Poll: How would you donate?
Poll Options
View poll results: How would you donate?
Publicly
6 26%
Anonymously
17 74%
Voters: 23.
Page 1 of 2
I've always kinda felt that publicizing your donations makes the donation more about you than the organization/person/cause you're donating to. It's like saying, "Hey everyone, look at how good a person I am."

However, Anonymous donations, I think, also do this, but it's just you convincing yourself of how good you are.

Do we every truly donate selflessly?

I was thinking about this because a friend of mine (a girl I had a crush on a while back tbh) was just diagnosed with skin cancer at age 25. She started a gofundme campaign for her treatments so I donated a bit. I wanted to keep my donation anonymous, but the site wouldn't let me, so now she knows :/
Check out my band Disturbed
I would claim charitable contributions for tax purposes.

If you're famous/have fans, it's probably best to make donations 'media'-public too.

Sorry about your friend, and hoping that it doesnt cost her too much out-of-pocket to cure it. Always wear sunscreen if you are a pale vampire
Last edited by Fat Lard at May 4, 2015,
This was actually going to be the next topic in my quest to liven up discussion in The Pit. It was more general, though, asking the question "Is any act truly selfless?"

One of the few Friends episodes I've seen (that show sucks. Fight me), I remember Phoebe and Ross (probably them, I can't remember) having this discussion. It was something to the effect of...

P: Why do you donate?
R: To help others.
P: And how do you feel about yourself after you donate?
R: Good.
*laugh tracks*

I've always held that if I were very, very, wealthy, I'd be very generous. I know some very wealthy people. A family with which I have a close relationship is a multi-millionaire family that donates and employs people for the sake of it (but generally keeps quiet about it) whilst also living a luxurious lifestyle. That's basically what I would do if I were in that situation. Donate, but also employ people to do jobs I could do myself for luxuries people can't afford. I'd keep my money in circulation, even if it meant doing things that benefit me to pander to my expensive tastes- at least the money is going somewhere other than collecting dust in my bank account. I'd donate, but I wouldn't pretend I'm not also doing it for myself.
Free Ali
Quote by StewieSwan
Do we every truly donate selflessly?
I remember we talked about this briefly in that one intro to economics course I took a year back

The answer was no
ggg1 ggg3

Who cares, the point is you're trying to help out someone. Don't think too much of it.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
I think publicizing your donation can also be used as a way to bring attention to the cause you are supporting not just yourself.

Yeh.
lol

as if anyone (except maybe someone super rich) donates money to charity in hopes that someone will see their name and say "Wow, that must be a great person!"

i think most people just donate 5-10$ to something they care about because they actually care
I wouldn't publicize it but I wouldn't keep it a secret either. Who cares as long as you're helping save the tiggers or whatever.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
When someone I knew from high school killed himself, I donated publicly the family fund. I made it public so that they knew they had my support.

Sometimes non-anonymous donations are more important
My God, it's full of stars!
i don't think it matters as long as you're helping

also my family donates to this organization which publicizes the fact that we help them out a lot, because this act of charity is supposed to come from future generations of my family too so it's more to hold me and my descendants accountable than to gloat about being such an amazing person
cat
Quote by chrismendiola
I've always held that if I were very, very, wealthy, I'd be very generous. I know some very wealthy people. A family with which I have a close relationship is a multi-millionaire family that donates and employs people for the sake of it (but generally keeps quiet about it) whilst also living a luxurious lifestyle. That's basically what I would do if I were in that situation. Donate, but also employ people to do jobs I could do myself for luxuries people can't afford. I'd keep my money in circulation, even if it meant doing things that benefit me to pander to my expensive tastes- at least the money is going somewhere other than collecting dust in my bank account. I'd donate, but I wouldn't pretend I'm not also doing it for myself.

this is how the world (under capitalism blah, blah, blah) would be good.
if we all spent our money and kept it in circulation instead of it sitting there and being boring.
Sorry about the friend. Although skin cancer's one of the better curable I think.

