I decided for my next amp I'm going to get a head + cab. I know I want a 2x12 cab for space issues and a single channel head with a lot of headroom for cleans and to be used as a pedal platform.

I'm pretty much set on an 80's MusicMan HD150, but I'm wondering if anything else like it exists?

Looking to spend about $500 on the head. I should be able to get an HD150 for that much. I might also consider an HD130, but I feel like the 6L6 tubes would be cleaner. Both amps are pretty tough to come by. Only a couple are up on Reverb.com right now, so that's why I'm seeking alternatives.

I have also been considering a Sovtek Mig100, but they are fetching pretty high dollar these days, and other vintage Fender amps like the Bandmaster, Showman and Bassman. My only issue with those amps is I can't seem to figure out which models/years would have the most headroom and be in my budget.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Silverface Twin. A Blackface Twin would be better if you can find one in budget.
**** head and cab. Just grab a Twin.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Peavey Classic Chorus, but I don't think they ever made a head format.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i love my HD130 2x12" combo. LOUD and clean. nice reverb and tremolo. i haven't ever played a HD150 though. i think i paid a tad under $350 for mine, but i don't have the footswitch .

its 6L6 and i have an earlier model with a tube PI. i love the amp though.

i also have a sovtek MIG 50 (IIRC its the plexi based one), i haven't played it for quite a while, but it does get a little dirty when you turn it up pretty loud. i haven't ever played a MIG100 though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
@Cath
my back up plan is to pick up a used Twin, but I have a bad back and I'm only 20 years old which is why I want to opt for the head + cab.

@dspellman
It's a super clean amp. Based on what I've read, they're modeled after Leo Fender designs. Solid state preamp section is pretty nice too, considering I'll never have to worry about tubes going bad (of course that's pretty minor), lots of headroom, very loud, operates at 75W, great platform for pedals.

@Offworld92
I'll have to check that out anyway, thanks for the suggestion! EDIT: Oh yeah I've seen those before, basically the Peavey JC-120! I've thought about the JC-120 head as well, but people say the combo is better.

@trashedlostfdup
Seems like the combos fetch about $500 these days. It's a shame that I didn't consider picking up one of these or a Sovtek like last year.

I figured if I ended up with the opportunity to get a Mig 100 (not the 100H), I'd put some 12AT7s if it wasn't clean enough. Some people say they have Blackface-esque cleans, other people say they're terrible. Can't imagine I would need to run it too loud.

I could definitely understand the Mig 50 getting gritty.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Last edited by nick.culliton at May 5, 2015,
look around for a silverface band master
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
I don't understand how the Bandmaster could have that much headroom, being 40W. Can you explain that to me?
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Another option is an RM100. If you can't find a module that will suit your needs, you aint looking hard enough.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i dont understand,,,,,,,,What is it about the HD150 that you're particularly fond o
Quote by reza011
i dont understand,,,,,,,,What is it about the HD150 that you're particularly fond o

do you have experience with music man? They are great amps that are very cheap. I like my hd-130 just as much as my bassman, but for different reasons.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by reza011

Quote by nick.culliton

It's a super clean amp. Based on what I've read, they're modeled after Leo Fender designs. Solid state preamp section is pretty nice too, considering I'll never have to worry about tubes going bad (of course that's pretty minor), lots of headroom, very loud, operates at 75W, great platform for pedals.

I think he might be associating the "HD150" with the Line6 HD150 head.

@Cath
Totally unfamiliar with those amps. I'll have to look into them, but they seem to be out of my price range by a few hundred dollars.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Those are super interesting. Might have to check out a RM50 head if I can find one. An unloaded open box is on eBay for $500.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Quote by nick.culliton
I don't understand how the Bandmaster could have that much headroom, being 40W. Can you explain that to me?

40w is still gonna get plenty loud before it starts to breakup. How much do you want to push the amp? Are you looking to turn the thing all the way up? If you've already talked about your application for the amp I guess I missed it.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
you want loud with plenty of clean headroom then look for a Legend Rock and Roll series amp. all tube preamp and solid state power amp. the power section is unbelievably loud as in when i used one i made the other guitar player (using a 50 watt marshall ) beg for mercy .

these can be had fairly cheap but aren't easy to find. one of the first boutiqe amps. they were made in the late 70s - early 80s. Billy Gibbons used them to record Elimantor. when pushed with an overdrive or a distortion pedal it really sings. a pic of my 2x12 can be found in my profile, it's the amp my 2 strats are leaning against in that pic.
Any 50w + tube amp with decent speakers is going to have 120db of clean headroom before breakup. They will easy crush any drum kit and get you kicked out of every club in LA. Music man, fender, Mesa ,Roland are all contenders. The fender showman would be the dick dale amp to have.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I was wondering if maybe the stock speakers in my VK cause the breakup, so that could be the case as well? I don't really feel like replacing them because still much rather get a head + cab.

@gerraguitar
I had a Fender HRD that sounded like it had an OD in front of it when the volume was high enough to be heard over drums, hence my worry of not having enough headroom.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Quote by Cajundaddy
Any 50w + tube amp with decent speakers is going to have 120db of clean headroom before breakup. They will easy crush any drum kit and get you kicked out of every club in LA. Music man, fender, Mesa ,Roland are all contenders. The fender showman would be the dick dale amp to have.

