Hey guys!
I've been singing for around and about 1 and a half year, and imo it's going great. I'm doing scales and exercises everyday, and I sing for around an hour everyday. Is that how you become better and better at singing? By just keep on doing it everyday?
well, yes and no. The only sure way to get better is to get a good teacher. If you just do scales and sing, sure, you will get better at what you are doing, but you may be doing it wrong. And getting better at doing it wrong (if that makes sense) is a good way to get hurt.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
well, yes and no. The only sure way to get better is to get a good teacher. If you just do scales and sing, sure, you will get better at what you are doing, but you may be doing it wrong. And getting better at doing it wrong (if that makes sense) is a good way to get hurt.

Wrong wrong and wrong. Teachers can be just like anyone else, who knows how they learned what they learned. Who knows what THEY know? They could teach you all wrong for your voice type and I've read plenty on that to know that.

How to get better? Keep practicing properly, find things that work and things that you want to work on. You want to sing songs not just scales. Work on those little voice subtleties that make you stand out.

A teacher could help but you've got to find one who's qualified and not just charging like it.
My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Flashback Delay, Digitech RP1000
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Marshall 1960a W/ Eminence Governors and Patriot Red White Blues
Quote by Xerosnake90
Wrong wrong and wrong. Teachers can be just like anyone else, who knows how they learned what they learned. Who knows what THEY know? They could teach you all wrong for your voice type and I've read plenty on that to know that.

How to get better? Keep practicing properly, find things that work and things that you want to work on. You want to sing songs not just scales. Work on those little voice subtleties that make you stand out.

A teacher could help but you've got to find one who's qualified and not just charging like it.

Notice that i wrote "a good teacher". Preferably one with formal education. My vocal teacher graduated musical university, and had a background in professional opera as well as musical theater. I like to think she was quite good, and the money i paid for it was well worth it.

Also, there is no different ways to sing for different voice types. A baritone singer uses the same technique as a soprano. Different tecniques only come into play when you move into more extreme vocals territories like screaming and grit.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
What do you want to do with your singing? Are you trying to sing with a band? A choir? Just a solo project? What direction do you want to go? I think it is great that you have been working on scales and exercises and that you do it everyday. I find that when I am practicing everyday my voice works better when I need to perform. Especially if I am singing a 4 hour set. You may want to make sure to continue to research proper vocal techniques to make sure you are breathing correctly and not hurting your vocal chords. It is very important if you wish to continue to singing! Taking lessons from someone is always something I would recommend. You can buy lessons online, but nothing replaces someone watching and listening who corrects you immediately before you learn bad habits. I was very lucky my parents notice my love for singing at a young age. I took vocal lessons from age 5-18. My Mom wishes I would be an opera singer or something to that effect but now I am singing Metal. The direction you want to go makes a difference as far as what you need to do to get better and if you know what you are trying to achieve you will get there faster. You will want to find some people who are doing what you want to do and ask them for advice. They can tell you exactly what they did to improve and provide better direction for you.