So I was thinking of writing some lyrics sometime soon, but I have no clue what to write about. Satan? War? Hate? Political corruption? Religion? Violence? Insanity? Apocalypse? World going to hell? Seems like that's all I hear in thrash metal. Getting to the point where it's standard to talk about those things. Will no other topics work or should I just stick to the basic formula of thrash music?
I say use whatever lyrics you want to use. In my opinion it would be silly to let a genre dictate what you are going to sing about. I would like to note that I am not saying you shouldn't write lyrics with any topics that are used in thrash but that you should want to write about the topic not just do it because that's what other bands are doing.
And everything that once was
infinitely far
and unsayable is now
unsayable
and right here in the room.

- Franz Wright
Quote by NougatOfficial
I say use whatever lyrics you want to use. In my opinion it would be silly to let a genre dictate what you are going to sing about. I would like to note that I am not saying you shouldn't write lyrics with any topics that are used in thrash but that you should want to write about the topic not just do it because that's what other bands are doing.

Well my question is simple: what else is there to write about? I plan on using these lyrics in the future when I get a group going who are into similar genres, so i'm taking these little notes seriously. I mean, lyrics about a breakup, for example, doesn't really fit into thrash, and so on. I feel like those topics that I mentioned are the only things that fit into thrash music. I don't want to sound like i'm ripping off Slayer.
I find it hard to believe that you can't make certain lyrics fit. Why can't lyrics about a breakup fit into thrash? In my opinion it's all about using images, metaphors, word choice etc to get the point across.

Also I wouldn't worry about ripping off anyone. Yes your influences may appear in your lyrics but that isn't a bad thing because it will lead to you developing your own style. Overall I'm saying to just go for it. Start writing some lyrics that you think sound good and don't think about rather or not it is acceptable to use in thrash or if it has influences from your favorite band. Just go with the flow.
And everything that once was
infinitely far
and unsayable is now
unsayable
and right here in the room.

- Franz Wright
Quote by NougatOfficial
I find it hard to believe that you can't make certain lyrics fit. Why can't lyrics about a breakup fit into thrash? In my opinion it's all about using images, metaphors, word choice etc to get the point across.

Also I wouldn't worry about ripping off anyone. Yes your influences may appear in your lyrics but that isn't a bad thing because it will lead to you developing your own style. Overall I'm saying to just go for it. Start writing some lyrics that you think sound good and don't think about rather or not it is acceptable to use in thrash or if it has influences from your favorite band. Just go with the flow.

Very good advice. Thank you.
Quote by NougatOfficial

Yeah thrash songs about breakups are kickass, like Megadeth - Tornado of Souls and stuff in that area. There needs to be more.
-Jack Purcell, 16
Quote by theofficialshok
Yeah thrash songs about breakups are kickass, like Megadeth - Tornado of Souls and stuff in that area. There needs to be more.

Also Last Rites/Loved to Deth. The song is about killing your girlfriend who doesn't want you so no one else can have her. Kinda twisted lol but perfect example of putting a thrash twist on things.

Write lyrics about anything it doesn't matter. Try not to make things too specific and obvious sometimes it's better to keep things vague. Also I would avoid writing about demons and greed and such, just my opinion but that path has been beaten down to a point that's it's hard to take seriously.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
mean, lyrics about a breakup, for example, doesn't really fit into thrash, and so on.
I just wanted to say, not that I would write about that, but Megadeth's "In My Darkest Hour" is about Dave breaking up with his girlfriend Diana. But on another note, just write whatever you want to write about.