Hi there!
After some hours researching, I've decided to come here and ask people who could have played these two little beasts (Marshall MG102CFX and Fender Mustang IV v2)and tell me what they think.

I'm looking for a new amp because I already upgraded my main guitar from my first one, which was a Harley Benton. That one came with a HB-40R, a solid state combo amp with 40W of power (and a bad sound quality), and that's not enough for me anymore.

One year ago I bought a Schecter Damien Elite Avenger and that's pretty great. I love it. And I think it's time for a new amp.

I was thinking on that two ones, but I'm open to another ones.
Keys:
-Around 350€ is the best, and I can afford a 430€ one if that makes sense.
-I live in Córdoba, Spain, for the used amps stuff. I can cover Huelva-Sevilla and Córdoba cities if relevant.
-I play mainly metal, so Avenged Sevenfold, Epica, Nightwish, Five Finger Death Punch, Trivium and Rammstein can help you to help me.
-It will be for home practice and small gigging with my drummer friend.

Thank you in advance
Last edited by Kinnonii at May 3, 2015,
the Mustang between the 2 but what you really want is a Peavey Vypyr series if you are playing metal. the Marshall is just plain bad and honestly while better the fender isn't great for high gain tones.
^ what he said.

Get a vypyr tube 60.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Hum... I will take a look.
Will its 60W of power be enough for me? I cannot hear me with 40W eveng right to my amp at full power if my friend is playing the drums approx. 10 meters far.

EDIT: Gave it a look at Peavey's website and they are discontinued. Any other choice? :/
Power has very little to do with an amp's final volume.
Also guitar power amp ratings are made up.

Yes a vypyr tube 60 will be loud enough for that and some, and yes they are discontinued but definitely get a used one, it's worth it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Okay thank you so much! Should I take it with a heavy distortion pedal or the amp it self has a hi-gain effect that is enough? I believe the pedal is the best option
If anyone knows about another one, please feel free to contribute if I cannot find that used Vypyr.
Quote by Kinnonii
Okay thank you so much! Should I take it with a heavy distortion pedal or the amp it self has a hi-gain effect that is enough? I believe the pedal is the best option
If anyone knows about another one, please feel free to contribute if I cannot find that used Vypyr.

Using a distortion pedal on an amp like a Peavey Vypyr is really counterproductive. People on here like the Vypyr because its 6505 model is better as a high gain tone than pretty much any other modelling amp in that price range.

Distortion pedals only make sense situationally at best imo, and the vast majority of them sound like shit unless you spend hundreds of dollars and you're using a clean tube amp with lots of headroom and a big cabinet.

A lot of newbie guitar players buy cheap distortion pedals for their Line 6 Spider (or other cheap modelling amp), thinking it'll magically transform the amp into a Duel Rectifier. It never does. In the vast majority of situations, just getting a better amp is a much better option.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 3, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Using a distortion pedal on an amp like a Peavey Vypyr is really counterproductive. People on here like the Vypyr because its 6505 model is better as a high gain tone than pretty much any other modelling amp in that price range.

Distortion pedals only make sense situationally at best imo, and the vast majority of them sound like shit unless you spend hundreds of dollars and you're using a clean tube amp with lots of headroom and a big cabinet.

A lot of newbie guitar players buy cheap distortion pedals for their Line 6 Spider (or other cheap modelling amp), thinking it'll magically transform the amp into a Duel Rectifier. It never does. In the vast majority of situations, just getting a better amp is a much better option.

for high gain distortion sounds i've pretty much found that you need to avoid most distortion pedals. back in the day i did run them but that's not the same as the gain used in metal these days (i also used a 100 watt tube amp). natural tube amp distortion is better than 99% of the pedals out there. now of course you are talking about using a modeling amp which isn't the same but still in many cases works better.

you may seriously want to think about looking into a tube amp of sorts. in europe Jet City seems to be pretty popular and affordable. even something like a 30 watt tube amp wll bury the amp you have now (and yes i know you said 40 watts for it but believe me there is a difference).
^ I was just going to say jet city might be worth considering. you might have to up your budget a little, though (unless you're willing to wait for the 50 watt 1x12 combo to come back into stock, it seems to be out of stock most of the time at thomann).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Might want to look up a few used amps, mainly Marshall DSL line, 40C maybe, also Laney but I am not sure if that price range will do well. Orange Dark Terror as well but the price is higher. The Vypyr and Jet City are decent for what has been suggested.
Okay, so a High Gain tube amp is my best option as tube distortion produces the sound I desire. i will check jet city as well as used amps, maybe I find a Dark Terror Thank you everyone.
Yay! Fresh news. I found an used Vypyr 60 tube in my city for 220€, and a 120w tube with the sampera 2 for 300€ plus shipping. What do you think?

Edit: Also found a Vypyr 120W tube head with a Marshall MG412ACF cabinet for 450€, is it worth?
Sanpera is almost necessary to get most use of some of the built-in effects like Wah. Is the 120W a head or a combo? If its a head alone then remember that you need a cab too. Harley Benton G212 Vintage from Thomann is the best bang for buck for Europeans. Plywood construction and Celestion V30 speakers for cheap.

*edit* Oh, saw the edit. No the MG cab is not good. MDF construction, while not bad material for speaker cabs, is heavy as ****. And the speakers are shit. A good 2x12 is way preferable to bad 4x12, even though it doesnt look as menacing. Easier to carry and transport too.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at May 3, 2015,
Quote by MaaZeus
Sanpera is almost necessary to get most use of some of the built-in effects like Wah. Is the 120W a head or a combo?

This one is a combo
Quote by Kinnonii
This one is a combo

Then I would go and grab it. Its a ready package for anything you need. Only downside is that your back will kill you, 2x12 combo is really heavy.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Thank you, I really like it. I hope it still is for sale when I have the money
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

There are a few distortion pedals that love clean amps, but I'm sure you know about them c:
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I know a person who just moved out of that mindset, very accurate.

Kinnonii, let us know how you enjoy your 120W Vypyr tube c:
Quote by Kinnonii
Thank you, I really like it. I hope it still is for sale when I have the money

I hope so too as that's a good price for an excellent amp. You will be able to override your drummer pretty much at will...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Fresh news... Got the money... and the 120W tube + Sanpera II was sold.
Found a 6505+112 but it gets out of my bucket.
Any alternative? Jet City sounds good. Any recommended model?
^ the 50 watt head combined with the harley benton g212 vintage are probably the thing if you can stretch to it. that's a fair bit over your budget, though (~550 euros, plus you need a speaker cable which is around 10-15 euros for a decent one)- the 50 watt 1x12 combo will be closer to your budget, but it's hardly ever in stock.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ the 50 watt head combined with the harley benton g212 vintage are probably the thing if you can stretch to it. that's a fair bit over your budget, though (~550 euros, plus you need a speaker cable which is around 10-15 euros for a decent one)- the 50 watt 1x12 combo will be closer to your budget, but it's hardly ever in stock.

I can't afford that, sorry.