I recently a Peavey Classic 50 that's about 25 years old. I've been pretty fortunate thus far, even though the amp has been pretty misused (unmatched power tubes, broken pots etc). very little noise in the amp itself, thank Jesus. now, I don't really consider myself a "tone freak" by any means, but there's one thing that's been really bothering me. whenever I have reverb on, it interferes with the clean sound of my guitar being slightly distorted, with the old reverb it just distorted dry signal (guitar) and with the reverb tank I just bought to fix it, it seems the wet signal is distorted, with the dry now clean. now, it's not like big muff distortion, but it's enough to annoy me. so far, I've changed the tank. haven't cleaned anything as of yet except for tube sockets, but it doesn't matter because it's a solid state verb. might be an impedance problem? Let me know, thank you for your time.
Check the J21/J31 connection.

Also, what's the pot like?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 4, 2015,
honestly, I have no idea what that is. I'll Google it quick. pot seems fine, doesn't scratch or anything, the plastic knob was broken off, but that hardly affects performance. I'd have to take off the chassis to see what it's like in there.
Yes, you'll need to pull the chassis to check the J21/J31 connectors. Not sure what they look like, sorry.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
are these things labeled? don't worry, I'm not going to poke around the capacitors, you don't need to give me the cliche talk about me killing myself from digging around in my amp. I'll have results probably by tomorrow if I can find the thingies.
Sorry, don't know. I was just looking at the schematic.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
long shot, but is it noise from vibration? i had that happen on a older combo. the vibration was causing the tank to vibrate and rattle. i put some dampening material (i had a piece of foam), and it fixed it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
That's a good call. I've also heard of reverb tanks being mounted upside down, wires reversed...but it does need to have some padding or it will pick up vibrations from the cabinet.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I'm back. muffling did not work. stuffed a whole t shirt in the reverb tank sock, distortion might've gotten worse. reverb is defiantly there, no arguing that. it just seems like there's an fx chain of reverb -> OD and the tails of notes are distorted

EDIT: just now switched cables to tank. distortion got worse, I switched back. I think I'm going to have to go digging in my amp, which I really didn't want to do
Last edited by AGaySpaceTiger at May 5, 2015,
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I don't know how Peavey does theirs, but the Fender with the same tank is inside a bag of sorts, with the open face UP, and a thin board on top of it. Put any kind of material in there without that board, it's going to hit the springs and make noise. If the Peavey is made with a similar floating tank, it's probably set up the same way, it worked for Fender for 50 years.

I can't think of anything else, but with an older amp it's possible someone tinkered with it long ago and all the parts aren't there. Try it with the tank just laying in the bottom of the amp open, no cover, no bag, and maybe place a layer of foam under it. That should tell you if it works right at all. Check the replacement tank the same way and make sure you have all the connections right, a new tank should work right if it's connected right.

I mention all this because we had a post on another forum not long ago about a Fender Reverb problem and everyone had the guy testing all sorts of components...and someone with a little sense came along and told him to check the reverb tank, which nobody had thought of. It was in the bag, but upside down so the reverb springs were banging against the bag when played and making lots of nasty noises...he flipped it over, put the board on top where it belonged, problem solved...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at May 6, 2015,
just now put new tank upside down no bag, noise unchanged, upside down with bag, no noise change, same with stock tank, no noise change

could it be the reverb's chip? I could order a new one for like $3

also, anyone know what damaged rca cables would sound like?
Last edited by AGaySpaceTiger at May 6, 2015,
doesn't matter. thanks to a bored teenager, I took out the IC to clean it, put it back in backwards, turned on the amp, smelled a funny smell, and saw I killed two resisters. Peavey support said I probably just had 2 bad pans. sorry to waste everyone's time
acid eater, gear is at my instagram ( itakenickpics). mesas, strats, vintage jap guits.

play good shit on shitty gear, not shitty shit on good gear

check out jazz, acid, and post rock stuff soundcloud.com/s-w-y-c-h & swych.bandcamp.com