Page 1 of 2
Im having dental work done Thursday. first of many. my molars need fillings. and I have still have my wisdom teeth that need to come out. Ive been popping advils for the past 2 or 3 months. but I digress.

Thursday theyre doing a section (quad), that needs 3 fillings. how long do you think Ill be in the chair and what kind of pain should I expect? would it be any worse than the pain im experiencing now? (my painscale is currently 6 to an 8 without advils)

after this I still have the same thing on another quad, and one more that only needs 2 fillings. then I get my wisdom teeth out, and then two molars pulled that are beyond salvageable. after all that I should be good other than regular cleanings.

take care of your darn teeth guys, that's all I can say...and no Im not British, Im American. holy ****!
::Support Our Troops::

To all the men and women in uniform, thank you for serving our country.
We love you. God Bless.
Last edited by neptune1988 at May 6, 2015,
Good news: molar fillings are usually much faster than if they're in your front teeth
cat
My sister got 3 fillings a few days ago (took about an hour.) She was in a lot of pain afterwards for about 3 days, to the point that the Hydrocodone they gave her wasn't helping any. Have fun.
I have plenty of fillings, but the drilling never really hurt. The most painful part is when they spray cold air/water on the cavity to clean it out. The sound of the drill is really annoying though. I hate that sound.
If the dentist tells you "it's pressure, not pain", feel free to apply some "pressure" to his face. I had this with a hack dentist extracting my tooth when I was screaming the surgery down in agony.

If you have a decent dentist you will hardly feel any pain. Maybe the anaesthetic needle jab, maybe not if they've used a swab first. Sometimes it feels like there's a lot of pain "next door".

Still, it can be an extremely unpleasant experience. Fillings should be OK though. Compared to root canal work or crowns they're nothing.
^I've never actually gotten an anesthesia for work on my cavities, and I've had some pretty serious drilling done to my teeth.
molar fillings don't hurt at all as far as i know, shit's pretty simple usually

i've had my wisdom teeth taken out and i've had a root canal (on a front tooth). the root canal didn't hurt at all (hooray for anesthesia). The wisdom teeth removal wasn't that bad, just uncomfortable - but I also got them taken out when they recommended it, before there was any actual pain.
It should take about an hour. I've had a fair number of fillings over the years, and they never really caused much pain. They give you a nice injection in your gums, and that mostly takes care of the pain. If it hurts a lot, just stop them and say something. A good dentist should be able to do routine fillings without causing much pain.
Quote by Pastafarian96
you're going to have an interesting time methinks.

I figure it shouldn't take more than hour, at least that's my estimate. and its the composite fillings theyre using.

but yeah, im kinda scared. all I keep thinking is afterwards there may be a forecast of
PAIN-STORM!!!

We love you. God Bless.
fillings have never hurt for me, and I did four in a day once.

people said wisdom teeth was gonna hurt but I was on mad painkillers and wasn't bothered at all

idk about the time but yeah, good luck it should be fine
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
wisdom teeth and pulling molars I aint worried about cause Ill be under for those. only worry there may be that so-called "re-emergence" phenomenon where you wake up mid-way thru the procedure. other than that I aint worried about wisdom or molar pulling/

We love you. God Bless.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
7.2 hours and much pain

typical Polish exaggeration. (Im Czech on my dads side so its okay if I rip on Eastern Europe)

when is the next train coming? soon?

oh yes, very soon. they are building it now.

^
from movie the Eurotrip

We love you. God Bless.
Quote by Baby Joel
fillings have never hurt for me, and I did four in a day once.

Quote by neptune1988
wisdom teeth and pulling molars I aint worried about cause Ill be under for those. only worry there may be that so-called "re-emergence" phenomenon where you wake up mid-way thru the procedure. other than that I aint worried about wisdom or molar pulling/

So do they put you under completely for that? Still have all my wisdom teeth, but two of my teeth were pulled - one molar and one incisor (I had this weird thing where a third incisor was coming through after I had already gotten a permanent tooth there) - and they just gave me something that only numbed part of my face.
Quote by neptune1988
typical Polish exaggeration. (Im Czech on my dads side so its okay if I rip on Eastern Europe)

when is the next train coming? soon?

oh yes, very soon. they are building it now.

^
from movie the Eurotrip

Not Polish

Jesteś suka
yesterday i had two cavities filled on two of my front teeth. constantly having acid in my mouth for a few months absolutely demolished my already shit teeth. well water, soda, etc

took 25 minutes. didn't hurt but it made me extremely uncomfortable.
molars i've done in the past were nothing
i don't know why i feel so dry
ill be at the dentists in half an hour

who knows what sort of terrible things he'll do to my teeth, they're ****ed up. already have fillings like urrywhere, i'm pretty used to going to the dentist. ill lay down there, request larger doses of local anaesthetic and try to take a nap
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
If you've got a good dentist, the pain at the time will be minimal. (If you use a sedation dentist, it will be nonexistent)

"How Long" is immaterial. It takes as long as it takes. It's not like you can negotiate the length of time the process will take.

