Page 1 of 2
Title says it all.

It took 4.5 years at 2 different schools, but I'm done. Time to work until I die, but until then, I'll be fielding questions.

If you ever wanted to know anything about music at a college level, UVM, Berklee, etc, but were too scared of getting flamed to ask, now's the time.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Congratulations! What kind of work will you be doing (or want to be doing) now?
I was just offered a gig teaching at a private music school, so that takes what I'm doing now and expands it into a rich white neighborhood

I'll also be taking as many opportunities to play guitar as a hired gun in bands as possible.

I'm also planning on expand more into doing composing/arranging/production for money too, but that takes a while.

That, and I'll be resurrecting my band, now that we have a bassist.

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Is mayonnaise an instrument?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
No, and neither is horseradish.

It's good that you know that since I hear you're playing the cash register these days.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Congrats dude! Good luck with everything.

Are you happy/excited?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
what are you thoughts about ethics in gaming culture?
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Actually I do have a question.

Approximately what percentage of Berklee students play gigs outside of course requirements/off campus?
Of that percentage that play non Jazz or Classical gigs?
Soundcloud
@Kristen: Girl, I ain't playing no cash register. I be teaching them lil kids.

@Alan: Yes, I am extremely pumped. I'm looking forward to the next segment of the journey.

@Duane: Not at all, but that's because I know how to apply them as well as not become a slave to them. I just practiced all my Dorian #11 scales so maybe I'm biased.

@BabyJoel: Rules are rules, and sportsmanship is sportsmanship. But in an all out contest, there is only the living and the dead, the winners and losers.

@Alan2:

The short answer is about half of the American kids. So 30%.

The reason for that is that the international kids can't gig because if they get paid, immigration will kick their asses back to wherever they came from. So bye 30%.

About a half of the remaining 60% are there for things like music business, music therapy, and production/composing, so they don't really gig.

That leaves about a third. Out of that, I'd say its about a 40/60 split between classical/jazz and the pop/rock crowd, but I dunno who's getting more work.

So assuming, the opportunities for classical/jazz vs pop are equal in number, 12% of us are gigging regularly in a classical or jazz manner.

Teaching them modes? Or teaching them to stay in school?
@Kirsten: Both DUH

@James:

Getting into the school? Not that bad.

Maxing out your guitar levels? Pretty damn tough.

Do you like BTBAM? I heard that Berklee students love pseudo prog like that.
Nah, the big thing now is neo-soul/jazz/funk.

Basically everyone here wants to rip off Snarky Puppy.

BTBAM's alright, dunno if I'd call it pseudo prog as much as "faux-genre hopping death metal"

It's not like prog prog, anyway. Different ethos I guess.

Quote by Jet Penguin
Basically everyone here wants to rip off Snarky Puppy

Yeah that's going down in Aussie institutions now too. Pretty amusing.
Soundcloud
Congrats. Time for graduation....

......at BU

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Congratulations Jet!

What were some of the most important discoveries you made in school that you didn't have a clue about before attending? Could be in any aspect of music (business, education, networking, playing etc)

Also, what words of wisdom would you give as someone who has just graduated to the new students getting into music school to make the most out of their coming years of studying.

Basically everyone here wants to rip off Snarky Puppy.

Also, can confirm this is the case in Scandinavia as well.
Last edited by MrDjango at May 5, 2015,
Quote by Jet Penguin
Title says it all.

It took 4.5 years at 2 different schools, but I'm done. Time to work until I die, but until then, I'll be fielding questions.

If you ever wanted to know anything about music at a college level, UVM, Berklee, etc, but were too scared of getting flamed to ask, now's the time.

Hi Jet,

Congratulations on that. That's great.

cheers, Jerry
wow that was a pretty good answer jet. nice one

alsp congrats on all the things :y:
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
>BTBAM
>death metal

Next are you gonna say that Bob Dylan is country or something?
No, I'm gonna say that Dylan's American roots/folk revival.

@Superkid:

I thought the education in general was great and really helped me prepare to enter the industry as a professional. I know I've voiced my gripes with some Berklee things on here before, and they aren't perfect, trust me, but I think that if you don't pigeonhole yourself and continue to explore and grow as an artist, instead of just doing the bare minimum to get by, those things won't become an issue, if that makes any sense.

The faculty is absolutely top notch. Any teacher who I would have complained about being a real jerk is only a jerk in the sense that a stereotypical kung fu master is a jerk. If they are hard on you its because they see the potential there and have no problem giving you a little push to take it to the next level.

My conducting professor once stopped me and told me to start over after "blowing it" because my FEET were too far apart at one point. But needless to say, I got damn good at conducting by the end of the semester, and he asked me for a resume. The faculty are all also very active in the pro scene themselves; I've had plenty of classes cancelled due to a last minute gig on Portugal or something, so they are literally in the thick of it and happy to share what they know and talk music. Which is great.

I was a Professional Music major, which is basically the equivalent of choose-your-own-adventure. I wound up splitting my time between jazz performance and classical composition, so needless to say it was pretty challenging.

Berklee sort of has a required curriculum between all majors, in addition to required classes for each major. You need to take:

4 semesters of pop/rock/jazz theory and harmony
4 semesters of ear training and sight singing
2 semesters of conducting (yes conducting)
2 semesters of classical composition
1 semester of counterpoint
1 semester of arranging
1 semester of music technology

Now, you can test out of alot of these. I managed to skip 3 semesters of harmony, 2 of ear training, 1 of classical comp, and music technology.

The Pro Music major also has some business and legal courses you can take, so I swallowed that up.

