Howdy everyone-

I have a '65 Bandmaster, and I absolutely love it. But, I played a gig this weekend and the backlined amp was a Twin. I forgot how great they sound...man! Unfortunately, the weight is still an issue. The Bandmaster is awesome, but it starts compressing too quickly for my taste when I'm going for a clean, clean sound. When I'm going for the edge of breakup thing I love it. But, I'm also trying to find a way to get the tone of a Twin but without the weight. Here are my options:

1) Used Fender Showman head - essentially a Twin without reverb and no mid control on the normal channel. I could probably score one for about $700 if I'm patient.

2) Swap the stock OT in the Bandmaster for bigger one. I'm hoping this could get me closer to the Twin sound when I want it. I have a Hot Plate which would allow me to go the breakup route if I so choose. I'd probably also add a mid pot in the ext. speaker jack. Both of these "mods" are not permanent. This is the cheapest option, but I'm just not sure if the beefier OT would be enough. All 3 amps (Twin, Showman, and Bandmaster) are AB763 circuits.

3) Buy a Twin and put the chassis in a head cab. This is the most expensive option, and would be heavier than the Bandmaster or Showman. I'd prefer not to use this one but in the case that everyone says "Only a Twin sounds like a Twin", I'll consider it.

So, thoughts? I'm using a Subdecay Super Spring Theory for reverb, so I'm thinking I can ditch the reverb tank. My cab is a custom cab with 12" and 10" speakers (Weber 12F150 and 10F150). Anyway, I know I'll only get so close, but the main question is whether or not it's worth the extra money to buy the Showman vs "modding" the Bandmaster. Since the circuits are so similar, I'm hoping I can kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks for the help!
Ben
Are you aware of the "Dual Showman Reverb"? Not entirely sure but it seems to be your Showman plus the missing mid control and reverb.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at May 4, 2015,
I had a Twin in the 70's. It may have been the best all around amp I ever had though you are right, it was heavy. I should have never traded it but I was chasing the "amp of the moment" thing and traded it on a then popular (for two minutes) Peavey Mace. Nothing wrong with the Mace but it wasn't as good as the Twin. If you can locate a good used Showman or better yet a Dual Showman, go for it. Great amps.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
i have played bandmasters, showman and twins. i found the showman not to be very twin like. actually i am quite surprised how different the deluxe, deluxe reverb, bandmaster, twin and showman sound considering (as you mentioned) they are all ab763 circuits.

it sounds like you may be stuck with going for a twin if you are really set on that sound.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Maybe try lower gain preamp tubes?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
If you want a Twin, buy a Twin. Just use it as a combo and if it's too heavy buy a good trolley/dolly/handcart.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by gumbilicious
i have played bandmasters, showman and twins. i found the showman not to be very twin like. actually i am quite surprised how different the deluxe, deluxe reverb, bandmaster, twin and showman sound considering (as you mentioned) they are all ab763 circuits.

it sounds like you may be stuck with going for a twin if you are really set on that sound.

This is what I was afraid of...I wonder if it really has so much to do with the reverb recovery stage that I'm reading about. That's the only reason I could see that they'd sound so different.

Thanks for the input, everyone!
Ben