Residual pain is dependent on how hard it is for the dentist to actually do the work. The more difficulty they have, the more residual pain.

Get drugs. Even if you think you don't need them, get them anyway. Painkillers aren't just for your convenience, pain causes stress in your body which slows the healing process. (Or so I've been told by a good friend of mine who's been practicing medicine for many years.)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
"How Long" is immaterial. It takes as long as it takes. It's not like you can negotiate the length of time the process will take.

Yeah, but seeing as this is such a common procedure, surely someone could get a very good idea of how long it generally takes. Which is what I think TS was going for here.
If you're worried about pain, any dentist would definitely explain the procedure and let you know what analgesic or anesthetic they're going to use. The fact that you've been taking advil so often is really, really bad. NSAIDS are not meds that are meant to be taken long term in the way you're using them. You're probably causing yourself more gastric distress than pain relief. Stop taking them immediately.

As for the time of 3 fillings, probably an hour. The pain afterwards is due to the swelling, which an normally be fixed by an NSAID. However, since you've probably desensitized their effectiveness on you by now, it's hard to say if they're work. I highly doubt you're going to get much else above an OTC med for a filling. Just eat soft foods and use warm compresses like the old days.

It's not that bad, I've had a filling. I was 12, and I wasn't a little pansy about it either. It sucks for a day, but it goes away pretty fast. Just watch movies or play games and take your mind off of it and you'll be surprised how fast the pain subsides.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I never had any pain from the 2 fillings that I got in my molars. Didn't take long either. But the wisdom teeth extraction will give you some pain for a while, I'm sure.
Zero cavities and keeping my wisdom teeth cause I've got a big mouth.

TS: I can't see it being longer than 2 hours. Dentists are pretty good at being efficient. The more people they get through, the more money they get.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Burgery
ill be at the dentists in half an hour

who knows what sort of terrible things he'll do to my teeth, they're ****ed up. already have fillings like urrywhere, i'm pretty used to going to the dentist. ill lay down there, request larger doses of local anaesthetic and try to take a nap

twas pretty chill, except for the 400 bucks. ridiculous. he fixed my front teeth tho so i look sexy af
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by neptune1988
Im having dental work done Thursday. first of many. my molars need fillings. and I have still have my wisdom teeth that need to come out. Ive been popping advils for the past 2 or 3 months. but I digress.

Wisdom teeth, generally, are no big deal. Do it at an oral surgeon's, they are specialized and do it all day long.

As a generalist I can do it, and will do it. It's not what I do all day, though, so oral surgeons are your best bet. I tell my own patients that.

Quote by neptune1988
Thursday theyre doing a section (quad), that needs 3 fillings. how long do you think Ill be in the chair and what kind of pain should I expect? would it be any worse than the pain im experiencing now? (my painscale is currently 6 to an 8 without advils)

How long? Probably an hour or so. Depends on the fillings.

Pain? I would expect little to none. The shot will hurts, but a good dentist (like me ) will not hurt you that bad. I pride myself on giving as painless an injection as possible. Some DDS's have a reputation of being aggressive, others not. I try to be not aggressive - which is to say aggressive is jamming that shit in there in, like, 5 s.

I've had dentists do that to me, it hurts like hell! Jerks.

Post-op you will feel a bit of soreness at the injection site, but the teeth shouldn't hurt. You will most likely have sensitivity, though, which means it might hurt to eat ice or chew on crunchy stuff for a while.

That sucks. There's not much you can do about it (sensitivity), but just know it's normal. Also know that having a few fillings is normal, too, so no you are not a toothless goofball.

I've got a bunch of metal and shit in my mouth!

No biggie.

Quote by neptune1988
take care of your darn teeth guys, that's all I can say...and no Im not British, Im American. holy ****!

Ha ha.

Couldn't have said it better.

Sucks to play "catch-up" when you haven't been to the dentist in a while, but you're doing the right thing.

You're good. Chill, and relax as much as possible. Good for you taking care of this.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Anyone know the cost of wisdom teeth extraction? Someone in my family told me that if I wanted to go to a surgeon and go under anesthesia, it wouldn't be covered by my dental insurance.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
Anyone know the cost of wisdom teeth extraction? Someone in my family told me that if I wanted to go to a surgeon and go under anesthesia, it wouldn't be covered by my dental insurance.

Who's your insurance?

Call them.

Quote by JustRooster
If you're worried about pain, any dentist would definitely explain the procedure and let you know what analgesic or anesthetic they're going to use. The fact that you've been taking advil so often is really, really bad. NSAIDS are not meds that are meant to be taken long term in the way you're using them. You're probably causing yourself more gastric distress than pain relief. Stop taking them immediately.

As for the time of 3 fillings, probably an hour. The pain afterwards is due to the swelling, which an normally be fixed by an NSAID. However, since you've probably desensitized their effectiveness on you by now, it's hard to say if they're work. I highly doubt you're going to get much else above an OTC med for a filling. Just eat soft foods and use warm compresses like the old days.

