Hi guys.

I just started learning Under The Bridge by RHCP (obviously, lol) and I've seen Frusciante play major bar chords differently than the regular way. I know this technique comes from Hendrix but that's another story. I want to learn and master it but I have trouble barring the first two, or three (he sometimes bars the first three) strings. I don't get clear sounds, and sometimes I get no sound at all. I feel comfortable without barring, but then the High E doesn't ring at all and there are parts in the song that require it to ring. And there are some parts where you just don't need it to ring so it's too hard to mute the strings with the regular major bar chord shape. I heard that people with small hands can have difficulties being able to do it correctly. If anyone could give me some tips, I'd really appreciate it.

Here's a video of him performing and teaching the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILvNcif_f3E

Thanks for your time!
if you can play it the regular way than just do it. that technique really does requier longer fingers to really work well. i have short fingers and i feel your pain on this (big hendrix fan). if you can get away with playing partial chords then that helps as well.
Yeah, I can play it the regular way, but I really want to learn this one. In another video he talks about the advantages of this technique and I think it can be pretty useful to me in the future, since I'm a big blues, funk and jazz fan. Too bad my hands are really small.
Quote by Einexy
Yeah, I can play it the regular way, but I really want to learn this one. In another video he talks about the advantages of this technique and I think it can be pretty useful to me in the future, since I'm a big blues, funk and jazz fan. Too bad my hands are really small.

belive me i unddrstand but sometimes physical limitations get in the way. i found that anything more than wrapping thumb over low E was just uncomfortable and counter productive. may not be for you though. guess what i'm saying is that the advatages may be outweighed by other issues caused by doing it. i'm a big blues fan and as i mentioned Hendrix but his hands were freakin huge and i just can't do some of the thngs he did. have to live with that and just find other ways that work for me. i can't do some fo the stretches that say Al DiMiola does either it just plain hurts to try.
Quote by monwobobbo
belive me i unddrstand but sometimes physical limitations get in the way. i found that anything more than wrapping thumb over low E was just uncomfortable and counter productive. may not be for you though. guess what i'm saying is that the advatages may be outweighed by other issues caused by doing it. i'm a big blues fan and as i mentioned Hendrix but his hands were freakin huge and i just can't do some of the thngs he did. have to live with that and just find other ways that work for me. i can't do some fo the stretches that say Al DiMiola does either it just plain hurts to try.

Well, I can manage to get a clear sound out of every string, but in order to do that I have to change the position of my hand. It feels so awkward and my hand hurts a little if I push hard to bar the strings. I don't believe I can switch chords in that position. The main thing is, can I actually achieve this technique if I can manage to get the strings ringing, even if it feels awkward and my hands position is extremely bizzare (to me at least)? I could upload a video or pictures to show you.
Quote by Einexy
Well, I can manage to get a clear sound out of every string, but in order to do that I have to change the position of my hand. It feels so awkward and my hand hurts a little if I push hard to bar the strings. I don't believe I can switch chords in that position. The main thing is, can I actually achieve this technique if I can manage to get the strings ringing, even if it feels awkward and my hands position is extremely bizzare (to me at least)? I could upload a video or pictures to show you.

well with some practice i imagine you could. whether it will be comfortable or not is another story. if you have to force it then it may not be worth doing. part of the point of doing that is to use a different hand position so keep that in mind. it should make doing little bends and fills easier while also being able to go badk to the chords with a minimal change of the hand position. also keep in mind that a guy like hendrix had very long fingers and didn't have to shift much when doing this if at all.
Some people just are'nt meant to play it like that(me included).I kind of cheat.I finger the chords the same but often leave the low E out or change my hand position to hit that root note.