I've been working on this for my creative writing class. Probably the longest narrative I've ever written, so I'm not sure how good/bad it is.

------

I’ve always enjoyed walking, as far back as I can remember. It didn’t really matter where I was going or where I ended up, I just enjoyed the journey. So when I was told about the old semi-abandoned back road on the edge of town, I was pretty excited. Sure, I got a lot of warnings about how it was ‘haunted’ and ‘possibly dangerous’, but I’ve never been one for superstitions. And even if I was, that wouldn’t have stopped me from wanting to explore. Still, being what you’d call an experienced walker, I took a small pocket knife and mini-flashlight with me. I may not have believed in ghost stories, but I also didn’t know what to expect of this road and who might be lurking there. This road wasn’t even on the map, so I had to find it by word of others.

As I walked down the street, everything just felt very normal. There wasn’t any wind, the air wasn’t especially cold, the street lights weren’t flashing. For a while, I could even hear cars. But eventually, I came to a point where I couldn’t see the beginning of the street behind me. I stopped hearing cars, streetlights became more scarce. The street was more broken up, and you could see the broad cracks even in the dim light. All of it was a bit unnerving, but there was also something peaceful about it.

About half an hour into my walk, I started hearing the faint sound of guitar playing. I glanced to the side of the road to see a darkened figure sitting on the front porch of an unlit house. “Evening” I heard him say. I stopped dead in my tracks. I replied with a “Good evening.” The figure kept rocking back and forth in the swinging bench on his porch. “Where ya headed this late at night?” Caught off guard, I replied “I don’t know.“ He kept strumming his guitar, though I couldn’t hear a distinct melody. His voice sounded weak, old. “Well if ya ain’t headed no where, why don’t cha come over and sit with me for a bit?” he offered. “I don’t get much company out here.” Scared, but not wanting to be rude, I obliged him.

As I walked up to his porch, he lit a small candle. It was bright enough to where I could see in front of myself, though even up close I couldn’t make out a face on the figure. “My name’s Jack,” I replied. “Ya know what they say about men who don’t know where they’re goin, Jack?” he laughed. I can only imagine the puzzled look on my face. “They can end up somewhere else.” I could tell that I wasn’t in any danger, though there was something off about the person sitting across from me. “I guess I should clarify,” I replied, “I’m not really headed anywhere.” The chuckle didn’t cease, “All’s the same in the end. If ya ain’t headed no where, then ya don’t know where yer goin neither.” I hadn’t yet realized just what I’d gotten myself into.

“I only ever met one man like you.” he stated. “Said he wasn’t goin' no where, proclaimed it like he was being accused, and by and by I believed him.” his voice faded. “What happened to him?”, my curiosity got the better of me. “He walked straight down that street, and sank like a boat. Woulda gone to hell, and I’da seen him leave.” he scoffed. I was growing more uncomfortable by the minute. His voice got quiet, though his fingers never ceased. Half an hour must have passed, as I listened to him strum his melody on the guitar. “How much farther does this road lead?”, I finally broke the silence. “About as long as you take it.”, he answered nonchalantly. I could tell I wouldn’t get a real answer out of him, so I decided it was time to go. He didn’t bat an eye as I left, though I doubt I would’ve seen his eyes anyway.

As I continued down the road, it almost seemed like it reset. There weren’t a lot of cracks in the cement, street lights weren’t as scarce. I even began to hear cars again. But by and by, that faded and left me walking in the dark on a broken up street. There was a house on the left side of the road, that stood out from the other houses. It was smaller, almost abandoned looking, and the brick walls looked chipped and faded. The other houses weren’t much better looking though they did appear to be cookie-cutter. I’d seen the same repeating houses the whole time I’d been walking though something about them felt off.

About five minutes after I’d seen the smaller house, I saw it again. Or at least I thought I did; I blinked and it was gone. I’d keep seeing the house, and then it’d be replaced by another. This continued for a few minutes until my anxiety got the better of me. I stopped blinking so the house would stay where it was. I walked up the stone path leading to the front door. My legs were trembling, my eyes burned from not blinking. If I’d already regretted going on this walk, I now wished that I didn’t even know this street existed. It felt like hours as I walked the path, as short as it was. There was no front porch, so I immediately met the door at the end of the path.

I knocked on the door, no answer. I knocked again, still no answer. Thinking back on it now, I don’t exactly know who or what I expected to answer the door. I had to find out what this house was. I twisted the door knob to find out it was unlocked. As I opened the door, I came into an inside of the house that looked nothing like the out. It looked like one of those 1950s nuclear family homes that you’d see on sitcoms. Everything was clean and perfect. The room past the front door was a living room. A medium sized room, it consisted of a four person sofa, and an old looking television. Behind it was a ******* of about the same size, maybe a bit smaller. There was a glass chandelier in the middle, with a small table and five chairs underneath it. There was a set of stairs off to the side, though I barely noticed them.

I heard foots coming from the stairs, though I didn’t have time to get out and remain unnoticed. I just stood there, frozen at the front door. What came down the stairs is something I’ll never forget. A family of four, or at least I think they were. They looked more clay than human. They were humanoid in form, though devoid any features. Grey skin, no faces, nothing to distinguish between male and female. Two tall ones, and two short ones. They walked systematically towards the table, and each had a seat. Almost as if they hadn’t noticed me.

Seeing it as a good time to get out, I reached for the door. I waved my hand around behind me, trying to reach the door knob, before looking back to see that the door had been replaced by a wall. Frozen in fear, my breathing became harder. What had I done? Was I even still on earth? I felt paralyzed. The four humanoid figures were now sitting at the table, leaving one seat open. The four figures turned their heads towards me. I could feel what I can only imagine were their eyes staring at me. At this point, I blacked out. The next thing I remember is sitting at the table.
The four figures bowed their heads as if to pray, and I followed suit. We kept our heads bowed for a good five minutes. When my head rose, there were five plates in front of us. Positioned in the center of the plate in front of me was a tiny table with five equally small chairs. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw four grey figures walk across the table, onto my plate, and sit around the smaller table. These were the same figures sitting around me. The four smaller figures now sitting on my plate, were followed a few seconds later by a non-grey figure. This figure walked slower than the four others, almost zombie-like. He sat in the chair closest to me, and I quickly realized just who this figure was. Sitting on my plate was a smaller version of myself, along with the four other figures at the table. I was definitely uncomfortable with all of this; though it all felt more surreal than frightening.

The same thing was on the plates of everyone else at the table. They picked up forks, and began eating the little people on their plates. No holes were made for their mouths; the food, if you can call it that, just sank into their faces. Surreal as it felt, I couldn’t stomach the idea of eating myself. I just kept my head down while they ate, hoping to go unnoticed. Once their plates were clean, they began to stare up towards the chandelier, almost as if they were waiting for something. I still kept my head down as much as I could, taking in small glances arounds me.

Once all four were staring up at the chandelier, they began to sink in their seats.

I feel like it's kinda rushed tonally towards the part about the grey figures. Critiques/criticisms are well appreciated.
¯\_()_/¯
Last edited by CaptainCanti at May 5, 2015,