I've recently watched justin guitars video on bending as I was having trouble with a bend with dips in it and keeping it ringing and not pinging the string above. I've always used my fingers to bend but he says it's in the wrist. That doesn't make any sense I've tried that and without fingers doing the work it doesn't work but I can't get a bend to stay ringing when coming back down to normal if its a really big bend.
Bending is in the fingers and wrist.
Vibrato is only wrist.

At least thats how I've always done it. If you're un able to keep it ringing during a bend you're probably not keeping the string in firm contact with the fret during the whole motion. It takes time and practice for your fingers to gain the strength they need. Slow down and press harder. Switch to lighter gauge strings if you're really struggling with it.
Quote by BassBen93
I've recently watched justin guitars video on bending as I was having trouble with a bend with dips in it and keeping it ringing and not pinging the string above. I've always used my fingers to bend but he says it's in the wrist. That doesn't make any sense I've tried that and without fingers doing the work it doesn't work but I can't get a bend to stay ringing when coming back down to normal if its a really big bend.

Using just your fingers can be inefficient, mechanically. A lot depends on speed of bends as well (fast music vs slow). Obviously the fingers have to be involved.

Try this (I suspect this is what justin guitar is showing, but haven't seen it) ...

1/ Away from guitar, pretend your holding a tennis ball, and look at curvature of your fingers. Make a gap of maybe 2 inches between thumb tip and 1st finger tip. On guitar that curvature must be maintained ... that curve does not flatten out while bending.

2/ Next, keeping same curve, bring your thumb and say your 3rd finger tip together ... pretend you're squeezing across that part of the ball to strengthen your 3rd finger ... this is the action to use on guitar ... the squeeze. Whereas, away from guitar, you just close your finger(s) and thumb together to squeeze, on guitar, the wrist can be brought into play also ... as below

3/ make sure, where possible, that you don't just use one finger on the string being bent. E.g. if your using your 3rd finger to fret the note to be bent, then add your 2nd finger behind, even in same fret space. Watch the curvature as above.

4/ With fingers on string, be aware of the edge of your first finger touching the edge of the fret board ... that edge should be nearish the knuckle.

5/ Now squeeze, always keep in contact with that edge, but at same time rotate the wrist ... you can lock that finger curve, and make use of the strength of the rotation from the wrist, plus the thumb squeeze, to bring your fingers towards your thumb, and hence carry the string with you (bending it).

6/ Use your right hand to mute the neighbour string (the one that may get hit when you bend).

Good luck, cheers, Jerry
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at May 7, 2015,