing through a solid state amp that the other guitarist has. No complains, they can sound pretty good. I can name you some good bands that have used SS, like The Doors, for example. We should start removing that "purist" shit out of our brains and start using our ears and logic instead of saying what everybody else says.

Out of the ones on your list I like the Vypyr and the Cube, but if you go metal get the Vypyr.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at May 3, 2015,
Quote by Perverockstar69
I have owned only tube amps for the last decade and I've been practicing through a solid state amp that the other guitarist has. No complains, they can sound pretty good. I can name you some good bands that have used SS, like The Doors, for example. We should start removing that "purist" shit out of our brains and start using our ears and logic instead of saying what everybody else says.

Out of the ones on your list I like the Vypyr and the Cube, but if you go metal get the Vypyr.

ummm... actually Robbie Krieger didn't use those Acoustic amps to record with. he usually used a Fender Twin (i'm a huge Doors fan). just saying

for practice damn near any amp could work after all it's just practice and having the tone ofthe gods isn't necessary.
I like the Valvetronix and imo it has the best mid-gain tones. They're all way better than my first amp.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
You are confusing the issue, these are modeling amps.

If we're talking solid state, there are only a few on the market now, I'd probably pick Roland Jazz Chorus or one of the Carvin solid state amps.

Out of the ones you listed - Vox.
Quote by diabolical
You are confusing the issue, these are modeling amps.

If we're talking solid state, there are only a few on the market now, I'd probably pick Roland Jazz Chorus or one of the Carvin solid state amps.

Out of the ones you listed - Vox.

Yes, this is absolute truth. The old Yamahas, some Peaveys, like the Bandit, or even some Randalls may work too.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Out of the ones you've listed I've owned the Line 6 spider IV 30, Roland cube 40gx and the Vox Valvtronix VT40+ .

I get bored with amps and trade them in a lot. I started with the Line 6 I actually loved it despite what people say except for when ever you would switch amp model channels (twang to blues, etc.) It always would turn on some effects and that got annoying.

Then got the Vox sounded good. The whole having a tube in it thing got me. The amp models on it are actually pretty decent but I started getting a weird hissing snare drum sound from it.

Currently have the roland cube 40gx annnnnd well let's say I won't have it much longer hopefully. it sounds very muddy and way to much bass must be the closed cab.

The different models in the lead channel are crap everything from the acoustic Sim to extreme. The Dyna amp is cool but you can only have so much fun with that. The delay and reverb on its aren't bad IMO tho.

Was expecting more from it since apparently roland and boss are the same companies or something like thatthat and had heard good things about boss pedals (never used them) so I thought the cube would be good but I was wrong. I hope the pedals are better then this thing.

I've heard the mustangs are good and the peavey vypyrs are good if I had to choose again I would either go back to the Line 6 or try a peavey vypyr out.

I wouldn't buy a fender amp not that they're not good amps but its something about plugging my Gibson into a Fender I feel like the rock gods will smite me or something.

I'm an old fashioned Gibson-Marshall guy
get a Peavey Bandit
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Yep, used Peavey Bandit is cheap as piss.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Got one and can confirm it's really decent, and if you find a used one in good shape, the price/quality ratio is absurd. It doesn't sound super-high-end of course and doesn't make rainbows, but it's really versatile and probably one of the best in its price range by far.

(on a different note, this thread got a bit resurrected though)
Personal preference, I like the Roland and Vox. They tend to be better for vintage and classic rock tones. The Vypyr tends to be better for heavy stuff. It really depends on the music you play.

Best low cost amp for the. $? Personally I like the Fender SCXD. It sounds better than any of the others to my ears.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 29, 2015,
The poll sucks... no Ampegs? Randall Warhead?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
The poll sucks... no Ampegs? Randall Warhead?

I'm guessing he needs a practice amp(I practice on a Randall RG1503H)
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Neither of these, peavey Bandit smokes them all!!
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
for modeling amps, i would recommend the vox overall. but IMO the vypyr does high gain better.

for solid state amps, bandits aren't bad, ampeg has some good ones. old Sunn's are awsome, kustom had some nice ones, etc.

why don't you want tubes?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
VH-140C

Why has this thread been resurrected?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by USMC_0352_Vet

Then got the Vox sounded good. The whole having a tube in it thing got me. The amp models on it are actually pretty decent but I started getting a weird hissing snare drum sound from it...

why did the having a t00b get to you? WTF? i don't even think it does much. i have only heard of maybe one tube failure on a valvetronix in the last few years here. some people change them for tone, but from what i have heard it doesn't do a whole lot.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
peavey vypyr tube 60 is the best amp for the money period. but a vypyr 30 used for $100 or less is a decent deal. or you can use amplitube 3 for free
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A