In this case I would make it public so she knows who's supporting her. For other things like donating to an institution or organization...I'd go anonymous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqrJ4wGid4Y

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Anonymous donations are more in the spirit of donating

Quote by chrismendiola
This was actually going to be the next topic in my quest to liven up discussion in The Pit. It was more general, though, asking the question "Is any act truly selfless?"

Breaking up with your gf/bf because you know that they'll be better off without you even though it'll make you miserable.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by caeser1156
Breaking up with your gf/bf because you know that they'll be better off without you even though it'll make you miserable.

Isn't this, by definition, making it easier on your conscience?
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola
Isn't this, by definition, making it easier on your conscience?

I guess, but if the bad far outweighs the good does that still count as a selfish act?
I guess it depends. You may have lots of reasons for making the donation public. If self-congratulation, wanting attention and praise from others, etc, are part of those reasons, then yeah it's not entirely altruistic. But if you make it public to raise awareness (like the ice bucket challenge for example), or to motivate people you know to donate too, then it's different. You may not really crave the attention and praise for donating publicly, but may do so anyways for those reasons above

When I donate to some causes I prefer to do them anonymously and silently though. Mainly because I want to convince myself I'm not a dick by flaunting it (so I guess...it's still selfish? >_>, and because I don't really care about anything other than getting that money to the cause as directly as possible.

Another different thing I notice is the social pressure of "donating just for the sake of it".
I prefer not to succumb to that pressure, and instead donate what I believe is right when I feel it is right to do so. That kind of pressure I guess is alright for "forcing" people to fork some cash for some organization, but I believe it doesn't make people more selfless, and may make people half-ass it and give money to shifty organizations that keep all the money or stuff like that.
Plus, I believe that, for most organizations that accept donations, the responsibility is not on pressuring common people to donate, but on governments/bigger organizations to work out that problem themselves.

Think of it like an international tipping culture, where certain organizations get very low money and support from their government, and they can only survive by having us "tip" (ie donate) money to them, when the ideal solution would be for the actual government to give them a "raise". Yet we are all guilt-tripped into tipping them because if we don't they'll not get money and children will die and stuff, so if you don't donate you are a bad person. This is a bad culture when it comes to tipping restaurant waiters, and it is also a bad culture when it comes to donating to organizations that try to make something good in the world.
This is irrelevant when it comes down to emergency stuff where donations are ACTUALLY needed though, like the Nepal/Haiti earthquakes and the like. In those cases yeah, donate, because it is actually needed.
Quote by caeser1156
I guess, but if the bad far outweighs the good does that still count as a selfish act?

I don't know, but I'm asking (or would have asked) about "truly selfless" acts.
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola
I don't know, but I'm asking (or would have asked) about "truly selfless" acts.

yeah i guess you can't have truly selfless acts. but there's plenty of times where the selflessness outweighs the selfishness of the act by quite a bit.

well actually, could it be counted "truly selfless" if you helped someone in a way where you didn't realize you helped them? if you didn't know about it then you couldn't feel good about it
I often donate small amounts to charity, I don't think much of it when I do, I just want to help

Best of luck to your friend
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
i dont donate to chartiys or organizationss. i know im an asshole and don't need to rpove to msledf otherwise.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Donating to what? Donating to a charity doesn't matter. Donating to a friend of family members charity fund could be best publicly, so you can show your support. Donating to a political party or an ideological group should be mandatory to donate publicly so there's no shady corrupt stuff going on.
Quote by guitarxo
i don't think it matters as long as you're helping

yeah

but this reminds me of how in alberta they are being all "if you don't elect the conservatives we will not be able to donate to childrens hospitals anymore" which is but shithawks get their own rules
I'm not sure there are (m)any acts that are entirely without self-interest. That being said, I think a distinction needs to be made between something done out of self-interest that is simply beneficial to an individual and something that is actually harming others in the process.

You're allowed to look after yourself/make yourself feel good. It's good to do that. However, if you look after yourself by taking away the possibility for someone else to look after himself/herself, that is not so good.

I'm perfectly willing to admit that I donate to a few charities because it makes me feel good to know that I'm contributing something, however small that is. It seems like a win-win situation to me. An overlap of interests or something.
I used to donate during charity livestream events and the only reason I did it was so they would call out my name and say thank you.

