Ever had a guitar you really REALLY wanted? only to find out it's been discontinued?

I feel this way for the Jackson KE5FR Model. I had that guitar as my desktop pic and my phone background pic. I really really wanted that model. I always imagined that after high school I'd save up enough for it and buy one one day.

Well now I'm in college with enough money but it looks like the model is discontinued. All the results on google lead to either out-of-stock pages or outdated articles.

I guess I could always go for the KEXMG, but I'd just be settling; it wont be the guitar I yearned for so. I'm not sure what I can do because this is the first time I wanted something so much that I don't know where to find. Does anyone have any experience on this? Should I look for a second hand one? Should I email Jackson? lol idk
Last edited by Genesith at May 6, 2015,
Is buying guitars on Ebay safe? Reviews of the seller seem pretty positive but it just seems iffy to me. I will consider it though.
I would have bought another Yamaha SG if they were available... I'm talking about the 1000, 2000 or 3000 rather than the ultra boring 1820 that's also ridiculously expensive. All I can find are beat up vintage ones on ebay.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
A Jackson Matt Tuck Signature Randy Rhoads in Silver Sparkle with Black Bevels...Here's a picture of it.

I actually play a Jackson RRMG now and Matt Tuck's a big reason why I love the shape of a Randy Rhoads.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Last edited by GraceByDeath at May 6, 2015,
I really wanted an epiphone wildkat but found they were discontinued

They have stated doing them again now but I've got a hollow body now, so I'm not really bothered with it anymore
Yes the Yamaha SA503 Troy van Leeuwen signature guitar. But eventualy i found it second hand Still my main guitar!
Yup, most of the classic Iceman models. The new ones are too shredder for me.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by Genesith
Is buying guitars on Ebay safe? Reviews of the seller seem pretty positive but it just seems iffy to me. I will consider it though.
Its fine.By the looks of it the seller it is a online music store.Ive bought pretty much most of my guitars online.Most of the time they need a setup which is pretty much expected.The only problem i ever had was one i bought one from ebay.He was a private seller and didnt package/wrap it well enough and it turned up damaged.It had a crack where the nut is and had a few chips of paint out of the body just below the pickups and strap bolt.I wasnt pleased and noticed it as soon as i unpacked it.Basically i gave him a chance to claim on his insurance he was knocked back so i opened a case on ebay and sent him it back.Didnt cost me a penny as i got it all back plus the return postage.It could have all been avoided if he packed it better.

I would buy again if i saw something i liked.
Nope, 57' Strats and 62' Jaguars are a bit too rare and expensive for my wallet.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by HomerSGR
I would have bought another Yamaha SG if they were available... I'm talking about the 1000, 2000 or 3000 rather than the ultra boring 1820 that's also ridiculously expensive. All I can find are beat up vintage ones on ebay.

Put Frets Guitar Centre in the UK on the chase. For a long time the SG3000 was only available in Japan or at Frets, and only in black or wine (burst). The SG2000 was listed in catalogs here in the US a while back, but actually putting hands on one was near impossible. The 3000 is on my bucket list, but the 2000 is probably actually the best guitar of the three (it comes with the sustain block under the bridge, and I don't think the 3000 does).
Quote by Genesith

I guess I could always go for the KEXMG, but I'd just be settling; it wont be the guitar I yearned for so.

It won't be the last time this happens <G>.

I've usually found that the aftermath of yearning for something and then actually finding it and acquiring it is disappointment and buyer's remorse. It's rare that the ownership experience meets my inflated anticipation.
I liked the Jackson Stars Marty Friedman Kelly or the RRJ2-SP laiho style they made. 15 year old me would have 3 each
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Gibson Gothic Explorer.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Iv had a few out of production guitars I have wanted there always something I keep an eye out for on local listing. There's nothing wrong with ebay if your careful, but I like to avoid shipping where I can.

Currently gassing for a charvel model 2. They have been out of production since 89.
Ever had a guitar you really REALLY wanted? only to find out it's been discontinued?

Soooooo, so many.

Quote by robje2000
Yes the Yamaha SA503 Troy van Leeuwen signature guitar. But eventualy i found it second hand Still my main guitar!

