Page 1 of 2
Like many of you, I get a doctors check up once every 5 years. But I think it's a waste of 50 bucks to have them to check your weight and pulse. They ask you a bunch of subjective questions, and really wouldn't be able to tell anything about your current condition unless they took an x-ray and blood sample, which they don't. If I had cancer or a hidden disease, unless the symptoms started to bother me on a daily basis, the doctors most likely have no idea.

What do you guys and girls think?
Are checkups pointless for the most part, unless you have something to tell the doctor directly
I don't go to the Doctors unless I'm specifically very ill. Which isn't very often, I think I've been one in the past 8 or 9 years.
$50 in five years is really not that bad to getting a checkup that could potentially fine symptoms and illnesses that you are not aware of
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by TwoPlusTwo
Like many of you, I get a doctors check up once every 5 years. But I think it's a waste of 50 bucks to have them to check your weight and pulse. They ask you a bunch of subjective questions, and really wouldn't be able to tell anything about your current condition unless they took an x-ray and blood sample, which they don't. If I had cancer or a hidden disease, unless the symptoms started to bother me on a daily basis, the doctors most likely have no idea.

Are checkups pointless for the most part, unless you have something to tell the doctor directly

paying for a check-up...

hahahaha

tbf though they are pretty lame, just a blood pressure check here then weight and height to tell me some flawed bmi shit. and it's only done by a nurse in a quick thing.

here if you feel ****ed up you just go to the doctors whenever. biggest pain is getting an appt outside of working hours or taking time off just to go during the day.

I go to the doctors maybe once every 2 years for some random issue that doesn't resolve itself quick, ie ear infection or something.

Check-ups are actually useful in that you may end up presenting problems that you considered too minor and negligible to warrant a proper appt and turn out to be serious things that get caught early. Also help greatly with trying to work out larger health trends and issues even if you are only contributing your weight and blood pressure. No harm helping add to that data pool, though I can understand paying to do so could be pretty annoying.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I've always been curious about how paying for healthcare works. Do you just walk up to the desk and say "I'll have a full check-up with a side of blood-work." "Would you like an MRI with that for only $100 more?" "No, I better not. I'm watching my wallet."
get operation
get bill
use insurance
not covered
debt for the rest of your life

and tbh that's one of the reasons why House is a total dick of a doctor. He gets like ct scans and mri's and all these crazy tests and then person has like a $500,000 bill or something cause House was curious about something
it's all coming back

Quote by theguitarist
paying for a check-up...

hahahaha

tbf though they are pretty lame, just a blood pressure check here then weight and height to tell me some flawed bmi shit. and it's only done by a nurse in a quick thing.

here if you feel ****ed up you just go to the doctors whenever. biggest pain is getting an appt outside of working hours or taking time off just to go during the day.

I go to the doctors maybe once every 2 years for some random issue that doesn't resolve itself quick, ie ear infection or something.

Check-ups are actually useful in that you may end up presenting problems that you considered too minor and negligible to warrant a proper appt and turn out to be serious things that get caught early. Also help greatly with trying to work out larger health trends and issues even if you are only contributing your weight and blood pressure. No harm helping add to that data pool, though I can understand paying to do so could be pretty annoying.

It's so good to know that if you are ill that you shouldn't have to shell out your money to get it looked at most of the time.

Also I regularly give blood so they check your blood and let you know any serious shit when that happens.
5 year minimalist checkups are a good way to die of what would have been a curable affliction if it had been caught early enough.

I get a full workup annually, bloodwork, full body ct etc.

It's mandated by my key person insurance, but I'd do it in any case since I have several good reasons to want to live.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I don't go to the Doctors unless I'm specifically very ill. Which isn't very often, I think I've been one in the past 8 or 9 years.