If the whole thing had been anonymous, I would not have donated.
Last edited by sashki at May 5, 2015,
I donate anonymously to various things. Things I feel are important rather than randomly throwing money at stuff.

The whole altruism & self-interest thing is a debate for assholes to excuse themselves for being assholes.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Charity is over-rated. It panders to the wealthy donor who is seeking political gain and serves, generally to a less than impressive extent, the poor saps it claims to serve, so it's not all bad, but it ain't that great, either.

Much better, I think, to simply raise your own awareness of how your everyday choices and behaviors affect the world around you and try consciously to live in such as way as to minimize your impact on the world, and to raise the awareness of others if/when you can.

I personally have a fairly high level of awareness of this type of stuff to where I feel I don't really wish to learn any more about it at the moment. Yes, the porpoises of Brazil are washing up bloated on the beaches of wherever, well whatever. I'm working on the stuff I'm already processing, trying to recycle more, eat less palm oil (which is quickly extincting the orangutans, who arguably are the most like us socially of any known species, a similarity and common curiosity which has led to the vicious slaughter, at times, and progressive demise of these wondrous, intelligent creatures which will probably be wiped off the face of the earth in a matter of years, mid-2020's if we're luck, so...)

You see what I mean.

I do what I can, and live with it. Come at me with your charity campaign and my attitude is, "File under Porpoises of Brazil" and similar.

I drive a 4-cylinder car, I recycle more than is probably considered "healthy" by psychiatric standards, etc., etc.

Let the rich have their charities.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Bubonic Chronic
Charity is over-rated.

lol

only on UG

listen, you can "raise your own awareness" all you want. It's not gonna contribute 1 cent to someone's chemotherapy treatment.

I'd rather a rich asshole who contributes to a cancer research / support fund for vanity than him just being more "aware".

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at May 5, 2015,
I don't give money to homeless people.

the money goes to much better use to a homeless charity (over here at least)

having worked with some homeless organisations in the past, the majority of those begging are there because they actively refuse to take part in the support programs open to them. ie applying for work or not using drugs.

It's kind of shitty but in a welfare heavy country like ours, you are only really supporting depressed/emotionally lost people who don't want to engage with the system and drug addicts who couldn't/don't want to engage with rehab programs.

though I'll still buy someone some food if they are desperately hungry or something.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
My wife and I discussed this a long time ago and we decided that when we donate we would do so anonymously if possible and not take any tax credit from it.

In my opinion it demeans the donation and the cause if you're doing it for a tangible reward.

But everyone has to decide for themselves. I'd rather people gave and got credit than didn't give at all. Our decision applies to us alone.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I donate anonymously because I don't want to make a big deal either way. I don't want people to be like "o well why don't you donate to this or this?" or "o man ur so naice and shit lets discuss shit we have no concept of and argue about it for an hour". Both sides are annoying and I just want to support what I want to support in peace.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I lean towards Ayn Rand's philosophies of objectivism and that one's own happiness is the only true purpose of life.

Therefore I don't really subscribe to altruism or the belief that any act is truly selfless. We may commit ourselves to actions or beliefs that seem altruistic, simply due to social pressure to do what people will think is "right". If you don't do what's "right" you lose social acceptance, and if you lose social acceptance you will inevitably suffer from loneliness and humiliation, and living a normal life becomes difficult. This fact is fairly evident throughout society.

I've only ever donated to charities through Humble Bundle, and on one occasion years ago I donated to the Layne Staley Fund. I also on occasion give my money to the Salvation Army. When my mother's house burned down a couple of years ago, they, the entire community, and even the Mayor, came to our aid. My family received thousands in donations, and more clothes and supplies than we even needed.

I think it's fantastic that people do these things for others, especially in a smaller community. However, I don't believe any of the aid we received came from pure selfless interest. There's always other factors involved.

Still, a good deed is a good deed, and it's better not to think it over too much.
Quote by Xiaoxi
lol

only on UG

listen, you can "raise your own awareness" all you want. It's not gonna contribute 1 cent to someone's chemotherapy treatment.

