I'm looking to buy a completely new set of gear, and I figured the best place to start is with a guitar and an amp. Since this seems to be the place for amp questions, I thought I'd ask what you guys would recommend for a bedroom amp given my following needs:

-As much tone versatility as possible. everything from solid cleans to crushing, preferably thick distortion a la electric wizard, sleep, Kyuss. I really don't want dirty sounding cleans though so I cant imagine finding an amp that gives both is the easiest thing. I definitely don't need a lot of volume though, as it's just a bedroom setup.

-Something that works well with a fair amount of pedals. Im planning to buy at least 4 or 5 new ones soon. Don't really know what to go for in terms of pedals, my list right now only has a big muff and a boss dd-7 or dd-6 on it. I probably will want a reverb and another distortion pedal of some sort, but i guess thats not really what this thread is about.

-around $800-900 would be my general limit for the amp. I should probably mention I live in canada too. Anything cheaper is more than welcome.

I really have no idea what to look for so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.
I would guess from the sounds of it, a good clean amp driven by pedals would work best for you. That's how the guys in Kyuss and similar tend to get the sound.

Maybe a Fender Blues Jnr, with a good fuzz (big muff is a good place to start tbh) and overdrive (maybe Tubescreamer type).
Not too expensive, not too loud for bedroom playing, not too quiet if you start gigging.
A Pod HD Pro or Pod HD500X with some FRFR speakers or monitors?
Last edited by triface at May 5, 2015,
Quote by FinderofNemo
I'm looking to buy a completely new set of gear, and I figured the best place to start is with a guitar and an amp. Since this seems to be the place for amp questions, I thought I'd ask what you guys would recommend for a bedroom amp given my following needs:

-As much tone versatility as possible. everything from solid cleans to crushing, preferably thick distortion a la electric wizard, sleep, Kyuss. I really don't want dirty sounding cleans though so I cant imagine finding an amp that gives both is the easiest thing. I definitely don't need a lot of volume though, as it's just a bedroom setup.

-Something that works well with a fair amount of pedals. Im planning to buy at least 4 or 5 new ones soon. Don't really know what to go for in terms of pedals, my list right now only has a big muff and a boss dd-7 or dd-6 on it. I probably will want a reverb and another distortion pedal of some sort, but i guess thats not really what this thread is about.

-around $800-900 would be my general limit for the amp. I should probably mention I live in canada too. Anything cheaper is more than welcome.

I really have no idea what to look for so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

I think the best sounding amps for bed room players are small tube amps. They also take pedals better (especially those that boost the front end a little bit). I've been out of the amp game for a while, but I've liked the Egnater tweaker in the past. It's (as far as I know) probably the most versatile of that group of small tube amps. That said, it IS short on headroom (I mean... it's 15 watts), and even though it's a bed room amp, you might find yourself running out of pristine clean sounds fairly early on the volume dial. The overdrive channel might also not be particularly "crushing". It's a 15 watt amp, it's tough to get anything "crushing" with 15 watts, but it does a passable job.
Last edited by al112987 at May 5, 2015,
Just get a Peavey Bandit
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by al112987
I think the best sounding amps for bed room players are small tube amps. They also take pedals better (especially those that boost the front end a little bit). I've been out of the amp game for a while, but I've liked the Egnater tweaker in the past. It's (as far as I know) probably the most versatile of that group of small tube amps. That said, it IS short on headroom (I mean... it's 15 watts), and even though it's a bed room amp, you might find yourself running out of pristine clean sounds fairly early on the volume dial. The overdrive channel might also not be particularly "crushing". It's a 15 watt amp, it's tough to get anything "crushing" with 15 watts, but it does a passable job.

We've fought against this false mindset here for the last several years and you're going to pimp it to this guy?

Sheesh!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by FinderofNemo
Some solid suggestions for me to look into, thanks guys. I've heard the Orange TT combo isnt all that great with pedals though^

It isn't? It sure tricked me

@Robb - I don't need more amps but that Pittbull surely gave me G.A.S.!

Not sure how their support is since the original VHT now is under the name Fryette and VHT is crappy Chinese amp manufacturer, but that amp is amazing!
Quote by diabolical

Not sure how their support is since the original VHT now is under the name Fryette and VHT is crappy Chinese amp manufacturer, but that amp is amazing!

Just get ahold of Fryette, he still services and has parts for all the original VHT amps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Mesa Roadster combo used. It has a volume knob, well several really but you get the idea. It's a little over budget though.

Or just get something like a used ValveKing with a POD HD500X.

Depends on what you want really. Maybe a used Vypyr tube 60 would work.

Do you want amp modeling? Do you want an amp that will nail all of those sounds on its own?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I don't want an amp that does everything on its own, which is why I plan on buying a variety of pedals and need an amp that plays well with at least 5 at a time, if thats what you meant by that question. But I definitely want an amp thats capable of getting a good tone with whatever I'm trying to throw at it, be it crystal clear cleans with a bit of reverb or delay, or crushing distortion.

In the future I'd get a bigger amp for gigging, but for the meantime I want to try my hand at developing a tone for my own playing in my bedroom, while also being able to emulate other player's tones that I like when I just want to play other music.
Quote by diabolical

my dual terror takes pedals great. the tiny terror is basically half of it, and i can't imagine taking pedals any differently. i run my fulltone clyde>zendrive> OCD> malekko 616, with the amp on as clean as loud as i can and it kills. i have gigged it a lot. it works like a champ.

i can't wait to get my rockerverb in on thursday!!!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Orange does have the sound spectrum he wants to cover.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
orange thunder 30 or rocker 30 could be good for the OP. i don't know what they go for used though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Im thinking of skipping the small bedroom amp and just buying a cab/amp head together instead, so I can have something to gig with immediately if need be without spending more money. I was considering a tiny terror head with a ppc112 cab to start with, anything better I should consider?
Quote by FinderofNemo
Im thinking of skipping the small bedroom amp and just buying a cab/amp head together instead, so I can have something to gig with immediately if need be without spending more money. I was considering a tiny terror head with a ppc112 cab to start with, anything better I should consider?

It's a very nice portable tube amp. However its 15W. You could very well end up needing much more than that. Just saying
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
Quote by triface
A Pod HD Pro or Pod HD500X with some FRFR speakers or monitors?

That would be my recommendation. The "Pro" is a rackmount and it's expensive. The "bean" does virtually everything that the pro does but isn't a rackmount and is easy to cart around and...uh...it's about $300 less expensive. I love the Pro, and I actually use the Variax input that the bean doesn't have, but if you don't have a Variax, the extra three bills can be used elsewhere.

If you're mostly going to be in a bedroom, get a decent set of recording monitors (you don't need to overspend for these if you're not actually doing recording mixing), and I'd suggest something with a bit of power and perhaps even a subwoofer.

Cheaper and louder (in case you ever need louder) would be something like a carvin PM12A, which is a 400W powered PA type speaker with flat and fairly wide frequency response.
^ X3 has the Variax input an it's way cheaper
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by FinderofNemo
I'm pretty sold on the TT head, that thing looks really promising. What are some relatively small cabs that would go well with it? I don't want to go over $1200 with the head's ~$700 price factored in, so I guess $500 would be my cab budget.

The Tiny Terror is a great amp, I completely agree that it is good with pedals. I have two orange 2x12's and they are great. If you are in Europe the harley benton cabs are supposed to be nice and very cheap.

Edit: you are in Canada. Avatar and white box may be good options also.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at May 6, 2015,
http://avatarspeakers.com/home/product/g112-traditional/

With a V30 or Hellatone 60 (broken in V30)

Edit: and 16 ohm.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100