This. I went once like 5 years ago when I got this horrible bacteria in greece. Medication in greece didn´t work, medication here made it go away in like 2 days.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by TwoPlusTwo

I don't think regularly getting exposed to x-rays is a very good idea if you're otherwise healthy.
And does anyone happen to know what they would normally test for in a non-specific blood test? I can imagine some common stuff, but I don't imagine them testing blood for every known disease just for the hell of it.
I went to the doctor for the first time in over 8 years last year, I told the doctor that I have had stiff joints for like five years, I have hemorrhoids, and a slight erectile problem. She catches that I had pretty high blood pressure (like 158) and she wanted me to get an X-Ray, an EKG, and some blood tests including thyroid check. My heart was fine, and my thyroid was fine, I just had somewhat high cholesterol and a slight vitamin D deficiency. I basically paid a few hundred dollars to be told I need to eat food that I can't afford on the reg and to quit smoking (even if I stopped paying for cigarettes I wouldn't be able to afford half of my meals to consist of the stuff she recommended), that's stuff I know I have to do. She did have me take a shit sample to test it since I said there was blood in my toilet paper, I'm not sure if I got charged for that but I haven't even heard back, probably because it's hemorrhoids like I said it was. She seemed pretty shocked about my erectile problem but then forgot about it and pretty much ignored my joint stiffness entirely, all she cared about was my blood pressure and to a lesser extent the blood toilet paper.

To OP, getting a regular checkup is a good idea (regular as in yearly). It is shitty that we have to get these stupid tests and pay out of our ass for them, but that's the system's fault.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by TwoPlusTwo

It's to see if you're becoming a risk for long-term conditions such as prehypertension, diabetes, etc.

You can only base evidence claims for an increase or deficiency in your body's functions after you've already established a 'healthy' baseline. Now that your doctor has years of data to compare, any sort of abnormality would be immediately noticed and help them to a diagnosis of anything that's off.

And you get a checkup for only $50? You know how man people don't get that privilege? That's amazing, you should go every 2 years! Don't take your health care for granted, some people in other countries are fighting for rice off trucks and you get to have empirical facts about your health on records for years to come to help with any future health problems you may have for an occasional Ulysses.

Quote by ultimate-slash
I don't think regularly getting exposed to x-rays is a very good idea if you're otherwise healthy.
And does anyone happen to know what they would normally test for in a non-specific blood test? I can imagine some common stuff, but I don't imagine them testing blood for every known disease just for the hell of it.

X-rays are very safe. You can get one once a week and never see a result. Ask any X-ray Tech.

Also, full bloodwork is about the only way to catch many diseases. If you can get it as cheap as $50, I'd run one yearly. It'll catch many forms of cancer before tumors start to grow, it'll let you know what your risk is of developing cardiac long term problems, it can give you specifics as to what you're missing in your diet and what you should supplement.

Hell, it can find out if you aren't displaying enough hormones and could lead a clinician to find out if the output of your thyroids will deteriorate over a period of 10 years. These are things you can catch nearly immediately and take care of before they get bad enough for surgeries.

TL;DR: If a full doc's visit is that cheap, don't be a dipshit. Go. Go to the doctor and take care of yourselves.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at May 6, 2015,
US healthcare blows. Doesn't work for anyone who don't make a good chunk of change.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
there are two types of people in the world

people who are 100% healthy and people with hidden, deadly diseases

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Haven't been to a doctor in probably 8 years, and I've only gotten really sick maybe two or three times since then, and it was just the flu so there was nothing really to be done anyway except stay home and rest.

I need to have blood work done at some point in the near future since I've never had it done, but I don't think anything is wrong with me. Sure, I need to eat less sodium and carbs and blah blah blah but I don't need a doctor to tell me that.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
US healthcare blows. Doesn't work for anyone who don't make a good chunk of change.

This is true to some extent.

There are ways around that, places you can go. It does take planning, and more than your fare share of research and a 7-course meal of responsibility...

..but it can be done and people do it.

Although he's a Bible freak, I like Dave Ramsey. He does a decent job educating regular folks on money matters. One bit of advice he gives is to save for health care.

Carrying a high deductible is a good idea. So what if you pay $5000 for that major surgery? Insurance covers the other $495,000.

You can absorb $5k of debt in your life. Not fun, but doable.

Think of it this way: I like beer. Okay, so a six-pack of beer a night costs me about $500 a month. Wow! That's a lot, right?

Well, I'm spending it. I'm also (probably, if I'm most people) spending $600 for my car payment.

