Poll: Which Guitar
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Guitar
Ibanez RG970WQMZ-BDK
4 50%
Schecter Hellraiser Extreme C-1 FR
5 63%
Voters: 8.
Hello, as the title says I'm unsure on which guitar to get, either the Schecter Hellraiser Extreme C-1 FR in Sunburst or the Ibanez RG970WQMZ-BDK, both are the same price right now although the Schecter is reduced from £1030 and is now £750. Both Guitars look great but I can't decide on it at all!
Here's a picture of both:
Ibanez
http://www.my3oboz.ru/images/goods/102468_0.jpg

Schecter
http://www.peerlesscustomguitar.com/images/201401/goods_img/258_P_1390057664588.jpg
I would buy the Ibanez, but only because I hate the "Hellraiser" name. The Extreme's are some of the most beautiful guitars on this planet though.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Despite having a schecter (big fan of my blackjack) and not usually liking Ibanez guitars loads - I prefer the look of the ibanez for some reason. And because i don't have an Ibanez I'd probably go for that
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I would strongly advise against spending this amount of money on any guitar without trying them in person.

It has been my experience that you are more likely to suffer from a case of "I should have bought the other guitar" when you don't try both.
"We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so." - BB King

"The thrill is being able to do it...even if you play it badly" - The Edge.

8 Guitars, 4 Amps, 3 Multi Pedals...and never done!
Quote by ppiluk
I would strongly advise against spending this amount of money on any guitar without trying them in person.

It has been my experience that you are more likely to suffer from a case of "I should have bought the other guitar" when you don't try both.

The truth.

I'd just like to add that I think they should be relatively similar in many ways, but there's two main differences:
- pickups - the Ibanez has passives, with a single coil in the middle, the Schecter has active EMGs which are known to be fairly divisive (some people love them, some hate them)
- neck - Ibanez RGs are known for absurdly thin necks, Schecters are rounded and slightly thicker.

So basically, try both and see what you like more, unless you have strong preferences either way in the above two aspects. (I generally like Schecters a lot, but in this case I think I'd pick the Ibanez for more tonal versatility.)
Get the Schecter, it is higher quality and the better sounding of the two.
I went for the Ibanez in the end because I'm used to playing on thinner necks and I needed versatility so based off of those facts and plus loving the finish on the Ibanez I went for it over the schecter. Thank you everyone for your help
If there's a chance that you'll sell it and upgrade your rig, get the Ibanez. For some reason, used Schecters just don't get the respect that any other guitars do!
Quote by chmoliver
If there's a chance that you'll sell it and upgrade your rig, get the Ibanez. For some reason, used Schecters just don't get the respect that any other guitars do!

Which really is a crying shame, because they're consistently just as well made, if not better, than anything in similar price ranges from the other popular hard rock/metal scene companies (Jackson, ibanez, esp/ltd, bc rich, etc.). They use good hardware and pickups, and have some gorgeous finishes, too. And the quality control is absolutely the best of any brand importing from Asia.

There are obviously plenty of people who have actually tried them, and just don't like the neck shapes, the body contours, or even just the mojo they get from them. But I honestly believe, based on years of talking to customers about them, and playing my Schecters with other musicians, that there are tons of people who just don't give them the time of day because the brand is associated with bands they vehemently despise, based mostly on image. I seriously couldn't even count how many customers I've had in my store who respond with something along the lines of "dude, Schecters are gay, those fags in (avenged sevenfold, black veil brides, in this moment, etc.) play them" when I recommend one. And in almost every one of those cases, I convince the guy to try one, and he's immediately blown away.

But whatever. If that means I can regularly find used Schecters worth $800+ for less than $500, just because they're not being bought by the kids who are worried their friends will call them gay if they don't get a jackson or ibanez, I'll take it.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Last edited by the_bi99man at May 10, 2015,
^ yeah, I've been getting a similar idea to what you said, glad to hear someone with plenty of experience confirm it.

Also, seriously, Jeff Loomis and Keith Merrow play them, how much more badass can it get?