Now after these are done, you can continue in whatever direction you want; that's only the foundation. I spent alot of time in jazz labs (and ensembles) and classical comp courses/directed studies and it definitely pushed me to another level. I think many students (cough cough the rock crowd) stop after doing the bare minimum and it cripples them in the long run.

@MrDjango

Well obviously the obligatory, "my playing and writing went through the damn roof"

But I also made some important discoveries:

1. I REALLY like teaching and writing. I went in to music school convinced I was gonna only do performance, and now, performing is just another part of the job for me.

2. I learned a ton about the music business and the legality of things and how it works. I'm not saying it's a perfect system (God knows it's not) but we aren't being screwed over as badly as one would think. You can make it work. The problem is most people don't know how to make the business system work for them, and just go along for the ride. They're the ones who get into all these sticky situations you hear about.

3. As far as networking goes, It's really a numbers game, and you REALLY have to get out there and intelligently promote yourself and expect to get rejected all the time. But sometimes you won't. It's basically like dating. But you just need to get out and talk to people and get out there professionally. Just throwing the occasional youtube vid up is not enough.

Some sage advice for those entering or still in? Hmmm.....Let me try and improvise 10 commandments....

1. You want to be pro? Then be pro. Dress nice, be on time, etc. Make it obvious you take your 'job' very seriously.

2. Judge things on what they are, not what they aren't. (The 'what is art' thread kids should read this one) Music is music, and you are doing yourself a disservice by denying yourself a piece of the pie. Try to listen to and enjoy everything, there aren't any genres that are 100% crap. It will only make you better.

3. Surround yourself by people who are better at music than you. It's the fastest way to get better.

4. Go outside and talk to people. It's easy to get sucked into the rut of practicing your butt off so you can remain competitive but all the shred chops in the world mean NOTHING if noone wants to play with you.

5. Speaking of that, don't have an attitude problem. Don't put people down, and don't hold an inflated opinion of yourself. Don't EVER act like any opportunity to play your instrument is BENEATH you. There's always another guitarist around the corner who can SMOKE you, and he probably isn't a jerk either.

6. However, DO recognize when something isn't working out, or is a bad opportunity, and avoid it. There's a difference. Just don't burn any bridges. That guy with the bad Katy Perry tribute band might have a Grammy next year, do you really want to be filed as "total ass/egomaniac" in his mind?

7. The days of being that guy who does one thing really well are GONE. You gotta be able to survive and thrive under many different genres. I'm not saying go get obsessed with dubstep and bad country, but you're really doing yourself a disservice by not being "into" everything. If you can play across every genre, it just makes you better and more employable.

8. No seriously, go get into everything. The last four pieces my shuffle playlist played were Duke Ellington, Stravinsky, The Notorious BIG, and The Band. There's good music everywhere, I promise, you just need to open up a little bit. You're allowed to not like things, but don't shut things out because they fit into a certain category. Go on an artist by artist basis.

(Yes, I'd be happy recommend stuff to anyone who doesn't believe me)

9. Branch out. If all you want to do is play guitar live, fine. But you should learn at least the basics of production, arranging, composing, etc. It can only help.

(You guys noticing a theme yet? I am)

10. Music is not a series of required tasks that need to be completed by date X. It's not a puzzle you need to solve, and you don't need to "beat" guitar/composing/whatever by a deadline "and then you'll be pro"

It's a journey, and the quest IS the reward. If you get discouraged, just remember to focus on your goals, do your work, and enjoy the process (however slow) of growing as an artist and a person.

Quote by Jet Penguin
Good stuff.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great reply. Once again, congratulations on finishing school and i hope your musical life continue to stay fruitful from here on. As someone who is starting his journey into music school at the end of this summer, i will take your advice close to heart.
Congratiulation~~~love so much~~~
Last edited by Monksky at May 16, 2015,
pretty glad i decided not to do music at uni.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Xiaoxi don't you diss BU there's tons of cool science kids there.

Also there's a boy shortage at BU so I do well when I'm over there, if you catch my drift.

Sayed, may not be a good idea to drop the FB all will-nilly, so I took care of that for you. Feel free to PM me anything.

great post Jet, it seems like you received a really solid education. I'm lucky to study in a jazz program that has a lot of interesting courses too.

I'm really looking forward to study arranging, and studio/live recording in addition to the jazz and pop ensembles next year. I have to say in the other hand, I was disappointed by the jazz ear training classes I received. Those classes really felt like a waste of time and money, and I had to take 4 semesters of that. Maybe classical ear training classes are better organized
Last edited by SuperKid at May 6, 2015,
Maybe, I dunno.

I spent a lot of time sight singing and doing dictation. The dictations were simple rhythm and piano stuff for the most part, but my ear training 4 teacher was a sadist.

My final exam was to transcribe this bad boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjAt9AfHQrE

And the other half was to sing a medley of Xmas carols, but every carol was in a different key, and the tunes switched from one to the other mid phrase, like:

Frosty the Red Noise Reindeer had an O Christmas Tree Roasting on an Open Silver Bells.

Studied for that for weeks, man. Went through 16 keys.

Were any in one of the modes, like D Dorian, E Phrygian, or F Lydian?
Yes. Ear training 2 and 3 have modal chorales you have to sing. Actual modal chorales. In many keys.

Also one day you're gonna end a sentence without the smirky face and it'll blow my mind.

I began a sentence with one this time. Is your mind blown?

Actually my first post in the thread didn't have one.
Last edited by theogonia777 at May 6, 2015,
Here's my question:
If you could go back in time and do it all over again, what would you do differently?
Page 1 of 2