Ditto all that! Those are killer guitars, and I have wanted one since they first hit the market. I still see them every once in a while. But I have never been able to find one when I had the $$$.

Instead, I wound up with a very similar Reverend Manta Ray 390 LE. Quite happy with it...and had enough left over for some kewl pedulz. Now, to find another one...because it was only made in 2011.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 6, 2015,
more than i could count ove the last 35 years.

funjy thing about that is that sometimes by the time you actually get it you don't really want it anymore. i bought a Hamer Diablo a few years back that i would have killed for back in 93 when they first came out. the guitar was fantastic played great and sounded great BUT...... it was no longer me. by the time i had gotten it i had already stopped using floyds and had gone in a different direction playing wise. i kind knew this when i bought it but i just couldn't resist as i got it for a steal. kept it for about 4 months and then ended up trading it for my 89 Strat Plus Deluxe (a guitar i'd never dreamed about)
yep, but I bought one when I still could, so no big deal.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I always wanted a C1 Classic and not even 6 months after I found one used Schecter brought it back in to production. Way back in the day I wanted a Tremonti model but it was while it was discontinued because of the lawsuit mess. When they finally came back out with it I snatched one up. Haven't really had bad GAS for one that's been gone. One of the Toronado GTs that Fender did 10 or so years ago with the racing stripe would be cool I guess.
i really like the Candy Cola Stratocaster... they can be had, i just have too many guitars and not enough $$$$$ right now. I think one day i will get one.

Also would love to own a very specific style Les Paul (black with ivory binding... chrome hardware)... again, not hard to find but Les Pauls are now priced a bit higher than their weight in gold on the new and used market so there is pretty much no chance of me ever buying one.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
you can still get virtually any guitar ever made. maybe you have to look used, but they are out there.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
you can still get virtually any guitar ever made. maybe you have to look used, but they are out there.

but dude that takes actual effort
Quote by monwobobbo
but dude that takes actual effort

if it ain't worth the effort, it's not worth having.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
if it ain't worth the effort, it's not worth having.

of course it is. being lazy in no way detracts from the value of any item.
Quote by gregs1020

Speaking of which I might have just found my DREAM guitar. A Matt Tuck Jackson Signature. OH MY GOSH...I'd have to trade in both of my guitars to get it though...Still considering it.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by GraceByDeath
Speaking of which I might have just found my DREAM guitar. A Matt Tuck Jackson Signature. OH MY GOSH...I'd have to trade in both of my guitars to get it though...Still considering it.

well just be sure that it is your DREAM guitar. i've had a couple only to find out that dreams were better than reality.
I've wanted it since I was 17. lol. Hopefully I can play it and keep my wits about me...Already considering trading in both to garuntee I get it, or possibly just selling one and hoping I get close to what I need.
Quote by Roc8995

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Yes and no.

The story starts around '93-'94 here in Denmark. A small country with 5-6 million people and so the gear we see in videos, catalogs etc. ain't here unless you might see one in the 2 biggest stores as that was the only one for this country out of x numbers going to Scandinavia. Though you can always order and wait.

But anyway I got a bunch of catalogs from the local store and my having a Jackson desire went for that one to look through first. I found the one under Personal Choice PCS category the original Rhoads built to the exact specs of late RR.

So what to do???? A $5000 guitar and not anywhere to try it out or any Rhoads though I did manage to find one 2 years before though it needed work so no to that.

By 1996 I drove myself nuts so I took action and put the desired Jackson on order then found a job to pay for it. That guitar on that page was what I told the yellow paper music store over the phone. Thank god he had the same catalog or something.

The Jackson RR arrived december 1996 and I went in January to get it home. When I opened up the case for the first I could see that it was the right one. Later after trying it out and to some paperwork I found the serial number to be RR2772.

What is so special here?

RRxxxx are for custom shop Jacksons only!! Normally I would have PCSxxxx and those Jacksons I have seen online but I did not realize that Jackson took it as a custom order. I was used to a stock somewhere.

So never say never when it comes to a Jackson guitar and the build options.