It's not that bad, I've had a filling. I was 12, and I wasn't a little pansy about it either. It sucks for a day, but it goes away pretty fast. Just watch movies or play games and take your mind off of it and you'll be surprised how fast the pain subsides.

funny enough I did go to the doctor for stomach pain thinking it was gastritis (which Ive had before and it felt like that's what it was), did lab work, occult test, wanted me to do upper GI series but passed on it as I was surprised how toxic the barium actually is. long story short, the stomach pain went away on its own about a week later. no stomach problems since. but yeah NSAIDs probably didn't help it :p

and I didn't even think of building a tolerance for NSAIDs. probably explains why it took me 1600mg yesterday just to make it bearable.

The pills! They do nothing! LOL

man have I got health problems...

We love you. God Bless.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic

Ha ha.

Couldn't have said it better.

Sucks to play "catch-up" when you haven't been to the dentist in a while, but you're doing the right thing.

You're good. Chill, and relax as much as possible. Good for you taking care of this.

like they say, if we all took care of our teeth, they wouldn't need power tools.

We love you. God Bless.
Quote by ultimate-slash

So do they put you under completely for that? Still have all my wisdom teeth, but two of my teeth were pulled - one molar and one incisor (I had this weird thing where a third incisor was coming through after I had already gotten a permanent tooth there) - and they just gave me something that only numbed part of my face.

as far as I know yes, you are completely under. like unconscious out.

We love you. God Bless.
I opted to be awake at the oral surgeons for my wisdom teeth. It's a cheaper option, and I was kind of curious anyway.

You pay for everything, and getting knocked out is a billable code. You also have to recover from it, not eat for 12 hours before and after, etc., etc.

I wanted to leave that place, play a gig and have me some beers afterwards!

Totally doable without the knock-out juice.

I had 4 Teeth removed to have a brace fitted,

Firstly no you wont feel any pain becuase of anasthetic them numb you with.

But when you get home I suggest you dont talk and just go to bed as it will probably hurt for a few hours.

Take some pain killers before hand

After that you will be fine for the next 3 days to a weekyour probably best to eat food like soup noodles stuff you can swallow whole and doesnt need chewing

after a week you should be back to normal

well that was me anyway what do I know about teeth! Im just a guitar geek!
Quote by Arby911
\

Get drugs. Even if you think you don't need them, get them anyway. Painkillers aren't just for your convenience, pain causes stress in your body which slows the healing process. (Or so I've been told by a good friend of mine who's been practicing medicine for many years.)

You really shouldn't need any for standard fillings. I've had quite a few, and never experienced any real residual pain. Maybe a bit of soreness for a day or two, but nothing an Advil couldn't cure.
Quote by Burgery
twas pretty chill, except for the 400 bucks. ridiculous. he fixed my front teeth tho so i look sexy af

viking qties gonna be all over your dik :

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by daytripper75
You really shouldn't need any for standard fillings. I've had quite a few, and never experienced any real residual pain. Maybe a bit of soreness for a day or two, but nothing an Advil couldn't cure.

Then you don't need painkillers.

But you could use a toothbrush...

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
It could be so much worse

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much worse

I've attained a phobia of things scratching my teeth because I've spent hundreds of hours in the dentist's and orthodontics's chairs and veneers are basically a nightmare
Last edited by whywefight at May 6, 2015,
Quote by neptune1988
funny enough I did go to the doctor for stomach pain thinking it was gastritis (which Ive had before and it felt like that's what it was), did lab work, occult test, wanted me to do upper GI series but passed on it as I was surprised how toxic the barium actually is. long story short, the stomach pain went away on its own about a week later. no stomach problems since. but yeah NSAIDs probably didn't help it :p

and I didn't even think of building a tolerance for NSAIDs. probably explains why it took me 1600mg yesterday just to make it bearable.

The pills! They do nothing! LOL

man have I got health problems...

Yeah, NSAIDs will fuck up your stomach if you take them for an extended period of time, I've been on them for years. I've never built a tolerance to them though.
I have done fillings in the past. After the first few I sometimes opted for non anesthesia, simply because it costs money. Not much, about 14 euro's, but still.

Offcourse it all depends if the root is affected, and my dentinst at least, could tell me if it was doable without anesthetic. When affected at the root things are very different, but upper surface cavities, can be almost totally painless. I felt a peak of no more than 6 seconds where it really feels intense, the rest is more like drying the filling and shaping it so it doesn't feel weird/digs into the teeth on the opposite jaw.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at May 6, 2015,
Quote by Thrill-house
Yeah, NSAIDs will fuck up your stomach if you take them for an extended period of time, I've been on them for years. I've never built a tolerance to them though.

like how bad? like what I mentioned just acute stomach irritation? or do you mean more like give you polyps, and ulcers and shit? cause now you got me worryin lol

We love you. God Bless.
#1 thing I can say is relax. It's not that bad, but the people who do complain of problems are those who come in tense with a 180/135 blood pressure, white-knuckling the arms of the chair.

Don't do that.

Page 1 of 2