A decent Blue Cross plan runs $500-600 a month for a healthy single adult. How do I know? I priced it recently, bought a plan ($550/mo).

That's a lot, but doable.

Doesn't cover breast implants or liposuction, but whatever. Covers heart attacks.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

lol people that have to pay per treatment. never heard of health insurance?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Bubonic Chronic

Think of it this way: I like beer. Okay, so a six-pack of beer a night costs me about $500 a month. Wow! That's a lot, right?

Shit, I wish I could afford to buy a $15 six-pack of craft beer every day...
Quote by Neo Evil11
lol people that have to pay per treatment. never heard of health insurance?

Ever heard of deductibles?
Quote by JustRooster

Yes. How ****ing high are the deductibles in the USA then?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
http://www.kiplinger.com/article/insurance/T027-C000-S002-picking-the-best-health-insurance-for-2015.html

Large employers (those with at least 1,000 employees) surveyed by the National Business Group on Health expect their health insurance costs to rise by 5%, on average, in 2015, about the same as the 2014 increase. These employers plan to pass along some of the extra cost to employees through higher premiums and deductibles and increased cost sharing. The average deductible for the most popular plan offered by large employers continues to grow, reaching $1,000 for employee-only coverage and $2,325 for family coverage. Smaller employers tend to have even higher deductibles.
Quote by Neo Evil11
Yes. How ****ing high are the deductibles in the USA then?

Depends on the plan. The previous insurance I had included a $200 deductible per person, capped at $400 per family (annually) but the current one has a $2000/4000. The first one cost me about $600/mo. for complete 90/10 family coverage, this one is entirely employer paid (which includes $1000/quarter in a medical savings account to cover the deductible) but is 80/20 coverage.

There's no simple answer to your question. I've seen deductibles as high as $10,000
Charles Darwin
Quote by JustRooster

ever heard of Game Theory?
it's all coming back

Quote by Bubonic Chronic

Although he's a Bible freak, I like Dave Ramsey.

ugh i hate bible freaks
it's all coming back

Quote by Jyrgen
Hah hah, paying money for healthcare

Hah hah indeed, since all healthcare is paid for somehow.

Even yours.

We just pay in a different fashion.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Baby Joel
ever heard of Game Theory?

is this about math
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Arby911
Hah hah indeed, since all healthcare is paid for somehow.

Even yours.

We just pay in a different fashion.

i know a couple math things

did you know that there are infinitely many whole number solutions to a^2 + b^2 = c^2
even if you don't count solutions that are just multiples of another, like (2a, 2b,2c) ??
Quote by Eastwinn
i know a couple math things

did you know that there are infinitely many whole number solutions to a^2 + b^2 = c^2
even if you don't count solutions that are just multiples of another, like (2a, 2b,2c) ??

i thought that we're still looking for a proof for that one

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
i thought that we're still looking for a proof for that one

you're thinking of fermat's last theorem, which is that equations of the form a^n + b^n = c^n have no non trivial whole number solutions for n > 2.

it was proven dramatically in 1994 with hundreds of pages of stuff.
yeah i think you're right. for dramatic math proofs

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
there are two types of people in the world

people who are 100% healthy and people with hidden, deadly diseases

No, these are the two types of people in the world: those who have a hidden deadly disease and those who don't have it... YET.
I haven't been to a dentist in about 10 years, which is odd because 1)I worked at a dental clinic and 2)I'm indian and have free healthcare at IHS hospitals

but I visit the hospital quite a bit because I get strep throat just about ever year
I go to the doctor whenever i'm sick for more than a few days because it's cheap and a 15 minute walk from my house and I'd rather get better faster than suffer for 2 weeks

through yearly checkups and other screening procedures I have found that I have PMDD, eczema, am likely to get breast cancer and diabetes, and have chronic low blood pressure. Not all of these are easy to treat or eliminate the risks of but I'd rather know about them than live in ignorance about my body. After all, I'm gonna be stuck with it for the next few decades so I might as well get to know it as well as I can
cat
I think I might have had a checkup when I was like two or something. other than that I've only been to the doctor twice in my life to get shots for school w/ no check up and that's it hmu.

inb4 I die
Page 1 of 2