I have in my possession two new guitars but only one is staying. I got a se 245 and an sg special faded. Both are sweet and would be happy to own either really but , im factoring in what I would use these guitars for. I play mastodon, alice in chains and tool so mostly drop c drop c# and d standard. The sg has a longer length 25" and the se has 24.5". The se has a prs designed stop tail bridge while the sg has a lock tone tun o matic bridge. So the sg would be better suited I think for my playstyle. The se 245 just feels really nice to play because the neck is out of this world smooth and the se looks amazing. Its just so hard to compare right now because the se 245 has stock strings and I cant put on a heavier set because the nut doesnt aloow heavier strings. I told my tech what I want the se to do and he didnt make it sound like it would be a big deal setting it for drop tunings. So have any of you been in a situation like this? what is the overall deciding factors for you guys when you have a crush on two different guitars? Im thinkign that once the prs se 245 is set up and gets some thicker strings that will be one nice guitar.
If it is a Gibson it has a 24.75" or 24.5" scale, so pretty much the same as the 245

You can get an adjustable wraparound bridge for the SE (which I highly advise) then you will have more control over intonation than the TOM style on the SG
www.guitarfetish.com/Chrome-Badass-Style-Intonatable-wraparound-bridge_p_153.html
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
If it is a Gibson it has a 24.75" or 24.5" scale, so pretty much the same as the 245

You can get an adjustable wraparound bridge for the SE (which I highly advise) then you will have more control over intonation than the TOM style on the SG
www.guitarfetish.com/Chrome-Badass-Style-Intonatable-wraparound-bridge_p_153.html

yeah my bad dont knwo why i said 25''. Would u think the se would be a nicer play overall once i get a new nut and thicker strings ?Thats cheap fora bridge i saw tons that were way pricier but not that cheap. thanks
I own a PRS CE22 (I know it is different) and I own a Epi G400. I like them both for different things.
Basically you need to decide between a LP style guitar and a SG either would be solid choice. But if you go the PRS route, I highly suggest getting a adjustable wraparound
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I own a PRS CE22 (I know it is different) and I own a Epi G400. I like them both for different things.
Basically you need to decide between a LP style guitar and a SG either would be solid choice. But if you go the PRS route, I highly suggest getting a adjustable wraparound

Yeah i love the lp shape more , i actually have an sg shape already its an esp ltd viper 1000.What bridge do u suggest? I would like a direct drop in replacement.
Quote by dosamwolfso
Yeah i love the lp shape more , i actually have an sg shape already its an esp ltd viper 1000.What bridge do u suggest? I would like a direct drop in replacement.

The one I linked in my other post is solid and it doesn't cost $75+ either
They have them in gold and black also depending on what you want. I put one on an SE single-cut and it worked just fine, and it didn't feel cheap either

If you have a Viper, get the PRS
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The one I linked in my other post is solid and it doesn't cost $75+ either
They have them in gold and black also depending on what you want. I put one on an SE single-cut and it worked just fine, and it didn't feel cheap either

yeah ill definitely get that if its a direct fit . That was my one concern really was adjustment. The same bridge is used int he single- cut and 245 right?
Unless you are going way off the recommended string gauge the SE bridge will intonate just fine.
I put 10's on my SE245 and used the adjustment screws to lengthen the strings overall a tad and it looks good on my Strobe tuner and sounds good too. The SE Bridge is compensated well after all and the adjustment screws simply move the bridge out farther to accommodate larger gauge strings which require more length.
I
I changed the PUs out in the SE though,the stock 245s sound too modern for me but as someone who's into more modern stuff they may work very well for you.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at May 5, 2015,
Quote by KenG
Unless you are going way off the recommended string gauge the SE bridge will intonate just fine.
I put 10's on my SE245 and used the adjustment screws to lengthen the strings overall a tad and it looks good on my Strobe tuner and sounds good too. The SE Bridge is compensated well after all and the adjustment screws simply move the bridge out farther to accommodate larger gauge strings which require more length.
I
I changed the PUs out in the SE though,the stock 245s sound too modern for me but as someone who's into more modern stuff they may work very well for you.

Yeah my ltd viper has 10 -60 strings on it so i go pretty heavy. too heavy? If so should I get the bridge others have recommended?
Last edited by dosamwolfso at May 5, 2015,
Quote by dosamwolfso
yeah ill definitely get that if its a direct fit . That was my one concern really was adjustment. The same bridge is used int he single- cut and 245 right?

yeah, same bridge
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
yeah, same bridge

alright thanks for the help man and quick responses.
In my experience, PRS's just feel way better. I'd go with that all day. SG's have too much neck dive for me.
you never explicitly if the 'SG special' was gibson or epiphone. i have two gibson SG's and love them. they are different than the PRS's by quite a bit though. i would take the gibson over a PRS SE.

but honestly its kind of a dumb question, you have both in your hands, which do you like more? which do you want to pick up first? which one do you hate to put down? answer that and keep what you like.

also, any guitar can take 10-60's fine with a setup.

also i have no neck dive issues on my SG's. you just don't buy one that does.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you never explicitly if the 'SG special' was gibson or epiphone. i have two gibson SG's and love them. they are different than the PRS's by quite a bit though. i would take the gibson over a PRS SE.

but honestly its kind of a dumb question, you have both in your hands, which do you like more? which do you want to pick up first? which one do you hate to put down? answer that and keep what you like.

also, any guitar can take 10-60's fine with a setup.

also i have no neck dive issues on my SG's. you just don't buy one that does.

Its a gibson. The Sg neck is nice cause its satin but it feels to rough for me. Its tough to deicde because the se 245 is all stock and has wet noodles for strings on it right now and I cannot change gauge until a new nut is cut. That makes it so hard to compare. If I could get a thicker gauge on without a new nut first then it would make the comparison easier. The Sg came with a set of 10-52 on it so it feels tighter for lower tunings which is how I like it.I think the 245 would be nice if a setup was done.
People that say SG's have neck dive have no idea what they're talking about, especially when referring to a SG Special. Epiphone SG's suffer from neck dive as do early 60's SG's but no modern models do.
The strap button is located further up the neck due to the extended joint from the body, this illiminates neck dive.