I'd rather a rich asshole who contributes to a cancer research / support fund for vanity than him just being more "aware".

You don't understand. Being aware of the world's problems is the first step towards continuing on with your day and not doing anything about those problems.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I fail to see why feeling good about donating is a bad thing. If helping others in need gives me a kick, shouldn't that be a good thing?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Xiaoxi

Prevention is the best medicine.

Why does the cancer exist in the first place?

Possibly agricultural and/or food processing by-products? Environmental effects, be they ecological (rivers and streams) or urban (like the air we breath, water we drink), etc.

Seems the world is crowded with "charities" for everything, and cancer? You're never going to cure "cancer," what a joke!

You can cure a cancer, a case of cancer can be deemed, "in remission," or whatever, but cancer is such a broadly defined phenomenon, how can you even approach "curing" it?

The media and popular culture loves to slap on a ribbon or have some marathon or "dump some shit on your head" event, why? Does that help?

Hell no!

What might just help? Contributing a bit less money to companies like "Chem-Lawn" who make a living spraying aeorsolised chemicals on the ground that are engineered to do what?

Grow shit.

What is cancer?

It is shit growing.

Why does shit grow?

It grows in response to chemicals such as steroids (for example) in beef (for example) that tell the cells in the organism, "it's time to grow!"

The chemicals that tell a beef cow to grow more mean, or possibly (can't be bothered to do the research) grass to be greener, are not very different from the chemicals that tell human cells to grow. It's not a growth hormone, but take for example serotonin:

Your psychiatrist tells you you're "depressed" because you don't have enough of this serotonin shit in your brain. So what do you do? You take a pill that prevents your brain from getting rid of it.

You know what serotonin does to grasshoppers?

It turns them into locusts: cannibalistic eating machines destructive enough to make virtually every religious text and/or cultural myth EVER!

Same stuff.

So the shit we put in our food, or spray on the lawn, is known to make us have more meat and prettier, greener lawns.

How the holy **** do we know that it doesn't also happen to tell our bodies to grow extra stuff that turns into cancer?

WE DON'T!!

So what do I do? I try and avoid that shit as much as possible. Nothing dogmatic or even highly organized about it, I just use my head when it comes to exposing myself and my family to chemicals, particularly chemicals that are designed to make stuff grow.

Why?

Cancer is a disease in which stuff grows too much/at the wrong time. It's really complex, we DON'T know what causes it because there are 15 trillion things that cause it, all inter-related, and NO...

Wearing a pink ribbon or donating to "Save Poor Caroline" fund is not gonna help (much.)

Furthermore, breast cancer is among the easiest to treat/cure, and least deadly cancers to get. Granted, it can kill you, but these days it doesn't tend to. Why?

Prevention. Women get mammograms/do breast checks. Caught early it's easy as pie to treat.

Ovarian cancer is a mother****er, literally. Why don't you see everyone on TV waving balloons around and having a giant-ass party for Ovarian Cancer?

Because if you get it you're probably gonna die.

So yes, I know a thing or two about things like this. And no, I don't feel charities are all that stinking helpful.

Getting educated and then educating others DOES help, in fact that's my job. What do I tell people every day?

"Don't smoke." or chew tobacco, or any of the other stuff that tends to cause these types of problems.

For me I am way beyond the level of shoving a pile of carcinogenic dogshit in my cheek for six hours a day. I get it. I'm at the level of trying to eat healthy as best I can.

And no, I'm not a Nazi about it. Ate bacon this morning and yes, goddamnit, it was good.

I also know the risks. I'm aware, so yes, "raising ones awareness," aka getting a freakin' education is important. Much more so than some "GoFundMe" campaign will ever do.

WHY DON'T WE CHANGE THE FREAKIN' LAW SO THAT THE GIRL WITH THE CANCER CAN HAVE THAT SHIT PAID FOR FOR CRAP'S SAKE?!

No, that doesn't make any sense at all.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by ErikLensherr
You don't understand. Being aware of the world's problems is the first step towards continuing on with your day and not doing anything about those problems.

That's....genius!

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Page 1 of 2