I Signed up for a advanced guitar class fro next semester, and just realized all the material is presented in sheet music. I can play at the level as the others in the class, but most of them come from a Jazz or Piano background, whereas im more of a Bluesy rock guy, so I never really got around to this side of music.

I know my notes in the bass and treble clefts, but I usually have to use the little sayings and count up from the bottom; I understand time signatures and note duration; and i understand the basics of how music is devided into bars, measures, ect... .

does anyone have any resources that'd help me? is it possible to get a decent grasp on this stuff in 4 months?

Resources that are more guitar oriented would be preferred.

in hindsight, it was pretty dumb to think a class like this wouldn't have written music but

--
B
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Last edited by boblittle at May 3, 2015,
Yeah 4 months is plenty of time to get decent at reading. Just do it a lot. That's really the only way. Buy some book with a bunch of reading exercises in it and off you go. Which book doesn't matter, I'm sure there's a sightreading for dummies or some shit like that out there that would be fine.
Install note teaching app on your phone and use it for 30 minutes per day. 1-2 weeks and you will be notably better at reading music sheets.

And of course play a lot from music sheets.
I've recently bought 2 small books with Francisco Tarrega guitar pieces for like $2 and I'm playing from them. I found that it's easier for me to memorize songs from sheet than from tab.
Last edited by GameSkate at May 3, 2015,
I was in the same boat as you last year, i auditioned for a series of gigs and got in purely on my playing, but then i found out there was a lot of sight reading to be done and i had to get my reading chops up until then.

There are three apps that i use daily to improve/maintain reading skills. Tenuto (which is musictheory.nets app, so you can go on that site as well and find these exercises) for note recognition, learning to quickly recognize notes and key signatures on different clefs. ReadRhythm for rhythm recognition. And then SightReadingMachine for pure sight reading, it generates random measures of music for you to read and counts you in.

With the help of those three apps i have become a pretty good reader and can read most stuff that is getting thrown at me, unless it is at a high tempo.
So just doing note identifying exercises will help with my sight reading?
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
No that's a waste of time. You need to read music to get good at reading music. Identifying notes is pointless if you can already name the notes. Maybe a bit at the start but then spend your time actually reading.
^ Go buy a flute or clarinet book and read through the entire thing.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by boblittle
So just doing note identifying exercises will help with my sight reading?

I think what MrDjango and GameSkate meant was more on the line of using them to help you progress the individual aspects of your reading, which comes in two fold: a) Notes b) Rhythm. Which is what Tenuto and ReadRhythm that MrDjango recommended does.

To get better at sight reading though, you have to practice sight reading. My advice on that is to pick up as Jet mentioned, flute/clarinet/violin books and start reading through those. The SightReadingMachine app rather good for sight reading practice as well, since it is highly customization, but nothing beats reading actual musical examples.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Yeah 4 months is plenty of time to get decent at reading. Just do it a lot. That's really the only way. Buy some book with a bunch of reading exercises in it and off you go. Which book doesn't matter, I'm sure there's a sightreading for dummies or some shit like that out there that would be fine.

It's totally not. You need many years to get good at sight reading.
I'm sure that it is plenty of time for them to prepare for the class.
Also Elintasokas, the standard for "great" guitar reading is MUCH lower than that for piano reading.

So yeah, 4 months is plenty.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
sight reading piano is fun

especially with 20th crazies

cause you have no idea which note gets the double sharp, and which gets a flat, because everything has accidentals everywhere. and the right hand is two quintuplets a measure. The left hand is some other number that I can't think of, but like tirplets or something in the left hand. So you have literally zero notes that line up, and you don't have a clue if you're playing it wrong

it's fun
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me