Didn't they create the Dual Showman because of Dick Dale? The story goes that the screaming girls in the audience were so loud that they couldn't be heard...

I've met him and tried his guitar, some time gone now. I have NO idea how he plays that thing.
Quote by nick.culliton
I decided for my next amp I'm going to get a head + cab. I know I want a 2x12 cab for space issues and a single channel head with a lot of headroom for cleans and to be used as a pedal platform.

I'm pretty much set on an 80's MusicMan HD150, but I'm wondering if anything else like it exists?

Looking to spend about $500 on the head. I should be able to get an HD150 for that much.

Tons of other options, though the "single channel" thing might be a challenge.

I have a Carvin XV112E, for example. It's a late '80's amp (though they reissued it a few years ago) that could run 6L6 or EL34 (which mine has). The clean channel is gorgeous, and it's nominally a 100W amp (most folks just toss a 25W per 6L6 or EL34 rating out there, though Music Man calls four 6L6's 150W). It's very loud. Mine's a 1x12 combo with an EV speaker (I've swapped it out from time to time with one of Carvin's 100W Brit-voiced speakers) and an open back. It was originally designated "practice" amp with a full-stack Marshall as the gigging amp, but when the Marshall went down, I plugged the Carvin into the stack and it outperformed the Marshall head by quite a distance. Comes with active controls and a bunch of options (including a 5-band graphic EQ -- also active -- that's assignable. Even as a combo it's *heavy* (the transformers are hugemongous and the magnet on the back of the EV must be 15 lbs by itself).

I've also got a Carvin Belair (2x12, EL84s, 50W) that's an open back combo that's about the same size as most 2x12 cabs. Very compact. Also with a gorgeous clean channel and, again, extremely loud. Mine's got V30's, and I've had it modified (google Hasserl Mods) so that the second channel sounds "like a vintage Marshall, but with more gain than any vintage Marshall ever had."

Both of these amps can be had for $350 or thereabouts used.
I'm not super particular about the amp being single channel. I just figure because I use pedals, it doesn't really need to have more than one channel.

I mostly want a head with lots of headroom that works well as a pedal platform around $500.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Quote by nick.culliton

I had a Fender HRD that sounded like it had an OD in front of it when the volume was high enough to be heard over drums, hence my worry of not having enough headroom.

My guess is that HRD was sickly. I gigged with one for 5 years and no drummer ever ran with it cranked up to 3 clean. Doobie Bros, Ventures, Dick Dale, and Beach Boys were all part of our set then and that amp never came up short on clean headroom. Punch a TS9 and it had a real nice 70s Classic Rock grit. One of my favorite amps for bar gigs, just don't point it at your knees.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Quote by dspellman
Didn't they create the Dual Showman because of Dick Dale? The story goes that the screaming girls in the audience were so loud that they couldn't be heard...

I've met him and tried his guitar, some time gone now. I have NO idea how he plays that thing.

Yep, he kept blowing up Super Reverbs and Twins so Leo made one he couldn't kill.

One of my drummer friends (Dusty Watson) toured with Dale for a few years recently and had a ball. I saw them at the Fender museum and performing arts center in Corona but never talked to Dick. He was still a monster performer onstage. A great show.

Quote by Cajundaddy
My guess is that HRD was sickly. I gigged with one for 5 years and no drummer ever ran with it cranked up to 3 clean. Doobie Bros, Ventures, Dick Dale, and Beach Boys were all part of our set then and that amp never came up short on clean headroom. Punch a TS9 and it had a real nice 70s Classic Rock grit. One of my favorite amps for bar gigs, just don't point it at your knees.

It was an original HRD from 1997. I immediately got it checked out by a tech because it was 100% stock. I figured after 17 years, it could probably use a check up.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Vox AC50 or AC100 heads? One of my favorite guitar players used an AC30 (maybe a 15, I can't remember) and the heads are pretty cheap.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
I'm going with a modded Sovtek Mig 50. They're based on the Bassman circuit with only a few differences. The guy upgraded the pots and jacks as well as converted it to take EL34 tubes. If I have issues with headroom, I figure I'll put a 12AT7 in the V3 and swap the power tubes with KT77's. I plan on getting a cab with high-efficiency speakers, so I don't see headroom being too much an issue.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Last edited by nick.culliton at May 10, 2015,
you will like it. mine was heavily modded by the tech i bought it from. new filter caps, belton sockets, carling switches CTS pots, new jacks, its been done up nicely.

its interesting to throw a 12AT7into V3. i never really thought about that, nor KT77's.

good luck!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
12AT7's are supposed to be good for phase inverter position! The guy on Reverb hasn't gotten back to me yet about my offer. If he falls through I think I'm going to go with a Bassman 135 for $550, but I'm waiting to hear back about if the amp has been serviced and how old the tubes are. I wouldn't be too excited about needing to drop another $150-$200 when I get it... but I would have zero problems with clean headroom.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band